Contribute
Register

Z87X-UD7 TH max Thunderbolt 2 resolution just 2560x1600!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z87X-UD5 TH
CPU
Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
(Update: nope) Z87X-UD7 TH max Thunderbolt 2 resolution just 2560x1600!

This is not a post to confirm if Thunderbolt 2 will work on the UD7 TH over OSX since there are already threads for that with the UD5 TH which I assume works the same way UD7 TH will work with the only difference this last one supports Thunderbolt 2 instead of 1. As far as I know Thunderbolt already kind of works with the UD5 TH.

One thing that I was surprised to read on the Z87X-UD7 TH especification is that it has a max output resolution of 2560x1600 through Thunderbolt 2, this means that while this boards offer double the speed of Thunderbolt 1 with the second generation of this connections it fails to deliver 4k resolution?

I mean in the specifications page of Gigabyte they state both the HDMI 1.4a ports can deliver a max of 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz on these same board. The following is also stated:

* If a monitor is connected to the MDP2 Thunderbolt port, the top one of the two HDMI ports will become unavailable.
* Because of the limited I/O resources of the PC architecture, the number of Thunderbolt devices that can be used is dependent on the number of the PCI Express and PCI devices being installed. (Refer to Chapter 1-7, "Back Panel Connectors," for more information.)​

While I understand the above I don't quite get why while speed is doubled from Thunderbolt 1 to 2 this isn't noticed on the max resolutions outputs of these Thunderbolt 2 ports.

I have two theories to kind of imagine why would this be like that, I hope someone corrects my mistake if he knows something about or can fundament it because I have really no idea why would this be like that.

Could this resolution limitation be there just because there are no Thunderbolt 4k Displays the day of today while I am writing this? though there are already being produced even if they weren't when this mobo was announced:
http://www.amongtech.com/apple-thunderbolt-2-displays-to-be-27inch-and-32inch/

Lets remember UD7 TH was initially announced for september and then delayed several times till now on december we think it will be sold sometime this month. This was probably due to Apple not having started selling the Mac Pro for the moment which will be soon do this month. I of course don’t know if this has any relation but being Apple the major adopter of Intel’s last Thunderbolt technology I would say it could be guessed UD7 TH’s delay has to do with the fact that Apple should have the “theorical honour” of delivering the first product that supports it at least before there can be Hackintoshes seen delivering Thunderbolt 2 speeds if lucky leaving other brands free to do it afterwards.

Knowing that Apple’s next Thunderbolt display is near I would like to make my Hackintosh build compatible with it and don’t like these limitation. ¿Does this limitation make sense hardwarewise because of the PCI Express? ¿Or is it just temporary?

Sorry, I guess my ignorance in hardware matter is obvious. I just realised Asus Z87 Extreme9/ac supports 4k under Thunderbolt 1 and it is also a 1150 socket. I prefer Gigabyte because of the DSDT free and from what I know there aren't any other Thunderbolt 2 motherboard announced. Still can't figure out why that limitation of the UD7 TH

Both Asrock and Asus claim a 4k resolution via either thunderbolt 1 or 2. I wonder if the UD7 TH info is in error?

This is not a post to confirm if Thunderbolt 2 will work on the UD7 TH over OSX since there are already threads for that with the UD5 TH which I assume works the same way UD7 TH will work with the only difference this last one supports Thunderbolt 2 instead of 1. As far as I know Thunderbolt already kind of works with the UD5 TH. ....
How do you come to that conclusion? there are two posters here with the UD5 TH telling us that TB does not work at their build, and i haven't seen someone who tells us it does.

Apparently it is, here the link
http://es.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-z87x-ud7_th/specs/

Here is what it says:
For one moment I though it may mean that for when there are 2 displays connected but that is not the case with HDMI.

Procesador gráfico integrado:
  • 2 x HDMI ports, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
    * Support for HDMI 1.4a version.
Intel® DSL5520 chip:
  • Maximum shared memory of 1 GB
  • 2 x Thunderbolt ports (MDP1/MDP2) supporting Mini-DisplayPort and Thunderbolt monitor(s) and a maximum resolution of 2560x1600.
    * If a monitor is connected to the MDP2 Thunderbolt port, the top one of the two HDMI ports will become unavailable.
    * Because of the limited I/O resources of the PC architecture, the number of Thunderbolt devices that can be used is dependent on the number of the PCI Express and PCI devices being installed. (Refer to Chapter 1-7, "Back Panel Connectors," for more information.)

Finally found the info on Gigabyte's website is incorrect, just downloaded the manual of both the Z87X-UD7 TH and the UD5 TH and it states there a max resolution of 3840x2160 is supported through Thunderbolt. This makes sense now. However I now hope UD7 TH supports 4k at 60hz (with Displayport 1.2a standard) and not just at 30hz like with Thunderbolt 1 since 4k at 60hz requires a bandwidth of 17.28Gbps that covers almost all 20Gbps bandwidth of Thunderbolts 2.

Dell has announced some 4k monitors with 60hz support recently and one under $1000. No news on whether this sub $1k 4k monitor will support 60hz though. Just so you know guys.

Finally found the info on Gigabyte's website is incorrect, just downloaded the manual of both the Z87X-UD7 TH and the UD5 TH and it states there a max resolution of 3840x2160 is supported through Thunderbolt. This makes sense now. However I now hope UD7 TH supports 4k at 60hz (with Displayport 1.2a standard) and not just at 30hz like with Thunderbolt 1 since 4k at 60hz requires a bandwidth of 17.28Gbps that covers almost all 20Gbps bandwidth of Thunderbolts 2.

Dell has announced some 4k monitors with 60hz support recently and one under $1000. No news on whether this sub $1k 4k monitor will support 60hz though. Just so you know guys.
Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back