Contribute
Register

10.6.7 Native ATi 5xxx/6xxx Cards which work (and don't)

Status
Not open for further replies.
the_gael said:
new updates added to list on first post - thanks everyone
the_gael, when you have a time could you update my entry in the first post update (the third one) to this:

Brand=GIGABYTE
Model=ATI HD5770 1Gb DDR5 - GV-R577UD-1GD (Batmobile)
Device ID=0x68b8
Multibeast=3.4 (Kabyl + GE=Y)
MacOS=10.6.7 (64 bit)
Reported by=grafixidea

It now looks like my card have problems, but actually it works just like the others. Thanks a lot and sorry for bothering you :D

cooperleeray said:
Rankel said:
If you don't want to read the long winded version, here is a straight to the point version:"Now I have found two models on newegg, but in this case the 5870 is actually $10 cheaper after rebate. Which card would you go with if you were ordering the card? I notice a lot of you are going with the 6870, but I am not sure why.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102909
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125316"

I can attest that the 5870 you linked to works with Chameleon and GE=yes. Theres one odd issue when booting into the os that i need to sleep the computer to get the display to turn on, but after that it runs great.

Thanks! I really wanted to go with that one, but I got an Asus 6850 on craigslist for about 1/2 retail. I am very happy with it so far. It had "never been installed". It had no scores on the contacts, the UPC was on the box, and when I got it home it works fine and had never been registered through Asus.

Brand=XFX
Model=5750
Device ID=68be
Multibeast=3.4
MacOS=10.6.7
Reported by=macier

Not actually native though, since I had to add devID, but the difference from 10.6.6 is that now I run GraphicsEnabler=No. I noticed one small thing, under 10.6.6 DVDPlayer crashed but now it doesn't actually crash, it just tells me it cannot find a DVD drive and quits gracefully. Oh, and this is 64bit.

I just ran the net software update for 10.6.7 and had to do a lot of screwing around to get my system to boot again but when I finally got it and added the devID, it worked fine.

I also have a P5E3 Premium with a 6970 in it. I tried several times to do a temp testing install of SL (latest iboot) but kept getting hangs, usually at "ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space." I might try a video card swap though, put the 6970 into my working 10.6.7 box.

Nothing better to do so....

Brand=XFX
Model=6970
Device ID=6718
Multibeast=3.4
MacOS=10.6.7
Reported by=macier

FAILURE, opened them up and put the 6970 into the working 10.6.7 box, and booted with -v, didn't see any errors but then solid light blue screen came up, video cards fans did a quick speedup and then back to normal, then a few seconds later a screen of garbled junk came up. To make sure it wasn't a PSU or other issue, I booted that same box into Windows 7 which I keep on a completely separate unplugged hdd and it was fine, which is also where I got the devID from. Booting with -x stopped arounf HDAEnabler, which I think is some kind of problem I have now since updating to 10.6.7.

Oh, I checked and devID 6718 is in ATI6000.

Anyone who's trying to get a Radeon HD 6950 to work:

Tried BIOS Flashing? The 6950 is basically just a down clocked 6970, there's a method you can use to flash the BIOS to up the Speeds on the card. I'm not sure if it changes DeviceID, but it might, since the BIOS changes. Incase of screw-ups you've got a switch on the card (reference designs only) to revert to secondary BIOS.

Of course this isn't a 100% chance of a fix, but it might improve the situation a bit. You'll be at least using a Card who's DeviceID is present.

Here's the article with instructions for anyone interested: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/ove ... idcard/159

You will need to boot up with Windows to use that set of instructions however. And a Reference 2GB version of the Radeon 6950.

Edit: Thread on it here too. Oops :D

Successful

Brand=XFX
Model=HD 5850 1GB HD-585X-ZAFC
Device ID=0x6899
Multibeast=3.4
MacOS=10.6.7
Reported by=choon

Successful

Brand=Powercolor
Model=PCS+ 6870
Device ID=0x6738
Multibeast=3.4
MacOS=10.6.7
Reported by=mjgunn

Can't get it work with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. On boot = black screen and gpu's fan spins like mad.

With GE=No delivers 23 and 991 score in cinebench 11.5 and Novabench respectively (cpu i7-920 @ 2.66Ghz. With cpu oc'ed @ 3.8Ghz i get 33 in cinebench).
My com.apple.Boot.plist is:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
  	<string>arch=x86_64</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
   	<string>No</string>
	<key>AtiConfig</key>
   	<string>Duckweed</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Any ideas?

My Gpu is a Sapphire HD6870.

Implied said:
Anyone who's trying to get a Radeon HD 6950 to work:

Tried BIOS Flashing? The 6950 is basically just a down clocked 6970, there's a method you can use to flash the BIOS to up the Speeds on the card. I'm not sure if it changes DeviceID, but it might, since the BIOS changes. Incase of screw-ups you've got a switch on the card (reference designs only) to revert to secondary BIOS.

Of course this isn't a 100% chance of a fix, but it might improve the situation a bit. You'll be at least using a Card who's DeviceID is present.

Here's the article with instructions for anyone interested: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/ove ... idcard/159

You will need to boot up with Windows to use that set of instructions however. And a Reference 2GB version of the Radeon 6950.

Edit: Thread on it here too. Oops :D

I also would love to have this card. But since no one confirmed a working 6970 (at least in this topic) i think it's a lil bit hard?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back