Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Radeon Pro W6800
My 10.13.4 update keeps kicking off and asking to reboot, running an update installer prior to rebooting with no apparent effect after rebooting.

When rebooting after requesting the upgrade in the app store, I observe that there are new boot options (normal boot and macos installer).
If I let it do the normal boot into High Sierra, it behaves as if the update was never requested, telling me that I need to update (system shows still at 10.13.3).
278125-3bc24e39db03b49481ec99588254208b.jpg

If I choose to boot the macos installer it comes to a screen saying macOS could not be installed on your computer. The installer resources were not found.

278124-8826564b345f5247182ab66c896d3833.jpg

278122-971fa10d4fc9453c44fbca8af9e98d16.jpg

First off can anyone clarify 'which' entity I'm supposed to boot from? The tutorials make no mention of choosing an alternate entity to boot from so I presume the appropriate thing is to boot from the same entity as always (in my case the High Sierra option).

I pulled out all additional hardware (eGPU/gc-alpine) and drives so there is only the 1tb nvme that it's booting from; dedicated macos.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Same problem here :(

Try direct download. See what happens. Assuming you have installed apfs check this thread;
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-update-current-and-past-apfs-efi-downloads.236103/

I've tried it both ways with the same results. Both original and new apfs.efi, App Store and Stand Alone installer, Booting from original macos and from macos installer. MacOs boot just does a normal boot, choosing the mac installer tells me installer resources not found (this may be normal as I don't know 'which' option is correct to boot from).

If anyone can answer this question it will help in terms of ensuring I'm at least using the right process (whether to reboot into normal macos or installer)....

First off can anyone clarify 'which' entity I'm supposed to boot from? The tutorials make no mention of choosing an alternate entity to boot from so I presume the appropriate thing is to boot from the same entity as always (in my case the High Sierra drive).

Last edited:
I tried disabling SIP, same results. Can anyone answer this question....

Can anyone clarify 'which' entity I'm supposed to boot from? The tutorials make no mention of choosing an alternate entity to boot from so I presume the appropriate thing is to boot from the same entity as always (in my case the High Sierra drive). Just making sure I'm not supposed to boot from the Install Mac OS option that shows up.

I tried disabling SIP, same results. Can anyone answer this question....

Can anyone clarify 'which' entity I'm supposed to boot from? The tutorials make no mention of choosing an alternate entity to boot from so I presume the appropriate thing is to boot from the same entity as always (in my case the High Sierra drive). Just making sure I'm not supposed to boot from the Install Mac OS option that shows up.
  • I have been reading your post but felt disinterested to answer because Display Screen images taken with a camera shot is never uploaded. For those who could help seeing what you saw on screen and decided you have a problem, is a lot easier than reading the text . Shorter the description, lesser the information the readers are getting from the post even if the same thing is repeated in multiple posts. Your post will be very easy for you to understand because a lot of unsaid details are known to you about what was happening on your Monitor screen and what inputs you are providing; the readers of your post have no way of knowing that.
Won't it be better if you upload the images of BIOS Boot options screen, the F12 Boot Menu Screen and the Clover Boot Manager screen and the verbose boot screen that ended in a boot failure?

• I have been reading your post but felt disinterested to answer because Display Screen images taken with a camera shot is never uploaded. For those who could help seeing what you saw on screen and decided you have a problem, is a lot easier than reading the text . Shorter the description, lesser the information the readers are getting from the post even if the same thing is repeated in multiple posts. Your post will be very easy for you to understand because a lot of unsaid details are known to you about what was happening on your Monitor screen and what inputs you are providing; the readers of your post have no way of knowing that.
Won't it be better if you upload the images of BIOS Boot options screen, the F12 Boot Menu Screen and the Clover Boot Manager screen and the verbose boot screen that ended in a boot failure?

Sorry about that, being a UNIX developer, used to discussion without pictures lol. Thanks for the advice, I'll see about that. There is no boot failure mentioned though, not sure where you got that.

Slipmat,

After the install you need to boot from first High Sierra option (the Install macOS is your USB stick) and have your ethernet connected to the port for it to do the remainder - the resources lacking part I believe stem from the installers auto-implementation of APFS. It has been confirmed version 10.13.2 is slightly buggy when it comes to recognising attached drives. The only way to successfully install is to use 10.13.1 installer with Unibeast and then use Disk Utility with Unibeast to format the drive to HFS+J Mac Journaled format, then run the No Convert script in Terminal:

Code:
/Volumes/Image\  Volume/No-Convert

Then reboot, and select USB stick Install from macOS and run the installer again. Once that completes it wlll reboot then you run High Sierra option to finish the install. The installer will automatically update to 10.13.4 from Apple's servers during the install if the ethernet is connected.

One final note - if anyone is using a NVMe to install, you need to attach a secondary drive to the SATA #2 port for the NVme to be recognised by the installer (SATA #1 would be disabled by NVMe). I would suggest installing High Sierra to the secondary drive first for testing for best results (as some boards may not have recognised NVMe right away and needs a driver or config), then once it is done to clone it to the NVMe using Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll read more and see what i can do! Note that there is no USB stick involved here; the macOS install option appears on reboot when the update is requested. If I reset the update with something like
rm -Rf /macOS\ Install\ Data;systemsetup -setstartupdisk /System/Library/CoreServices
it makes the boot options go back to normal.
If I request the update again the new boot option will appear (no USB stick what so ever).

I'll see what I can do, thanks ya'll!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back