i9 10940X
Graphics
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
There has been some mention of this in other threads but rather than hijack it seemed sensible to put this all in one place - Constant reboot issue with 10.6.7 (non MBP) update and bridgehelper 2.0 on MSI P67/H67 hardware

I have done a fresh install using the same method as the Asus P8P67 guys as the boards cant be that dissimilar, tried a few different selections in Multibeast with the same issue, method to install was:

iboot legacy with "PCIRootUID=1 -v -x" to boot retail Snow Leopard
Install and reboot
10.6.7 combo update (non MBP) don't reboot
bridgehelper2.0
Multibeast 3.4 - chameleon SB, fix PCIRootUID, various 32/64 boot screens with/without Graphics enabler, FakeSMC, nullcpupowermanagement
reboot

Now into the constant reboot loop..... hits chameleon, 1-2 sec later reboot and so on.

I can still boot the install using iboot legacy.

Hardware is as follows:

i7 2600k (set at 29/32x in bios but no difference, neither did busratio 29/32)
MSI P67A-GD65 (non B3, yet to be changed)
4Gb Corsair XMS3 9-9-9-24 1600
Nvidia GTX470
Genuine Apple Atheros WiFi card in PCI-E carrier
WD RaptorX 150Gb (only using intel SATA ports for HDD and optical)

After rebooting with iboot legacy I edited the boot.plist and changed the chameleon timeout so I could try out various boot options. Again, all combinations of GraphicsEnabler, PCIRootUID, 32/64 etc were tried without any success.

Adding "-v" and hitting the break key at the right time allowed me to capture this screenshot, thats everything that I get before it reboots, pretty much the same everytime.
(there are minor differences depending on 32/64 etc and i've tried installing various MacPro or imac SMBIOS but no difference):

I dont expect its much use but please let me know if any further pictures might...

Any help or additional info from similar hardware users much appreciated.

rustE

@rustEswan
we are a few others with MSI MB and the same problem. I've tried everythig but is not working, reboot loop all the time. It looks like the MSI MB is the problem. Too bad...

have you lowered the multiplier in your bios to 32x? the vanilla kernel from 10.6.7 will not boot if the chip's multiplier is set to anything higher.

also, it's worth trying to get a 'clean' version of your DSDT to use with your board. use an Ubuntu live-cd and extract the DSDT (there are tons of guides showing how to do this), then take the resulting file and run it through DSDT Auto Patcher -

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=235523

@scorcho thank you for your replay
I did everything you said, no luck...

Experimenting with my board, a couple of times have had this problem and reseting the cmos worked. Give it a try. Can you upload your dsdt too?

Clear CMOS doesn't change anything, thank you anyway !

scorcho said:
have you lowered the multiplier in your bios to 32x? the vanilla kernel from 10.6.7 will not boot if the chip's multiplier is set to anything higher.

I am having the same issue as the original poster. I have tried to change my multiplier in the BIOS to x32, but my motherboard won't POST with that setting and reverts itself to x34. Any ideas?

Yes I've tried various BIOS settings, my current setup is 29x multi but i've got turbo enabled and set to 46x for all 4 cores - but I also tried at default settings, and default settings but lowering the base multi to 29x, and in addition to this i've used a matching busratio flag (busratio=29) but it always does the same.

I already extracted my DSDT a while back, which i've got somewhere, admittedly havent tried using it with the new kernel yet - I'll dig it out and give that a go, I've got it unmodified and a couple that i've run through the autopatcher.

Will report back soon.

doesnt boot mine. I get unsupported chip 0x8728

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back