Contribute
Register

10.13.4 update looping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what I did:
  1. I updated the apfs.efi
  2. I made sure FakeSMC.kext is in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Others
  3. I pressed update in the app store which ran quite quickly and then rebooted
  4. After reboot, Cover automatically selects the "Install OSX" option
  5. Then it shows a black screen for 20 minutes or so, followed by the "The installer resources were not found." error as in the first post.
I tried:
  1. Upgrading clover to latest version: https://www.sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/
  2. Upgrading FakeSMC to latest version: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fakesmc-kozlek/downloads/
I'm still able to boot into 10.13.3 without issues, but not able to upgrade to 10.13.4. Any ideas? - maybe it's the NVME storage?

Last edited:
Here is what I did:
  1. I updated the apfs.efi
  2. I made sure FakeSMC.kext is in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Others
  3. I pressed update in the app store which ran quite quickly and then rebooted
  4. After reboot, Cover automatically selects the "Install OSX" option
  5. Then it shows a black screen for 20 minutes or so, followed by the "The installer resources were not found." error as in the first post.
I tried:
  1. Upgrading clover to latest version: https://www.sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/
  2. Upgrading FakeSMC to latest version: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fakesmc-kozlek/downloads/
I'm still able to boot into 10.13.3 without issues, but not able to upgrade to 10.13.4. Any ideas? - maybe it's the NVME storage?

Hey Guys, i also have this issue. Has anyone tried booting with a tonymacx86 unibeast 8.3.x usb boot stick to boot from then select/run the osx installer that is available as a boot option? this is after downloading this new osx update and after the first shutdown and restart of the update? I know at one point i had to use a usb boot to successfully install one of the osx updates that was released. I wont be home until late tonight to test myself but i wanted to mention this if anyone has tried it. thanks. doug

hi !
same problem for me. resolve to change SMBIOS definition imac 18,3 to 18,1.

with 18,1, everything pass.

I have the same issue. My machine just goes back to 10.13.3 and doesn't want to update. Older build Z77-UD5H. Can't figure it out. Either I get that error screen on the installer. OR it just restarts when loading the installer, either way I go back to 10.13.3.

I have the same issue. My machine just goes back to 10.13.3 and doesn't want to update. Older build Z77-UD5H. Can't figure it out. Either I get that error screen on the installer. OR it just restarts when loading the installer, either way I go back to 10.13.3.

Here's what you can do:

1) Do a permissions repair on system with Disk Utility before and after the update or install. This can help greatly in a lot of cases including migration of accounts or user data if you have issues.

2) After the update installer is run and it creates an install partition, use the Unibeast stick to boot into the system. On Asus boards use F8, Gigabyte F12, MSI F10, Intel F2 to go into the boot menu and select Unibeast. When it goes into Clover select the middle installer to continue.

3) If it still doesn't work, use method #2 again, but this time press space at the installer on Clover. Select Verbose and/or Slide=0 and/or dart=0 and see what comes up. For Nvidia you may need to go into Clover/Options and add the following arguments by pressing space: ngfxcompat=1 shikigva dart=0

4) Do not upgrade the apfs.efi on EFI before the update install.

5) Update the existing EFI Lilu.kext and Nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext.

6) Backup your EFI and make sure your EFI/Acpi settings in Clover are not using anything other than Plugin type (check the box on the right). Remove any DSDT or SSDT settings you may have.

7) Worst case scenario you may need to backup your EFI with EFI Mounter or Clover and replace it with the one from Unibeast stick to boot.

I have this issue too with every single update. But what's weird for me is that it always works eventually if I keep rebooting and retrying the same process over and over. Usually after the 3rd or 4th attempt the update will just miraculously proceed. I never bothered to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back