Contribute
Register

280x Not recognised by Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried the new rom, no joy. Booted into Mavericks fine, runs benchmarks fine etc. Same problems with FCPX though. Unfortunately, the card is useless to me if it's not working in FCPX.
I can't understand what's causing the Freezing in FCPX, the GTX 770 works perfectly?
The console says the GPU is hanging when using certain video effects. The card is also failing the Brucex test as well, the machine crashes just after pressing the export button.

My only suggestion would be to double check and make sure IGPU is disabled in the bios and you have IGPEnabler = No in your boot.plist.

Have any of the roms you've tried changed the way the card is identified by Luxmark?

I don't have on board graphics on the X79 board. At the moment I'm experimenting with different voltages and clock speeds. I'm using the Asus and DD roms as these seem to work best.
If I use the Asus roms, I get 7xxx 3072mb. If I use the DD roms I get 7xxx 1064377mb (I don't know the exact number of VRAM, but it's something silly).

I thought I made some serious progress with this last night. I use'd the Asus Bios with 280x DD Black Clocks and the D700 Vendor ID and Subsystem ID. I had it all working, Brucex test was working, FCPX video effects were working, Luxmark was good too. I was running a 4k @ 30Hz through the HDMI. Then I thought I'd try the Displayports, which failed to output a signal. I booted into Windows just to try Luxmark, and the machine crashed. I thought, nothing of it, something that could be ironed out. I then booted into OSX which in an instant sent me back to square one. FCPX is crashing all over the place, sometimes OSX fails to boot.

I'm struggling to understand why OSX and FCPX is behaving like this? There are two things I intend to do later, first - retrace my steps to where I had it working and not mess with anything, just to see if it stays stable. If I can't achieve this, then I will try some older versions of FCPX.

I retraced my steps and got it working again. I also know the cause of my problem with FCPX and OSX booting problems. After I flashed my bios and got it up and running flawlessly again, I began to wonder why it failed last night. Anyway, it turns out that it wasn't the DP port or Luxmark. It was the fact that I shut down my computer! When I was doing all the bios flashing and flicking back and forth WIN and OSX, I never actually shut down my computer. I was always using the restart option in both OS's. So now I have this problem of: Why in earth would shutting down my computer cause the new GPU bios to change? It's almost as if it looses it's memory!

What is going on?

I can't think of any reason why the vbios would change when you shut down. Have you tried the original bios or the DD bios with the d700 vendor and subsystem ids? I would guess this would give you the best chance of having all ports working.

What program are you using to edit the bios? Also, what are the subsystem and vendor ids for the d700?

I can't think of any reason why the vbios would change when you shut down. Have you tried the original bios or the DD bios with the d700 vendor and subsystem ids? I would guess this would give you the best chance of having all ports working.

What program are you using to edit the bios? Also, what are the subsystem and vendor ids for the d700?

Yeah, I tried the XFX roms with the modifications, doesn't work. The Asus seems the way to go. I'm using atiwinflash and VBE7 bios editor. Google: 'Mac Pro d700 rom' and you will see the download on a forum page. Then open the rom with VBE7.

That's the end of the road then. Technically speaking, this card is working with Mavericks on a Gigabyte x79 motherboard, it just requires vbios alterations and a solution to that little problem of never shutting down!

Quite disappointed with the support on this forum.

Im running 10.9.1 and my card is working GREAT on FCPX 10.1

this is my card

XFX RADEON Double D R9 280X 1000MHz BOOST Ready 3GB DDR5 2XmDP HDMI 2XDVI Graphics Cards R9-280X-TDFD

this what the system says:

AMD Radeon HD 7xxx:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 3072 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6798
Revision ID: 0x0000
Displays:
W2353:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported

Luxmark says its a FirePro D700

im running with chimera in EFI, and nothing special more....

What can i do to help you guys? maybe a copy of my rom?

You're running a different motherboard though. The problem seems to be with the Gigabyte X79.
A motherboard bios update maybe a solution, I may try that soon.

Keep us informed, i have a friend with a Black edition having your same problems, and using a Z77X TH4

I don't think is the mobo...

Im thinking of flashing my firmware to his card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back