Contribute
Register

2013 Mac Pro - My variation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's more of a request. So this might be a bit awkward, but I'll go ahead and write it here then. :)

I was very inspired by your Mac Pro build along with some other builds here on the forum, and I thought I'd build my own now. I'm just wondering if you could possibly make a 3D print file with the Mac Pro base for the Lunar bin but without the square for the audio jack?
And possibly a custom I/O for the ASUS MAXIMUS VI IMPACT mITX which will include a vandal switch.
I thought the best option would be to attach the I/O on the inside of the lunar bin with maybe a strong double sided tape or something simular. Just so It looks more like the original.

I'm horrible when it comes to 3D programs and such, that's why I thought I'd ask you, since you seem to be pretty good at it :). And if you want I could send you a little bit of money for the trouble.
If not, could you please answer this question. When the base is to be 3D printed, do I need any particular measurements to notify the printer company about or does the file contain that?

The 3D model for the bottom without the front panel is possible. Actually it is mostly done, but Autodesks tools seem to break more often than they work, so it took a while to find the right combination to repeat what I had done the first time. If you use Chrome, the recommended browser for 123D Design, it fails some of the tasks like subtracting one shape from another.

As for the IO shield, that would be far too complicated to do as a 3D print.

Additional....

Be careful when changing to a different motherboard. Some of the parts I specced were specifically chosen to fit that particular motherboard when in the confines of that case. For example, the CPU cooler I picked may not fit on a different motherboard because each mfg puts the CPU in a slightly different place.

Then you have to take into account cooling. I can't say for sure, but the Asus has its VRM module standing up, and that may impede airflow in this layout... and I think that motherboard has a couple other modules that stand up that may also block airflow.

I would also be concerned that the power buttons that stick out the back would prevent the case from sliding on. I had to remove the wifi antenna jacks because they stuck out just a little too far and would have prevented the case from going on. As it is, I have to slightly "crush" the case to get it into an oval shape so it will slide past the DVI connector.

The 3D model for the bottom without the front panel is possible. Actually it is mostly done, but Autodesks tools seem to break more often than they work, so it took a while to find the right combination to repeat what I had done the first time. If you use Chrome, the recommended browser for 123D Design, it fails some of the tasks like subtracting one shape from another.

As for the IO shield, that would be far too complicated to do as a 3D print.

Additional....

Be careful when changing to a different motherboard. Some of the parts I specced were specifically chosen to fit that particular motherboard when in the confines of that case. For example, the CPU cooler I picked may not fit on a different motherboard because each mfg puts the CPU in a slightly different place.

Then you have to take into account cooling. I can't say for sure, but the Asus has its VRM module standing up, and that may impede airflow in this layout... and I think that motherboard has a couple other modules that stand up that may also block airflow.

I would also be concerned that the power buttons that stick out the back would prevent the case from sliding on. I had to remove the wifi antenna jacks because they stuck out just a little too far and would have prevented the case from going on. As it is, I have to slightly "crush" the case to get it into an oval shape so it will slide past the DVI connector.

Okay, good feedback :) I'll take that into account.

If you ever get the time to do a 3D base without the front square, I'd really appreciate it if you could post the file here! It would be nice to get it printed. I must ask though, when sending that particular file to a 3D print company. Do you have to give them measurements for it or is that contained in the file.

Take care.

Okay, good feedback :) I'll take that into account.

If you ever get the time to do a 3D base without the front square, I'd really appreciate it if you could post the file here! It would be nice to get it printed. I must ask though, when sending that particular file to a 3D print company. Do you have to give them measurements for it or is that contained in the file.

Take care.

When you upload it, the service should recognize that the file is 19cm x 19cm x 4cm (190x190x40mm.) Most services I uploaded it to would show the dimensions after upload so you knew it interpreted the file correctly.

This is a binary stl. I found a few services that wouldn't accept ASCII stl, but they all seam to accept binary format.

It has also been changed a little to reduce the amount of material used. For example, on Shapeways, it cut the price by $10. It may also be easier to mount the wifi antenna jacks in the base because of the change.

Attachments

• 2013HackProV3bin.stl.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 149
When you upload it, the service should recognize that the file is 19cm x 19cm x 4cm (190x190x40mm.) Most services I uploaded it to would show the dimensions after upload so you knew it interpreted the file correctly.

This is a binary stl. I found a few services that wouldn't accept ASCII stl, but they all seam to accept binary format.

It has also been changed a little to reduce the amount of material used. For example, on Shapeways, it cut the price by $10. It may also be easier to mount the wifi antenna jacks in the base because of the change.

Mate, you are fantastic! :)
Going to order the base on the 19th and picking up my lunar bin tomorrow. Thank you very much for the help :D

Really cool idea and well executed.

Congrats!

Hopefully I'm not taking credit for a comment meant for Bamboreta...

Thanks!

Here is the first version of 3D printing to the base of my mod.
socle.jpg

Here is the first version of 3D printing to the base of my mod.

Smart idea to put the tabs on the rim to grab into a slot on the inside of the trash bin. Also REALLY like the idea to put a indentation in the base the same size as the power supply. That would make it much easier to center. I might have to use that idea ;-)

I used a 6° step for the vents... looks like you may have more than 60 vent slots?

Here the air extractor for the top fan.
base.jpg

Installation in the case with the Noctua fan.

Diffuseur sup_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back