Contribute
Register

280x Not recognised by Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I started having the same problems with Final Cut crashing. I disabled Intel Processor Graphics in the bios and all seems well now.

Hope that helps.

Update: I've been doing a bit more in FCPX and it's going really good except when it comes to using the neat video plugin. The card shows as AMD Radeon HD Tahiti XT Prototype Compute Engine and isn't supported by neat video. I'm hoping that updated drivers in 10.9.3 might fix that.

Well I just got a XFX 280x DD to replace my hd6850 and have the same issues described, but mine is with a z87 motherboard. Currently on 10.9.1 and about to go to 10.9.2. I'm using the Chimera boot loader installed to EFI, which helped get output to the card at least. Now I'm stuck with the unknown card issue.

Using GE of Yes with AtiConfig=Aji lead to memory issue, as did one of the other three FBs mentioned. Of the two others that didn't crash, they ended up hanging further down in the boot. I may try reflashing the bios, even though mine already is the DD version.

Well I just got a XFX 280x DD to replace my hd6850 and have the same issues described, but mine is with a z87 motherboard. Currently on 10.9.1 and about to go to 10.9.2. I'm using the Chimera boot loader installed to EFI, which helped get output to the card at least. Now I'm stuck with the unknown card issue.

Using GE of Yes with AtiConfig=Aji lead to memory issue, as did one of the other three FBs mentioned. Of the two others that didn't crash, they ended up hanging further down in the boot. I may try reflashing the bios, even though mine already is the DD version.

Can you boot into Mavericks and get the card recognised as 7xxx?

I'm currently exploring different flashing options but I'm having issues with my card. I've even flashed to a XFX 7970, which mavericks does not like at all. The best results I've had so far is with the 280x DD.
At the moment my card is booting and recognised by Windows, but fails to load drivers. So this is something I'm going to have to look into tonight. Let's hope it's not bricked!

Ok, so I'm still messing around with this. My card is still in one piece despite the amount of flashing it's suffered. I believe the problem relates to the XFX bios specifically. The OC black bios does not work, the DD bios works but is not fully recognised by Mavericks. When I was trying the Asus bios I discovered this failed to boot like the others, but I did try booting to safe mode with this bios and discovered that Mavericks recognised this card as 7xxx 3000mb and not 7xxx 1035688 M. I see this as a promising sign, unfortunately I think the reason it won't boot using the Asus bios is due to the different port configuration.
The XFX use's 2 mini DP's 2 DVI's and one HDMI. The Asus uses 1 full size DP, 1 HDMI and 2 DVI.

Can anyone see a way around this?

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to use UseAtiROM command, does anyone have any examples of how this is used?

Ok, so I'm still messing around with this. My card is still in one piece despite the amount of flashing it's suffered. I believe the problem relates to the XFX bios specifically. The OC black bios does not work, the DD bios works but is not fully recognised by Mavericks. When I was trying the Asus bios I discovered this failed to boot like the others, but I did try booting to safe mode with this bios and discovered that Mavericks recognised this card as 7xxx 3000mb and not 7xxx 1035688 M. I see this as a promising sign, unfortunately I think the reason it won't boot using the Asus bios is due to the different port configuration.
The XFX use's 2 mini DP's 2 DVI's and one HDMI. The Asus uses 1 full size DP, 1 HDMI and 2 DVI.

Can anyone see a way around this?

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to use UseAtiROM command, does anyone have any examples of how this is used?

Have you tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes with the Asus bios flashed? I know most 280x cards require it in 10.9.2.

Cant really think of a way around the port issues. I'm not sure if trying a different frame buffer personality can do anything when the bios has been changed. I have seen on other forums, crypto currency miners flashing both MSI and Saphire bios to this card to increase their hash rates, so that might be something to try.

Have you tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes with the Asus bios flashed? I know most 280x cards require it in 10.9.2.

Cant really think of a way around the port issues. I'm not sure if trying a different frame buffer personality can do anything when the bios has been changed. I have seen on other forums, crypto currency miners flashing both MSI and Saphire bios to this card to increase their hash rates, so that might be something to try.

Yeah, I think I probably did try GE=Yes, although I don't recall. I tried the Sapphire bios last night, I had no output at all from any of the ports, may try MSI tonight.

Updating to 10.9.2 seemed to make it worse. At some point I had the DD recognized by 10.9.1, but can't remember if it was with GE as yes or no. The problem was it wasn't recognizing my second monitor at the time, and then I must of messed it up trying to figure out why that was happening.

I'm going to try reinstalling mavericks tonight or tomorrow to see if I can get it working.

Found another thread where people are having this problem:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/297280-xfx-r9-280x/?p=2010381

It seems like there are a lot of Bios versions out there. Mine came with "15.043.000.005.000000_113-TAHITI_XTL_3GD5_H_130805KLB1_W8", which seems newer than anything else I have seen posted online. What version is everyone using?

Used the 10/17 bios from tech power up, and my DD card, which came with the above newer bios was finally recognized in OSX. It is shown as "AMD Radeon HD 7xxx 1182796800 M", which may not be perfect, but at least it is usable.

Edit:
Well, I spoke too soon thinking I was fixed up. Seems like Windows doesn't like the older vbios with my card (BSOD), and OSX doesn't like the newer vbios. So I'm stuck having to flash the vbios for it to work in one or the other. I tried UseAtiROM=Yes, by putting the older ROM in the extras folder, named as the instructions say to, while having the newer bios installed. This doesn't fix the OSX issue, however.

Edit2:
Anything 15.41 (tried DD and DD black 15.39, 15.40, 15.41) or older works in OSX, but gives me a BSOD in Windows. My 15.43 doesn't work in OSX, but works in Windows.

Edit3:
Tried reinstalling windows (and updated from windows 8 to 8.1 sp1), thinking that I had a driver issue hanging around, but that didn't help. They must have changed something with my bios version that is required for windows, but OSX just doesn't like.

May have some good news on this, I will be trying a new rom later.

Tried the new rom, no joy. Booted into Mavericks fine, runs benchmarks fine etc. Same problems with FCPX though. Unfortunately, the card is useless to me if it's not working in FCPX.
I can't understand what's causing the Freezing in FCPX, the GTX 770 works perfectly?
The console says the GPU is hanging when using certain video effects. The card is also failing the Brucex test as well, the machine crashes just after pressing the export button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back