Contribute
Register

2013 Mac Pro - My variation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find on amazon.de hdmi extension. I need to find it in Europe but not UK. And i would rather use display port. Anyone found displayport extension of course the short one. And why you guys didn't put the fan on the bottom to push hot air through the whole case? Then u don't need to cover gpu because this fan will push the hot air out.

Putting the fan at the bottom wouldn't work for my design. Most of its power to move air would be obstructed by the power supply.

The only mini-displayport extension I found:

http://www.dx.com/p/cy-dp-078-le-90...mini-dp-female-cable-20cm-272043#.U80d1FbBP54

There MIGHT be enough cable length on the following adapter so you could use both adapters and have 2 MDP connections on the back:

http://www.dx.com/p/cy-dp-078-le-90...xtension-cable-white-20cm-280253#.U80eUlbBP54

Or, if you want HDMI, this one looks like a good alternative to the one I used:

http://www.dx.com/p/cy-hd-164-90-de...-w-ethernet-3d-black-50cm-321506#.U8xg9lbBP54

Bouly, good work. Have you tried triangular shaped exclusions for the various vents? It makes for a slightly more authentic look. (Assuming you are using exclusions to make the openings.

Edit (added/changed adapter URLs.)

I need full size displayport to display port because I have Asus version of this card. And thx for links BTW. My idea was to disassemble the psu and run passive, turn the graphics card 90 degrees and put the sfx psu above it behind the motherboard..

Hello! Simply awesome mod! I want to build a similar, but there are a lot of questions:
So my mod:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (can eat better?)
Motherboard: GA-Z87N-WIFI
Memory: 16GB --- (model? Firm?)
Video: --- (what?)
HDD: SSD 1TV (500GB then windows, 500GB OS X) + HDD 1TB (that suggest?)
Cooler: Thermalright AXP-100 (Designed for ITX and HTPC Systems)
Power Supply: --- (what that would fit?)

questions:
1) What is the way to make a video? and whether the work sound?
2) Will OS X work immediately bluetooth and wi-fi?
3) How much will consume energy?
4) How to make partitions? HDD is a common, and sdd will be divided into 2 sections, will have to work?
5) How will the download?
6) is appropriate if the 3 HDD 2.5?
7) How will the work outputs on the video card?
8) Strong noisy work?
9) Will OS X Russian language?

I'm sorry that it's not clear, I am Russian, and not very good at translating :(

Hello! Simply awesome mod! I want to build a similar, but there are a lot of questions:
So my mod:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (can eat better?)
Motherboard: GA-Z87N-WIFI
Memory: 16GB --- (model? Firm?)
Video: --- (what?)
HDD: SSD 1TV (500GB then windows, 500GB OS X) + HDD 1TB (that suggest?)
Cooler: Thermalright AXP-100 (Designed for ITX and HTPC Systems)
Power Supply: --- (what that would fit?)

questions:
1) What is the way to make a video? and whether the work sound?
2) Will OS X work immediately bluetooth and wi-fi?
3) How much will consume energy?
4) How to make partitions? HDD is a common, and sdd will be divided into 2 sections, will have to work?
5) How will the download?
6) is appropriate if the 3 HDD 2.5?
7) How will the work outputs on the video card?
8) Strong noisy work?
9) Will OS X Russian language?

I'm sorry that it's not clear, I am Russian, and not very good at translating :(

I would not use a CPU faster than the 4770. I think a 4770K would overheat if it were overclocked. The 4770 works well, but it can get to 80C and start to throttle performance to keep cool.
Look at the first post for the memory I used, and for a link to the Gigabyte supported memory list.
A 1TB SDD should work well. I used 256GB SSD for cost.
The only power supplies that fit in my design are SFX power supplies. If you move things around, you may get other supplies to fit. Look on the forum for other variations on the trash bin mac ;-)

1 - I am not quite sure I understand, but I used an MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming ITX. HDMI Audio works with a SSDT patch (see first post). There is also an ASUS GTX 760, but it may be more difficult to find right-angle adapters for it. Front panel audio may be difficult to get working. Rear panel audio works without problems.
2 - No, the Wifi card that comes with the GA-Z87N-WIFI will not work with OSX. You will have to replace it with a compatible half-mini pcie card. Even after replacing it, you will need a patch.
3 - Are you asking how big must the power supply be? I think 350W would be enough, but I wanted to be safe, so I used a 450W supply. I do not know how much the whole computer uses from the wall. Silverstone appears to make the best SFX power supplies.
4 - I formatted the drive with a Mac into 2 partitions, with MBR partition format (PC legacy instead of GPT). The first partition was FAT the second partition was HFS Extended. While installing Windows, I reformatted the FAT partition to NTFS.
5 - I am not sure I understand. The OSX Installer must be downloaded from a Mac or working hackintosh and then use Unibeast to make a bootable USB flash drive. See the Guide on Unibeast on this forum.
6 - There may not be room for more than one HDD inside the case using my design. Other designs without the GTX card would have much more room.
7 - I have only hooked up the HDMI port. The mini display port connection should also work, but you will have to find a right angle adapter to get it to the back of the case. A few posts up, I listed the URLs for the right angle adapters that should be available outside of the US.
8 - Very quiet, even when GPU is fully active.
9 - I have not tested OSX set to Russian language, but I think it should work fine.

Thank you very much for your quick response! Questions that you do not understand a little differently shall formulate.
1. How the whole system consumes Wat? you can to test this on such a thing, at a minimum, on the average, and maximum. http://www.amazon.com/Wattage-Voltage-Frequency-Analyzer-Overload/dp/B00F40J9AS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407388620&sr=8-2&keywords=energy+Meter+lcd
2. Work outs when running HDMI?
View attachment 100973

3. Can still estates SSD + HDD? because I needed 1TB SSD (2.5) + 1TB HDD (2.5)
View attachment 100975

4. possible to place the antenna inside? as in laptops, antenna hidden in the LCD display, say half baskets inside pasted layer of foil, then tape, then again a layer of foil (because the two antenna pole), with the other half of the basket to do the same and one half will be for the Wi-Fi, other Bluetooth :)
5. Can you to film videos on how many quiet it all works? with low, medium and full load?
6. I'm a little not understand why the audio outputs at the bottom? What audio outputs work without problems inside?

P.s if you do not mind warranty, replace the thermal paste under the heat chamber (within the processor) and on a radiator, on a liquid metal (nickel-plated radiator, so it can be done, but SANDING COOLER NOT NEED erase layer, there is aluminum, and the reaction would be!
the temperature may be much less

PP.s This time the translation is better understand?

1 - I do not have an AC watt meter, so I can't measure the exact load. I estimate that at idle it is about 65 watts and at full GPU load it is around 250 watts.

My system is similar to this one: http://www.overclockers.com/msi-z87i-gtx760-itx-gaming-review

And I think the power consumption would be very similar to this: msi_itx_power_graph.jpg

Those numbers may be a little high, as they are using a 4770K at 4Ghz instead of a 4770 or 4770k at stock speed.

2 - Your attachments did not come through. HDMI works, but I can't see the image, so I don't know for sure what you are asking.

3 - The image attachment did not come through. I think I could get another 7mm SSD inside, on top of the first 7mm SSD. I don't know if there would be enough room for SSD and HDD, because HDD is thicker.

4 - I tried to put the antenna inside. There was too much interference from the motherboard. I could see wifi networks, but when trying to connect to them, I would get "A connection timeout has occurred". The same happened for both OSX and Windows.

Here is a picture of what I tried. It didn't work. There are 2 antennas, one on each side of the fan.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/members/juanlobo/albums/30th-anniversary-hack/84441-internal-cpu-side/
http://www.tonymacx86.com/members/j...nniversary-hack/84440-internal-io-back-panel/

You may have better luck with different antennas.

5 - I can make a video, but I don't think it would accurately give you an idea of sound level. Almost all cameras have Automatic Gain Control (AGC) which makes very quiet sounds louder. It would let you hear the "wind tunnel" sound when the fan is at full speed. It is not loud, but it does sound like air going through a pipe.

6 - The audio jacks on the back of the motherboard work without any problems. The audio jacks on the front of the case can be difficult to get working. The front audio jacks are difficult because they must comply with the "Intel HD Audio" specification. I had to design my own circuit to simulate Intel HD audio to make them work.

I am familiar with "delidding" a CPU to make it run cooler, but for this computer I don't need to. The only time it gets to 80C is when using Prime95. For playing games, it never gets that hot. It idles at about 28c.

The 3 pin connector you showed looks like it is for low voltage DC. I would be afraid to use that for AC power. The connector that really should be back there is this: http://miniimg.rightinthebox.com/images/384x384/201205/gvwwou1337234483587.jpg

(with a short extension to reach the PSU)

The 3D part was printed at Shapeways. It is what they call "White Strong & Flexible". It is Nylon powder fused with a laser.

Thank you for such a quick response! Can you make a video, I wonder! Yours Eugene ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back