EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 660 2048MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Hello,

I have done some perusing and found that my 'problem' is quite common (http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...rder-around-screen-boot-screen-chameleon.html).

That being said, none of the solutions in any of the threads I have seen give me the answer I want. So far, it seems that 9 out of 10 of these threads lead to this one: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/121519-nvidia-how-get-rid-black-border.html

While the solutions there worked to an extent, they keep getting erased every time I do something with the MBR. Also, this solution only worked with my OS X and Windows installations, and not with Linux or during the BIOS screens.

In the second thread mentioned above, the author says that this issue can be fixed by flashing a new vBios to your graphics card that changes the scaling setting within the hardware. This thought has been reciprocated online, but none of the threads I've read thus far give any hint as to how to go about doing this.

Would anyone be able to explain in a little detail how to do this?

I have an EVGA GTX 660.

Hello,

I have done some perusing and found that my 'problem' is quite common (http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...rder-around-screen-boot-screen-chameleon.html).

That being said, none of the solutions in any of the threads I have seen give me the answer I want. So far, it seems that 9 out of 10 of these threads lead to this one: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/121519-nvidia-how-get-rid-black-border.html

While the solutions there worked to an extent, they keep getting erased every time I do something with the MBR. Also, this solution only worked with my OS X and Windows installations, and not with Linux or during the BIOS screens.

In the second thread mentioned above, the author says that this issue can be fixed by flashing a new vBios to your graphics card that changes the scaling setting within the hardware. This thought has been reciprocated online, but none of the threads I've read thus far give any hint as to how to go about doing this.

Would anyone be able to explain in a little detail how to do this?

I have an EVGA GTX 660.

For me, when using a GTX 570 I only got the black border when using the HDMI port on my card. Switching to a DVI port fixed it. It even worked fine if I used a DVI to HDMI adapter. Just had to use the DVI port on the card. Now I am using a GTX 970 and the HDMI port works to not display the black border either.

So my suggestion is to try a different port on the card.

For me, when using a GTX 570 I only got the black border when using the HDMI port on my card. Switching to a DVI port fixed it. It even worked fine if I used a DVI to HDMI adapter. Just had to use the DVI port on the card. Now I am using a GTX 970 and the HDMI port works to not display the black border either.

So my suggestion is to try a different port on the card.

For me it's the other way around. DVI gives the border, but HDMI does not. Sadly, my monitors do not have HDMI input, and I do not have any adapters.

For me it's the other way around. DVI gives the border, but HDMI does not. Sadly, my monitors do not have HDMI input, and I do not have any adapters.

Do you have the right screen resolution setup in your config.plist?

If you move to Clover you can also inject vesa modes without having to flash the card to support a 1920x1080 vesa mode.

Do you have the right screen resolution setup in your config.plist?

If you move to Clover you can also inject vesa modes without having to flash the card to support a 1920x1080 vesa mode.

Everything is the right resolution and my card already supports a 1920x1080 vesa mode. The only issue is that the scaling setting in the card's firmware is not what I want it to be. Unless there's some way to access that setting without flashing the card, then I'm fairly positive that flashing is my only option.

I know what's wrong and what I need to do to fix it, I just have no idea how to physically do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back