Contribute
Register

10.12 Nvidia Pascal Web Driver disaster reloaded under 10.13 High Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the past is any prediction of the future, Nvidia won't release beta drivers until about 4-6 weeks before the Fall release of High Sierra.

So, I wouldn't give up on Nvidia too soon. I'm not. You early adapters will just have to be patient. After all, this is a Beta Period for a new macOS version. AMD is Apple's graphic chipset of choice. So, if you are a developer, it maybe worth your while to get a compatible AMD card. For the rest of us, hang in their and enjoy your Hackintosh (unless you got $200 burning a hole in your pocket).

If the past is any prediction of the future, Nvidia won't release beta drivers until about 4-6 weeks before the Fall release of High Sierra.

So, I wouldn't give up on Nvidia too soon. I'm not. You early adapters will just have to be patient. After all, this is a Beta Period for a new macOS version. AMD is Apple's graphic chipset of choice. So, if you are a developer, it maybe worth your while to get a compatible AMD card. For the rest of us, hang in their and enjoy your Hackintosh (unless you got $200 burning a hole in your pocket).

Maybe you are right. But I had trusted to Nvidia. But my trust is gone with my poor build.

Maybe you are right. But I had trusted to Nvidia. But my trust is gone with my poor build.
I don't know what you expected. It's still early in the beta development program. I've been using both AMD and Nividia cards since Moses was a child. Apple tends to favor AMD and Nvidia, in order to complete, has to supply the Mac user world with drivers. I've seen Nvidia bring out the new OS beta drivers later and later each OS product cycle. I don't know the reason...I don't care...I just know that they will release beta drivers, eventually, as get Apple gets close to releasing High Sierra to the public. So, welcome to the hurry up and wait phase of the OS development.

If you're a developer, you know this. You either develop work around(s) or wait until the beta driver appears. If you're in the beta program as a hobbyist, then you takes what you gets. (Of course, by now, if you're a hobbyist, you've probably made the decision to wait for the drivers.)

I don't know what you expected. It's still early in the beta development program. I've been using both AMD and Nividia cards since Moses was a child. Apple tends to favor AMD and Nvidia, in order to complete, has to supply the Mac user world with drivers. I've seen Nvidia bring out the new OS beta drivers later and later each OS product cycle. I don't know the reason...I don't care...I just know that they will release beta drivers, eventually, as get Apple gets close to releasing High Sierra to the public. So, welcome to the hurry up and wait phase of the OS development.

If you're a developer, you know this. You either develop work around(s) or wait until the beta driver appears. If you're in the beta program as a hobbyist, then you takes what you gets. (Of course, by now, if you're a hobbyist, you've probably made the decision to wait for the drivers.)

Yeah, but apple is on the wrong way.

Maybe Apple will start shipping them so there will be no need to have a separate package?

Why would Apple ship them? They have no official support for most NVIDIA cards as they picked AMD.

nVidia support doesn't know anything about nVidia Web Drivers.

Apple now officially supports eGPUs and VR and even sell a Devkit (mind you with an AMD GPU) so nVidia WebDrivers will keep being made.

Don't worry, a driver will come once it's officially released.

Apple is all about controlling their eco system, has always been at the core since Steve decided that expansion is a bad thing. Apple can decide what they support, period. If they for some reason feels that AMD will bring more $$$ to the table they are not afraid of dumping NVIDIA, as they have done a number of times.

nVidia WebDrivers are NOT officially supported at all, it's just something nVidia does on the side that's why it's hard to find on their site.

What do you mean by that? As they contain certificates Apple has granted NVIDIA to build "software" to their ecosystem and they are of course supported. Apple can, at any time rewrote their right to publish installation packages.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean by that? As they contain certificates Apple has granted NVIDIA to build "software" to their ecosystem and they are of course supported. Apple can, at any time rewrote their right to publish installation packages.
Apple will "try" to revoke their packages, but lets be honest... All they need to do is release the source code and let US compile it.

Bottom Line, I just bought a 1050Ti, totally forgetting about Apple's AMD and eGPU support that was announced at WWDC... So I'm screwed

Is there any reason we can't 'trick' the drivers in High Sierra like we can currently do for those that are eager to update current builds without the offical Nvidia release for that OS revision?

OS High Sierra, Web drivers faked to match the OS build?

Yeah, but apple is on the wrong way.
How so? Apple has always supported only their hardware in their OS's. It's their business philosophy. Since AMD has captured Apple's graphics card/chipset for it's Macs, Nvidia has to create the drivers if it wants to participate in the Mac graphics card marketplace. (The drivers of which are no trivial matter to create for public use.) While the classic Mac Pro's were initially Nvidia's high end market segment, the hackintosh population has taken over the majority of the Nvidia's Mac market as the classic Mac Pros are replaced by hacks or Windows based workstations. (BTW, we have over a million members here at tonymacx86.) Consequently, with the above in mind and Nvidia's historical release dates for an upcoming Apple macOS release, don't expect to see a release of beta drivers for another two to three weeks, at the earliest.

Guys:

I know so many Mac users still on Mavericks (and I mean users on "real" Macs). I know of several schools and Universities that are still on El Cap and they have no plans to change any time soon. If you're on Sierra, 10.12.x whatever, you're so far ahead of the majority of Mac users, it's hard to believe.

I would only urge patience. Sierra is a really good platform, and if Apple gets snippy with nVidia about High Sierra drivers, then remember that drivers for Sierra took almost a year.

:thumbdown Very deceiving news my friends! :thumbdown

Just finished some extended chat with the Nvidia support hotline o_O

Apparently, the 10.12 Nvidia Pascal Web Driver disaster seems to find its continuation also under 10.13 High Sierra :cry:

The answer was quite clear. There is an ongoing dispute between Apple and Nvidia concerning contracts, rights and marketing policies... Currently he was not able to say if there will be 10.13 macOS High Sierra web driver support at all. At least there will not be any 10.13 Web Driver support in the near future! :banghead:

Ironically, the 10.12.6 Web Driver workaround for 10.13 supports OpenGL and Metal just for Kepler graphics cards. Pascal and Maxwell users have to live with at least proper screen resolution and basic video acceleration...

Nvidia Pascal, simply a never ending nightmare? :mad:

Anybody interested in writing or supporting a follow-up petition/request to Nvidia :?:
My experience with nVidia telephone support people is that they know SFA. I'd take this with a bucket of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back