Contribute
Register

10.6.7 Update + 10.7.3 Kernel Constant Reboot Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just another one reporting in: P67A-GD55 in reboot loop with 10.6.7 + 10.7.3 Kernel. Really hope someone figures something out. Windows 7 is at least not XP, but I am used to my Mac ways!

Reboot loop here as well. Ive literally tried everything. At least iBoot legacy gets me in. I got work to do!

Just ran geekbench and although my boot multiplier in bios is at 32x it recognizes my processor at 3.4GHz... Im wondering if this is the issue?

Not really I think, because I have i5 2400 and I'm unable to boot...

The same info than paulsocal

paulsocal said:
Just ran geekbench and although my boot multiplier in bios is at 32x it recognizes my processor at 3.4GHz... Im wondering if this is the issue?
It might be... I've been wondering if the BIOS setting for the multiplier is being kept. I've noticed that every time I go into BIOS, it's back at 33x. Maybe the setting in BIOS doesn't work, and our MSI boards can't boot because they're stuck at 33x.

Geticus, what is the multiplier for your 2400?

IcePiq said:
paulsocal said:
It might be... I've been wondering if the BIOS setting for the multiplier is being kept. I've noticed that every time I go into BIOS, it's back at 33x. Maybe the setting in BIOS doesn't work, and our MSI boards can't boot because they're stuck at 33x.

Geticus, what is the multiplier for your 2400?

Mine is 31 everytime...

Just another datapoint.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3. Boots from iBoot legacy fine. Instant reboot when trying to boot from HD.

- 10.6.7 combo update
- SB BridgeHelper
- Multibeast to put in the Chameleon SB.

Not much else I can say. I'll have a look at Gordo74's thread when I have more time.

Cheers,

Yes, I think the Gigabyte boards can be correctly configured. I think our unsolvable trouble is confined to the MSI boards.

Gordo's thread mentions that you need to set the clock multiplier in the BIOS to x32. I tried this and though it solves the "constant reboot loop", I now get to the grey Apple boot screen followed by a kernel panic.

I'm speculating that:
- The new 10.7.3 kernel is designed for the new MacBooks and is locked to a x32 multiplier. Anything else causes an instant reboot.
- My CPU is the non-"K" core i5-2500 with a native multiplier of x33 so kernel panics when I set a x32 multiplier in the BIOS. (It may be that some of the MSI boards just don't set the multiplier properly and get similar results.)

Any thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back