Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have recently built a Hackintosh with the following specs;

MoBo: Z790 Aorus Elite AX DDR4
CPU: Intel I9 13900Kf
GPU: AMD Radeon RX6600 8Gb

I cannot get the USB-C ports, front and main I/O panel on motherboard to work. When I plug devices into the front panel they light up but nothing shows in the OS and same for the back panel from the MOBO.

Not sure what to look for or what kexts, if any, need to be added/remove.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Shaun

Do you have a USBPorts.kext or USBMap.kext for your setup?

If yes, post a copy so we can see what you are using and how many ports you are activating.

These are the USB ports available on your motherboard.

Chipset:
  1. 1 x USB Type-C® port on the back panel, with USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 support
  2. 1 x USB Type-C® port with USB 3.2 Gen 2 support, available through the internal USB header
  3. 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A ports (red) on the back panel
  4. 5 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports (3 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)
Chipset+2 USB 2.0 Hubs:
  1. 8 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)
This means there are a maximum of 26 x ports available. You are of course aware that Apple have set a limit/maximum of 15 x ports per USB Controller. So you would only be able to use 15/26 x ports in your USBPorts.kext.

Regarding your Type-C ports:

USB Type-C ports and headers require to be set with one of two possible connector types (9) or (10). The difference between the two definitions/connection types is shown below.

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 19.53.52.png

By 'Flipping' they mean unplugging the device and rotating the USB Type-C device 180°, before plugging it back in to the same connector on the case front I/O or rear case I/O plate.

OK the USB-C ports are working now after installing a newer version of usbinjectall.kext but the speeds are really slow, like USB2
I've attached pics from Hackintool and Opencore configurator if that helps in making an assessment.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Hackintool.png
    Hackintool.png
    147.9 KB · Views: 178
  • Kernel.png
    Kernel.png
    199.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Kexts.png
    Kexts.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 169
OK the USB-C ports are working now after installing a newer version of usbinjectall.kext but the speeds are really slow, like USB2
I've attached pics from Hackintool and Opencore configurator if that helps in making an assessment.

Thanks in advance

Hi there.

The reason for the slow speed is because you have no USB3 ports defined, only USB2 (HS**).

So in this case it appears that USBInjectAll is not actually doing the full job of opening-up all possible ports - USB2 and USB3.

The way we usually get around this is by using the USBInjectAll include/explude command-lines. Basically what we do is to exclude all USB2 (HS**) ports except the one powering our keyboard/mouse. This makes the 10x USB3 ports (SS**) show up in the list. For both sets of ports we use a USB2 and USB3 memory stick plugged into each one so we can see where they are physically. For example we would hope HS01 is the same physical port as SS01. Sadly this is not always the case and why we need to do the test. In this case twice.

I'm sorry I don't have access to a Z790 motherboard to check for any problems.

:)

Hi there.

The reason for the slow speed is because you have no USB3 ports defined, only USB2 (HS**).

So in this case it appears that USBInjectAll is not actually doing the full job of opening-up all possible ports - USB2 and USB3.

The way we usually get around this is by using the USBInjectAll include/explude command-lines. Basically what we do is to exclude all USB2 (HS**) ports except the one powering our keyboard/mouse. This makes the 10x USB3 ports (SS**) show up in the list. For both sets of ports we use a USB2 and USB3 memory stick plugged into each one so we can see where they are physically. For example we would hope HS01 is the same physical port as SS01. Sadly this is not always the case and why we need to do the test. In this case twice.

I'm sorry I don't have access to a Z790 motherboard to check for any problems.

Thanks for your reply. Is there any guide or tutorial that can show me how to go about doing the fix you mentioned above??? Do I use Hackintool in conjunction with another program etc??

Thanks for your reply. Is there any guide or tutorial that can show me how to go about doing the fix you mentioned above??? Do I use Hackintool in conjunction with another program etc??

Yes, there is.

It's a biggy which is why I wrote the "Beginners" guides to simplify things. However for the Include/Exclude options the full original guide by the Master is the one:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

@RehabMan is no longer active in the Hackintosh world but his legacy is still a valuable resource. He was the original author of USBInjectAll.

Basically take into account the brief summary I gave in the above post and cherry-pick the details from the guide so you can implement them. You don't have to use the full guide at all. What I outlined is all you need to do.

By the way, Hackintool now makes the process so much more "visual" when checking your work.

:thumbup:

Yes, there is.

It's a biggy which is why I wrote the "Beginners" guides to simplify things. However for the Include/Exclude options the full original guide by the Master is the one:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

@RehabMan is no longer active in the Hackintosh world but his legacy is still a valuable resource. He was the original author of USBInjectAll.

Basically take into account the brief summary I gave in the above post and cherry-pick the details from the guide so you can implement them. You don't have to use the full guide at all. What I outlined is all you need to do.

By the way, Hackintool now makes the process so much more "visual" when checking your work.

OK legend thanks mate I'll give it a crack and report back.

Yes, there is.

OK I have tried to exclude the HS ports but they still show and no SS ports show. I have used USBToolbox, USBMap script and none of them are working as they should. Any ideas of what to do next much appreciated.

OK I have tried to exclude the HS ports but they still show and no SS ports show. I have used USBToolbox, USBMap script and none of them are working as they should. Any ideas of what to do next much appreciated.

Well, it's difficult to troubleshoot as we don't have much to go on ...

For example:

1) the point-version of USBInjectAll you are using needs to be one that supports the System-Definition you are using. Neither do we know.

2) the version of macOS you are using.

3) the device-ID included in your XHCI-unsupported.kext. The version - 0.8 - you seem to be using is very old and unlikely to know anything about Z790 unless it has been manually modified.

It's clear from the Hackintool screengrab that the XHCI controller has not been correctly identified. Propbably because of the new Z790 chipset.

There are not any fully-working and documented Z790 builds about to give us a direction to go in. However as you wish to use USBToolBox then this build has an apparently working USB stack under Ventura for reference:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...i7-13700k-msi-rx-6650-xt.324204/#post-2363449

Thanks again for your reply.
To give you some more info here are answers to my system info that I didn't give earlier;

1) the point-version of USBInjectAll you are using needs to be one that supports the System-Definition you are using. Neither do we know.
(MacPro 2019 is the System Definition and the version of USBInjectall is 0.8)

2) the version of macOS you are using.
(Monterey 12.6.3)

3) the device-ID included in your XHCI-unsupported.kext. The version - 0.8 - you seem to be using is very old and unlikely to know anything about Z790 unless it has been manually modified.
(As far as I know I am using the most up to date version from Rehabman. Sorry where do I find this info out???) Sorry mate I am still a noob at all of this.

Back