Contribute
Register

980 ti or Fury X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,
I am trying to select the video card to use with my skylake machine that is almost identical to PastryChef's build. I am primarily using it for development with the Adobe suite but would like the ability to casually game in 4k and maybe VR in the future.

I have read that I need a high end video card for 4k gaming, are my two options the 980 Ti or a Fury X? I know that the 980 ti works with the os x drivers but it seems like people have had luck with the Fury X too.

If they are both the same cost which one is a better option? Is freesync really worth it or is the 980 ti a better bet for a hackintosh for its driver stability? What about the Fury Nitro- it's about $60 less than the X version?

XFX Fury X goes for $350 on Amazon. I think the 980ti is more expensive. The water cooling on the Fury X makes for a quiet card. So far the Fury X works fine in Sierra with Apple provided drivers (a minor mod to a couple of kexts ,add 0x73001002 is needed). Not getting full Open CL with the Fury X (driver only enables 16 processor units). Sleep works properly with the Fury X. You need to make the IGPU primary and inject ATI for proper support.

I can't speak to using the 980ti. Folks seem to be happy with it as long as Nvidia continues to support drivers for OS X.

I would go with a GTX 980 Ti as it does have full MacOS support with the additional drivers from nvidia. I think at the moment the AMD option is interesting to keep an eye on, but it is perhaps going to be the spring 2017 before we see which direction Apple takes AMD support when it launches the new iMac models. Treat AMD support as being experimental right now.

nVidia is better for Adobe applications. NVidia 10** series support doesn't look likely before Feb 2017. At the moment things seem stuck for the coming holiday period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back