Contribute
Register

3rd Party USB 3.0 - GenericUSBXHCI.kext Working in 10.11.2+

Status
Not open for further replies.
An update for those who may be interested.

Having found the tip to insert a USB stick into a 2.0 slot as it booted from Clover off the system disk, and having installed Paragon NTFS driver for Seagate drives in case my Expansion Drives were not being properly recognised, I found I could get both drives on the desktop. But only for about 10 seconds and the unit then spontaneously reboot.

So I unpowered the USB 3.0 drives and then powered up the PC with the USB stick in a 2.0 slot. I powered up the USB 3.0 drives once on the desktop but again I got a reboot after 10 seconds.

So I then booted without the USB stick and with the external drives unpowered. Once on the desktop I powered up the 3.0 USB drives and they appeared on the desktop. What! Yay! But wait. 10 seconds and reboot. Mmmmm.

I then uninstalled the 1.2.11 GenericUSBXHCI kext in favour of the 1.2.7 that I knew was Ok on Mavericks and Yosemite. I went through the same processes as above.

Well, no matter whether I boot with or without a USB stick in a 2.0 slot, if the USB 3.0 drives are powered on as the unit boots, there will be a reboot after 10 seconds.

However, I booted without a USB stick in a 2.0 slot, and only powered up the 3.0 drives once the desktop was loaded. The drives were mounted by the Paragon drivers (as all previous times), but this time I have the PC stable. No reboots. 2 x USB 3.0 external drives sweetly sat on the desktop. Not sure what speed they may actually be connected or operate at, bit that's progress. Not sure if the above will give anyone a bit of hope to try getting their 3.0 drives to work.

Preliminary testing shows GenericUSBXHCI.kext now working in 10.11.2 with no kernel panics.

The kext, which was unstable and caused kernel panics on 10.11.0 and 10.11.1 is now working for 3rd Party ASMedia and VIA USB 3.0 hubs (Intel ports are native) as well as ASMedia USB 3.1 hubs on 100 series motherboards.

Unfortunately this kext is loading but not working for NEC/Renesas 3rd Party USB 3.0 on H67N and X58, although it does load without kernel panics.

Rehabman's Branch download:
https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads

If you're interested in testing, install using KextBeast to /Library/Extensions. Report your results here.

EDIT: This driver has been added to MultiBeast as USB > 3rd Party USB 3.0
Did not work for me on x-79 deluxe (Asus) Sierra 10.12.3 still trying to get usb 3 going , anyone got any clue?

Did not work for me on x-79 deluxe (Asus) Sierra 10.12.3 still trying to get usb 3 going , anyone got any clue?

Still in GA-Z68X-UD4 :cry:

3rd Party USB 3.0 - GenericUSBXHCI.kext in OS X 10.11.2

Wow USB 3.1 support-

Just tried Rehabman's branch on the Z170 and boom USB 3.1 type-A basic support- the Red port on the rear of the ASUS Maximus VIII works. I don't think it's working much faster than USB 3.0 but at least it works. Test drive is USB 3.1 to SATA adapter with Samsung EVO.

ASMedia® USB 3.1 controller :
1 x USB 3.1 port(s) (1 at back panel, red, Type-A)

View attachment 167357
USB 2.0
View attachment 167358
USB 3.0
View attachment 167359
USB 3.1

I don't understand, in kernel on my config start appleusbxhci and doesn't start generic usb so
01/04/17 13:35:26,000 kernel[0]: 000000.765391 AppleUSBXHCIPCI@00000000: AppleUSBXHCI::getCompanionPortGated: unsupported protocol USB 03.01 I post my ioreg So any suggest?

Attachments

• iMac di Paolo.ioreg
    5 MB · Views: 164

Wow USB 3.1 support-

Just tried Rehabman's branch on the Z170 and boom USB 3.1 type-A basic support- the Red port on the rear of the ASUS Maximus VIII works. I don't think it's working much faster than USB 3.0 but at least it works. Test drive is USB 3.1 to SATA adapter with Samsung EVO.

ASMedia® USB 3.1 controller :
1 x USB 3.1 port(s) (1 at back panel, red, Type-A)

View attachment 167357
USB 2.0
View attachment 167358
USB 3.0
View attachment 167359
USB 3.1
I need help for ga z170x ultragaming

Since it appears Apple fixed the panics that were happening with 10.11 with GenericUSBXHCI.kext, I'll be updating GenericUSBXHCI.kext so it will only attach to XHC controllers that are not Intel and not Fresco Logic.

I'm still fiddling with it to see if there is a way via IOProbeScore vs. having probe check the vendor, but so far not so much... It keeps attaching to my FL1100 controller when it should not.

But 1.2.10 will be a "universal" build that works from 10.7.5 -> 10.11.x.

Note: It is still flakey with my pre-XHC 1.0 NEC/Renesas controller, but that was present in 10.10 too...
So on my ga z170x ultra gaming I have to disable it?

So on my ga z170x ultra gaming I have to disable it?
Update to macOS Sierra so you can use the Thunderbolt 3 USB ports as 3.1 gen 2 instead of just USB 2.0.

Otherwise, GenericUSBXHCI.kext needs to be modified to work with the Thunderbolt 3 USB ports (vendor:8086 device:15b6). That probably requires a simple change to the info.plist. I don't know if GenericUSBXHCI works with the Thunderbolt 3 USB ports.

Update to macOS Sierra so you can use the Thunderbolt 3 USB ports as 3.1 gen 2 instead of just USB 2.0.

Solved upgrade to Sierra :thumbup:.

Last edited:
Hello there,
I've a MacBook Pro 2010 currently running El Capitan.
2 out of 3 of my usbs don't work anymore so I was trying to use the express card slot to add back at least one more usb, and since I need to spend some money I thought it would be better to also add an usb 3.0 port instead of a standard one.
So, any recommendations about the chipset to choose to go with this amazing extension? I would prefer to not spend more than 20$ since I'm going to buy a new machine by the end of the spring.
Kindest regards and thanks for your time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back