Contribute
Register

4k 60Hz tip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly Clover does not support patching a framework kext.
Only kexts in /System/Library/Extensions can be clover patched.

The perl command creates a backup though, so its easy to restore to original state if required.

I want to buy the same dell screen, the question is if a Radeon HD 7970 will be able to run 4k (UHD) without problems?
I got a i7 970 with 24 Gig of RAM and osx 10.10 running...

I'm still unable to get the UP2414Q running at 60Hz with my 7870 so I'll be interested to know if you have any success.

P.S. Now it boots properly without going to sleep and no need to power cycle each time. Solution - set BIOS OS Type to Windows8 and change CSM to Never

Didn't work for me. I get a "no bootable device" error if I do that. I don't even get chameleon :S

Did anyone test that patch? Since its working fine on 4K Intel HD4600 laptops, it should be on desktops also.

It creates a .bak backup file of the patched file in the same folder.
Just copy it over from IOKit.bak to IOKit

Did anyone test that patch? Since its working fine on 4K Intel HD4600 laptops, it should be on desktops also.

I also tried the patch but it made no difference unfortunately.

The closest I get is if I use Hamachi framebuffer (albeit modified to suit my card's connections) I get 4k 60Hz display options but output is actually a stretched 1920x2160@60Hz. All other framebuffers suitable for my card's DeviceID only give me 30Hz options for resolutions above 1080p.

The only major difference I can find between Hamachi and the other FBs is the aty_config. It seems the restriction is set somewhere else for ATI cards.

Try applying this patch to your Yosemite installation:

Code:
# Run the following command in order to patch IOKit in order to disable CheckTimingWithRange
sudo perl -i.bak -pe 's|\xB8\x01\x00\x00\x00\xF6\xC1\x01\x0F\x85|\x33\xC0\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\xE9|sg' /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/Current/IOKit
sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/Current/IOKit

This patch unlocks the maximum pixel clock limit in OS X, allowing you to drive a 4K monitor @ 60hz using the Intel HD4600 (and potentially other cards).

It will automatically create a backup as IOKit.bak in the same directory, should you want to revert the patch.

Give it a try and let me know the results.

Thanks for the tip! FYI to anyone else that wants to run this, you gotta install Xcode tools first.

After running the commands, I plugged in my Asus pb287q to my Lenovo m93p tiny workstation (core i5-4570T with desktop class hd4600 I believe, native DisplayPort connection) running Yosemite 10.10.1 and still only get a maximum resolution of 2560x1600 (what it autodetected the first time).

I did enable HiDPI mode separately, and other resolutions work, they just don't run it at native resolution. E.g. 1280x720 is huge (but gorgeous) and actually runs the monitor at 2560x1440. I don't have an option for 1920x1080 (HiDPI).

Windows 8.1 with the latest Intel drivers runs 3840x2160 @ 60Hz just fine with this same exact setup, so what am I missing?

Also, I get a 0xdeadbeef size 0x0 gui.c line 505 error when I boot with this thing plugged into DisplayPort. When it's plugged in via HDMI, it boots fine. Same results across all four combos of: GraphicsEnabler=[Yes,No] and IGPEnabler=[Yes,No]

Tried the fix on a fresh install and still no dice.

@striatedglutes and @the-darkvoid
I'd like to bring your attention to this PikeRAlpha's article and comments. Trying to get somewhere with HD4600 and Ultra HD with Multi Stream Transport Monitor Nec MultiSync EA244UHD 24". What do you think?
the-darkvoid's command stops the boot process of the machine I'm using for testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back