Contribute
Register

A Beginner's Guide to Creating a Custom USB SSDT

The ASMedia and VIA ports are under RP* in IOREG. Anyway, what's the advanced way to prevent USB overheating please ? My front case ports are overheating my flash drives.

I fixed the last two missing usb2 only ports issue. I also installed EmuVariableUefi-64.efi driver into Efi. Before EmuVariableUefi-64.efi the system was rebooting when waking from sleep, now instead of reboot, it wakes instantly after go to sleep...:) What do you think? Does this instant wake from sleep has to do with ssdt patching or not. What can I do against that?

I fixed the last two missing usb2 only ports issue. I also installed EmuVariableUefi-64.efi driver into Efi. Before EmuVariableUefi-64.efi the system was rebooting when waking from sleep, now instead of reboot, it wakes instantly after go to sleep...:) What do you think? Does this instant wake from sleep has to do with ssdt patching or not. What can I do against that?

Good work :thumbup:

Yes, your instant wake-from-sleep can be caused by USB. Usually it is caused by BlueTooth - either a USB dongle or a PCIe card with a USB connector to motherboard.

Do you have BT and how is it connected?

Good work :thumbup:

Yes, your instant wake-from-sleep can be caused by USB. Usually it is caused by BlueTooth - either a USB dongle or a PCIe card with a USB connector to motherboard.

Do you have BT and how is it connected?

Finally! It was the lg monitor's inbuilt usb hub. I won't use it. It seems sleep is working now. Longer testing is going underway.

Thank you very much!

Thanks for the guide! It certainly looks less daunting now!

That said; I have a Gigabyte PCIe card that contains 1 USB 3.1 Type A port and one USB 3.1 Type C port. (I know they’ve been renamed but can’t recall how they are now.)(it was also the first generation of USB C, not the latest revision, and it’s not fully powered either (only 500ma I believe.))

Does this PCIe card need to be accounted for in the 15 port patch? Right now it is my only functioning USB 3 ports on my hack.

If I do need to account for them, I see in your instructions that you only allotted USB3 to the C port; I use mine for a 2.0 device, should I allot a 2.0 and 3.0 functions to it?

Last edited:
Thanks for the guide! It certainly looks less daunting now!

That said; I have a Gigabyte PCIe card that contains 1 USB 3.1 Type A port and one USB 3.1 Type C port. (I know they’ve been renamed but can’t recall how they are now.)(it was also the first generation of USB C, not the latest revision, and it’s not fully powered either (only 500ma I believe.))

Does this PCIe card need to be accounted for in the 15 port patch? Right now it is my only functioning USB 3 ports on my hack.

If I do need to account for them, I see in your instructions that you only allotted USB3 to the C port; I use mine for a 2.0 device, should I allot a 2.0 and 3.0 functions to it?

Hi there. Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:

Good question re the PCIe card. Generally the answer is no the add-on isn't a part of the original 15-port limit because it won't be controlled by the Intel chipset XHC.

For your other problem with USB 3 ports. Install the port-limit removal patch appropriate to your macOS and check by scanning IORegistryExplorer for your motherboard ports, as I show in the guide.

If I've got the correct model motherboard, you have a mix of Intel and ASMedia controlled ports:

Intel = will show up in XHC
4x USB 3.1 Gen 1
7x USB 2.0

ASMedia = will probably show up in RP** or similar
2x USB 3.1 Gen 1

So looking at that you should certainly have 4x Intel USB 3.1 Gen 1 available on your motherboard (2x back-panel, 2x internal)

You mention renaming ? What did that apply to? Your motherboard has an XHCI controller and should be enabled. If you had to rename it then check the details.

Finally, that USB-C port is on the PCIe card, not featured on the motherboard, so although it is working would be hard to configure.

:)

@UtterDisbelief Hi, can you please advice me what to do with the overheating USB ports ? You mentioned that it's an advanced topic earlier :)

Hi there. Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:

Good question re the PCIe card. Generally the answer is no the add-on isn't a part of the original 15-port limit because it won't be controlled by the Intel chipset XHC.

For your other problem with USB 3 ports. Install the port-limit removal patch appropriate to your macOS and check by scanning IORegistryExplorer for your motherboard ports, as I show in the guide.

If I've got the correct model motherboard, you have a mix of Intel and ASMedia controlled ports:

Intel = will show up in XHC
4x USB 3.1 Gen 1
7x USB 2.0

ASMedia = will probably show up in RP** or similar
2x USB 3.1 Gen 1

So looking at that you should certainly have 4x Intel USB 3.1 Gen 1 available on your motherboard (2x back-panel, 2x internal)

You mention renaming ? What did that apply to? Your motherboard has an XHCI controller and should be enabled. If you had to rename it then check the details.

Finally, that USB-C port is on the PCIe card, not featured on the motherboard, so although it is working would be hard to configure.

:)

Thanks for the reply! For renaming I just meant how USB 3.1 Gen 1 is now USB 3.2 Gen 0 or some nonsense haha.

So I take it the 4x USB 3 and 7x USB 2 will be configurable for the SSDT, but the 2x ASMedia ports will not, since they’re not controlled by XHCI?

And also that I should probably just ignore the USB C PCIe ports when setting up the SSDT and let them work as they are by themselves?

Thanks so much for the help! So excited to finally put this last part of my hack to rest after almost four years haha!

Thanks for the reply! For renaming I just meant how USB 3.1 Gen 1 is now USB 3.2 Gen 0 or some nonsense haha.

So I take it the 4x USB 3 and 7x USB 2 will be configurable for the SSDT, but the 2x ASMedia ports will not, since they’re not controlled by XHCI?

And also that I should probably just ignore the USB C PCIe ports when setting up the SSDT and let them work as they are by themselves?

Thanks so much for the help! So excited to finally put this last part of my hack to rest after almost four years haha!

That's fine. Check all those ports in IOReg and where the other chipset ports are. Plugging in a device while watching the tree will show you where it is in real-time.

From what I understand, if your PCIe USB card is the Gigabyte GC-USB 3.1, it has an ASMedia chipset. Depending on which version, it *might* be native to macOS.

If it isn't, and you haven't already, you could try installing GenericUSBXHCI.kext by @RehabMan . I'm not sure it is being actively updated but is worth trying. it's included in MultiBeast.

Also if you have a Type-C device to plug in, keep an eye on its temperature. As yours is not a newer, more powerful USB-C it will probably be ok.

:thumbup:

Last edited:
Back