Contribute
Register

10.6.7 Native ATi 5xxx/6xxx Cards which work (and don't)

Status
Not open for further replies.
jpa said:

That card definitely looks nice. Wonder what impact the extra 75Mhz would have.

EDIT: it does around 10fps extra in FarCry 2 (compared to a reference 6870)

I wonder if a Arctic cooler would perform better when manually overclocked. Those Arctic GPU coolers really are awesome and very inexpensive.

EDIT 2: With the Accelero Twin Turbo Pro from Arctic(around $45), the clocks can be upped even more (1060Core, 1250 memory). Check here.

But yeah it's gonna cost ya and the extra performance would be for Windows use only if you want to overclock manually since there are no gpu overclocking apps for OSX (prove me wrong?).

injectx said:
jpa said:

That card definitely looks nice. Wonder what impact the extra 75Mhz would have.

EDIT: it does around 10fps extra in FarCry 2 (compared to a reference 6870)

I wonder if a Arctic cooler would perform better when manually overclocked. Those Arctic GPU coolers really are awesome and very inexpensive.

EDIT 2: With the Accelero Twin Turbo Pro from Arctic(around $45), the clocks can be upped even more (1060Core, 1250 memory). Check here.

But yeah it's gonna cost ya and the extra performance would be for Windows use only if you want to overclock manually since there are no gpu overclocking apps for OSX (prove me wrong?).

yes woow card, possible buy this for me XD

injectx said:
For people who want to buy a 6870 and don't know which brand yet.. if you're looking to hook it up to a Apple LED Cinema display, you should go for the Sapphire cards.

What makes you say this injectx, because you know from experience it works or have you heard something about other 6870s not working?

I ordered the powercolor 6870 when it was on sale at newegg last week

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131383&cm_re=powercolor_6870_pcs%2b-_-14-131-383-_-Product

Not only was it the cheapest then (which was a nice bonus), but the reason I wanted it was that it's supposedly basically silent even under full load.

jpa said:

Well I know for a fact that at least some 5870s work without any frame buffers or editing ids, by listing a lot of 6870 are you suggesting I buy the slower and more expensive 6870? It is what I will do if the gigabyte 5870 is a pain to make work, but the xfx 5870 was flawless (besides the fan blade coming off)

Netkas.org claims all you have to do is specify the CORRECT framebuffer in order to get DVD player, Steam games, etc. to start working...

Anyone have luck with this? I've tried the following with my 0x6898 5870 so far:
Zonalils, Uakari, and Nomascus to no avail.

Rankel said:
jpa said:

Well I know for a fact that at least some 5870s work without any frame buffers or editing ids, by listing a lot of 6870 are you suggesting I buy the slower and more expensive 6870? It is what I will do if the gigabyte 5870 is a pain to make work, but the xfx 5870 was flawless (besides the fan blade coming off)

mmm recomend card:
XFX

the 6870 works any.

Users buy and test
XFX Works nice
ASUS works nice
SAPPHIRE

choose one card...

:)

mjgunn said:
injectx said:
For people who want to buy a 6870 and don't know which brand yet.. if you're looking to hook it up to a Apple LED Cinema display, you should go for the Sapphire cards.

What makes you say this injectx, because you know from experience it works or have you heard something about other 6870s not working?

I ordered the powercolor 6870 when it was on sale at newegg last week

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131383&cm_re=powercolor_6870_pcs%2b-_-14-131-383-_-Product

Not only was it the cheapest then (which was a nice bonus), but the reason I wanted it was that it's supposedly basically silent even under full load.

Well i should probably not have said that. That was mainly because i read about other Sapphire cards on InsanelyMac, which worked with Apple LED Cinema displays. Not specific 6870's . So forget what i said :silent:

jpa said:
ASUS cards is better fps :)

6870 - 44 fps

You know what I noticed that! My Asus 6850 has better FPS than the sapphire 6870s posted on this page. Even the XFX 5870 I had benched at 46. Whats up with that? Does Asus just make a better card? The fan is crazy quiet too.

Rankel, you are not loading the framebuffer. If it was loaded the card would appear as radeon 6870 not ni40, you are still on the default frame buffer. Check your boot.plist.

doof said:
Rankel, you are not loading the framebuffer. If it was loaded the card would appear as radeon 6870 not ni40, you are still on the default frame buffer. Check your boot.plist.
I really have no idea what I am doing here, I used the same method to inject duckwee/gibba as I did to inject 64 bit and graphics enabler (which I had to boot with anyboot cd to remove)

Attachments

• blist.jpg
    blist.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back