Contribute
Register

10.12 Nvidia Pascal Web Driver disaster reloaded under 10.13 High Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
remember that drivers for Sierra took almost a year.
No, drivers for Pascal took a year.
The architecture fundamentally changed from Maxwell and then nVidia had to implement a Metal binding. They would not make that kind of investment only to give up just as eGPU support finally comes to Macs. Likewise, it would take a fool at Apple to cut nVidia-dependent customers (plenty of pro developers and content producers) out of their potential market. Now nVidia driver devs must bind to Metal2 as well as Vulkan and OpenGL so it may be a little while but I very much doubt nVidia will be giving up the Mac Pro market any time soon.

Anyway, the answer was quite clear. There is an ongoing dispute between Apple and Nvidia concerning contracts, rights and marketing policies... Currently he was not able to say if there will be 10.13 macOS High Sierra web driver support at all.

Full stop.
Either you or your "source" at nVidia are full of ****.

https://nvidia.wd5.myworkdayjobs.co...ND-OPENCL-SOFTWARE-ENGINEER---MAC_JR1897400-5

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-suggest-an-nvidia-chip-return-to-apple-macs

I very much doubt nVidia will be giving up the Mac Pro market any time soon
They might, no mac pros and no nvidia graphics macs for years now.

no mac pros and no nvidia graphics macs for years
Reason: 2013/AMD/Eyefinity/6 displays, Mac Pro/iMac Pro
Nvidia/Maxwell/Pascal/.../5 displays, architecture/no go.
Apple controls the display connector/s, not the graphics supplier.
Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 10.42.56 PM.png

Last edited:
Reason: 2013/AMD/Eyefinity/6 displays, Mac Pro/iMac Pro
Nvidia/Maxwell/Pascal/.../5 displays, architecture/no go.
Apple controls the display connector/s, not the graphics supplier.
View attachment 276460
? What do you mean?

Apple values 6 display connectivity?

Apple values 6 display connectivity?
Apple sells:
mac pro/external: 6x 4k display or 3x 5K display (dual dp) connectivity
macbook pro/imac pro/external: 4x 4k display or 2x 5K display (dual dp) connectivity

Not necessarily. It appears here as though external GPUs will have official retail support by Apple from Spring 2018. So the pressure isn't really on Nvidia to release a driver before that date - except from the likes of us who aren't really in a position to complain. Personally I really hope we see a driver update in the next few days but I'm not holding my breath.

I have a real Mac Pro mid-2010 with a GTX780 (Maxwell). so I did the same as jbressler and this is the transcript. Seems like we will get drivers soon. I upgraded to 10.13 yesterday, but had to restore Sierra from Time Machine, due to the lack of drivers, so this is not only affecting the Hackintosh scene.

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 21.45.02.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back