Contribute
Register

3rd Party USB 3.0 - GenericUSBXHCI.kext Working in 10.11.2+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @tonymacx86,

I have done a fresh install of Sierra on my Z68mx-ud2h-b3 UEFI U1e. Before the kext the Etron USB3 port were showing in System Information but were unusable. I can see that OSX is trying to apply the vanilla AppleUSBXCHIPCI kext, hence the failing.

I have bios setting XCHI set to Enabled as I don't have the Auto option :cry:.

After the kext install I can no longer see the USB 3 controllers but they are available in IOREG and they are now more usable than before just in USB2.0 mode. I have attached a few images to help explain.

I feel I am close, I just need to understand more. Any help you could offer would be great.:headbang:

I think I need to do some SSDT edits to get all the ports working and enable to full speed with Rehabman's kext

Attachments

• before with kext.png
    before with kext.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 448
  • After.png
    After.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 427
  • USB 2 simulation.png
    USB 2 simulation.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 425
How come this kext hasn't been updated? Are there no developers for it or is everyone going native now? I wish 3rd party USB was being worked on.

How come this kext hasn't been updated? Are there no developers for it or is everyone going native now? I wish 3rd party USB was being worked on.

It is needed primarily with older hardware that most developers are not using.

GenericUSBXHCI.kext now working in OS X 10.11.5 on GA-X58A-UD7 Rev. 1 but does not show any USB3.0 device in sys info under USB, but it does show up under Storage
Hello.
Tell me how you got work?
Could you attach IOReg and output of kextstat command?
Where you install GenericUSBXHCI.kext?

I have Ga-EX58-UD3R (r1.7) and GenericUSBXHCI.kext not working (but it loaded) on Mac os 10.11.6.
thx

Last edited:
Hello.
Tell me how you got work?
Could you attach IOReg and output of kextstat command?
Where you install GenericUSBXHCI.kext?
I have Ga-EX58-UD3R (r1.7) and GenericUSBXHCI.kext not working (but it loaded) on Mac os 10.11.6.
thx
Placed kext on desktop, ran KextBeast and installed kext in L/E. Repair permissions, rebuild caches, reboot.

Hey guys,
I have Gigabyte Z170D3H I tried Rehabman solution, but with no results. The ports can read USB2.0 devices but USB3 cant. Any ideas please? Its killing me, everything else is running smoothly.
OS ver: 10.11.6

Attachments

• Snímka obrazovky 2016-11-22 o 10.48.38.png
    Snímka obrazovky 2016-11-22 o 10.48.38.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 202
I have a GA-h57m-USB3 motherboard and I can confirm this is working with Sierra 10.12.2
Devices aren't listed on System Profiler, but the R/W speeds are USB3. Still not working well with some drives, same behavior as Yosemite

I have a GA-h57m-USB3 motherboard and I can confirm this is working with Sierra 10.12.2
Devices aren't listed on System Profiler, but the R/W speeds are USB3. Still not working well with some drives, same behavior as Yosemite
Sierra has some new USB XHCI drivers.

For example, The Alpine Ridge chip now gets a specific IOClass called "AppleUSBXHCIAR". Previously, in El Capitan, the driver would be the generic "AppleUSBXHCIPCI" which did not enumerate the superspeed ports (only the high speed ports were enumerated).

You can compare the info.plist file of Sierra and El Capitan to see what new USB controllers are supported. /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBHostFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBXHCIPCI.kext/Contents/Info.plist

You can see all the new chips are Alpine Ridge type and they all use the same AppleUSBXHCIAR IOClass.
Code:
New AppleUSBXHCI* personalities that use the "AppleUSBXHCIAR" IOClass driver:
AR      8086,15b6
ARCDP   8086,15d4
ARCSP   8086,15db
ARLP    8086,15c1

Cannot get USB3 to work on latest Sierra installed on my older Asrock Z68 using any of the newer patched kexts or indeed my older kext that did work on Mavericks and Yosemite. Would very much like my external USB3 drives available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back