Contribute
Register

A Beginner's Guide to Creating a Custom USB SSDT

Thanks, finally I made my usb ssdt following your instruction. The steps are clear and easy to follow.

Here is a custom port map for a Gigabyte M Gaming 7390 board if this saves anyone the pain is the ass it took me to figure this out. Just drop in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI. Then open Clover Configurator and go to ACPI on the left side. Add the name of the file including the file extension to the box "Sorted Order". Save. Restart. Cheers.

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC.aml
    660 bytes · Views: 232
If the motherboard has the feature, why not just disable unnecessary USB 2/3 ports to get below the 15 port limit?

I ask because that's what I originally did, disable everything except 01-04, 07, 08, 12 (only 2.0 port, bluetooth header) in the bios. Black tape to cover the non-functional ports, etc. Sleep, wake, it all works fine.

So for curiosity sake I've now gone through and re-enabled all of the ports in the bios, followed the guide to the letter and I have basically the exact same thing I had before.

Am I missing something?

(I used the clover patches to fix the XHC designation, but otherwise everything is stock)

If the motherboard has the feature, why not just disable unnecessary USB 2/3 ports to get below the 15 port limit?

I ask because that's what I originally did, disable everything except 01-04, 07, 08, 12 (only 2.0 port, bluetooth header) in the bios. Black tape to cover the non-functional ports, etc. Sleep, wake, it all works fine.

So for curiosity sake I've now gone through and re-enabled all of the ports in the bios, followed the guide to the letter and I have basically the exact same thing I had before.

Am I missing something?

(I used the clover patches to fix the XHC designation, but otherwise everything is stock)

Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:

Interesting your Z390 BIOS allows you to switch individual ports on or off. So can you choose whether to set a 'live' port as USB2-only or USB3-only too?

Your Asus looks to have 24 possible ports, this might be useful.

:)

EDIT: Looked at the post right above mine, and it seems someone has done this

I’ve looked at this guide and the original guide multiple times, and I’m still curious: Is it possible to only turn-on USB 3.0 for a port to make room for the 15-port limit? I’ve seen people turning on USB 2.0 only for a USB 3.0 port to plug in peripherals like their keyboard, mic, and bluetooth dongle, but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone only turn-on the USB 3.0 of a port. Is it that it’s not do-able? Or is having a USB 3.0 port with no USB 2.0 backwards compatibility just a waste? I was thinking to make one of my 2 front I/O ports exclusively 3.0. Sorry if it’s an obvious question or if it’s clearly written in one of the guides and I just missed it.

Last edited:
EDIT: Looked at the post right above mine, and it seems someone has done this

I’ve looked at this guide and the original guide multiple times, and I’m still curious: Is it possible to only turn-on USB 3.0 for a port to make room for the 15-port limit? I’ve seen people turning on USB 2.0 only for a USB 3.0 port to plug in peripherals like their keyboard, mic, and bluetooth dongle, but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone only turn-on the USB 3.0 of a port. Is it that it’s not do-able? Or is having a USB 3.0 port with no USB 2.0 backwards compatibility just a waste? I was thinking to make one of my 2 front I/O ports exclusively 3.0. Sorry if it’s an obvious question or if it’s clearly written in one of the guides and I just missed it.

Yes, you can "switch on" only the USB3 ports if you want. In the guide I did this just for the Type-C port :thumbup:

To do this when you create your SSDT only specify an SS** port and don't include an HS** one.

There are disadvantages though. If you plug in a USB2 device it will not be recognised.

If I use a USB-C to USB-A adapter in my Type-C port still only USB3 devices can be mounted. For example if I plug in a USB2 flash-drive, it is simply not recognised or mounted.

You make a good point though that as time passes we have fewer and fewer USB2 devices.

Last edited:
Yes, you can "switch on" only the USB3 ports if you want. In the guide I did this just for the Type-C port :thumbup:

To do this when you create your SSDT only specify an SS** port and don't include an HS** one.

There are disadvantages though. If you plug in a USB2 device it will not be recognised.

If I use a USB-C to USB-A adapter in my Type-C port still only USB3 devices can be mounted. For example if I plug in a USB2 flash-drive, it is simply not recognised or mounted.

You make a good point though that as time passes we have fewer and fewer USB2 devices.

Thanks for your detailed reply! The info on the lack of having the 2.0 if I choose to only use the 3.0 port is a good warning in case I ever run into problems. I find myself using only 3.0 thumbdrives/harddrives in my front I/O ports, so I figured I could free-up two more ports on the back since I attach a USB hub to the back.

I haven’t made my custom SSDT yet because I keep getting cold feet about breaking my hackintosh that’s been working for 2-3 good years, but reading through your guide makes me feel a little more confident. I hope to be doing it soon!

@UtterDisbelief :clap: Thank you for this guide. Not only was I was 100% successful in setting up all my ports, I learned a ton in an easy to digest manner. I do this in the evenings after software all day at work. My brain is dead by then... a testament to the great work you've done here.

Side note - the 10.14.4 patches were needed for me while I probed the ports and got their addresses. Worked well, then removed after and everything looks great. :thumbup:

@UtterDisbelief :clap: Thank you for this guide. Not only was I was 100% successful in setting up all my ports, I learned a ton in an easy to digest manner. I do this in the evenings after software all day at work. My brain is dead by then... a testament to the great work you've done here.

Side note - the 10.14.4 patches were needed for me while I probed the ports and got their addresses. Worked well, then removed after and everything looks great. :thumbup:

Great news :thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated.

Hi, I have z87 mother board.
Do I need the following?

XHCI to XHC
EHC1 to EH01
EHC2 to EH02

thank you

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    6.1 KB · Views: 214
Back