Contribute
Register

Z77X-UD5H - USB Problems - Reboot (Yosemite)

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Yosemite 10.10 I had the same freeze problems when plugging in any usb device after a longer sleeping interval of my system. It seems the update to 10.10.1 has solved my freeze problems. :D
(I'm using Multibeast 7.0.2)

The 10.10.1 update didn't get rid of the Z77X-UD5H USB kernel panic bug for me. Freezing behavior is no different than before with this board and MultiBeast 7.0.2. Everything's fine till it sleeps and wakes, and then after that any changes made to any USB port - plugging in a thumb drive, SD card, or launching Parallels - causes instant kernel panic.

At this point I think I've tried everything kext, DSDT and BIOS related, and nothing has fixed it. I'm heartened by the reports here that a Clover installation doesn't suffer from the USB bug, but since neither of my GPUs (onboard HD4000 and ATI HD5870) has a GOP BIOS for compatibility with Clover boot loader and disabling CSM in the Gigabyte BIOS, I remain hopeful that someone can solve this issue for us Chimera users as it's really the only major issue that's plagued this particular motherboard since Yosemite. There's just no reason for this to be a permanent PITA with this excellent board that worked flawlessly up till now.

Re: madmans' comment

Sorry for hijacking the discussion, but please give me some pointers regarding the CSM option.

On my rig [Chimera], the boot priority is "P0:SANDISK" (the SSD system disk). When I select CSM support "NEVER", the system double-beeps and freezes. The only way to restore a normal boot is via the reset CMOS button on the MB.

How about you, madman? How do you get it to boot with CSM disabled? Can you please let me know your boot priority table?

Once again, sorry for the n00b question.

I use clover with uefi and this is the reason why I can boot and access the Bios

... but since neither of my GPUs (onboard HD4000 and ATI HD5870) has a GOP BIOS for compatibility with Clover boot loader and disabling CSM in the Gigabyte BIOS, I remain hopeful that someone can solve this issue for us Chimera users

I was a total Clover n00b up until the day before yesterday (I was waiting to see if the 10.10.1 update solved the USB issues, which it did not). Furthermore, my graphics card does NOT have a "GOP BIOS", so it remains blank during the boot process - no BIOS posting.

Despite these issues, I managed to convert painlessly to a Clover-based Z77x-UD5h hack. All that's required is:

- install Clover*
- setup your BIOS as required, with UEFI disks in the Boot priority tables, save it to a default (e.g. "Yosemite Before CSM" or something)
- a note on BIOS: as was the case with Mavericks, it's critical to disable WOL and the PLL overvoltage advanced memory setting
- test to see that everything works, and only then perform the final step, i.e.
- disable CSM

It really does solve the USB issue, and you get your life back!

*I am attaching excerpts from my config.plist, because I ran into a lot of trouble figuring out basic stuff on how to set it up; it is obviously missing my SN#, but you can use it as a reference. I have found that:

- there is no need for a "dev-mode" kext argument
- it's best to specify a boot volume because there won't be a GUI to select from
- iMac 13,2 SMBIOS works, although I've read that perhaps 12,2 (despite not being Ivy-Bridge) provides better CPU management
- the AppleRTC on-the-fly kernel patch is probably critical

Attachments

• (excerpts from Clover) config.plist
    3.1 KB · Views: 119
Just a warning - Careful disabling CSM!

I disabled it on my Ud5h (ver 1.0 , bios 14) - OSx stopped working. I spent an hour fixing it and re-flashing bios (back to ver 14) worked. Just make sure you boot xHCI / SATA etc settings before you boot.

I have another HDD with Snowleapord on it - that one didn't boot either so I knew issue is with BIOS. Windows worked perfect! I tried all combinations and keep giving me different reboots or freeze at IOBluetooth error (which is mainly a video driver error).

If I didn't know better - I would be going down wrong rabbit hole for a while.
There are soem settings when you touch them, you have to re-flash BIOS to get it working again.

I really appreciate your feedback. Maybe I need to give Clover another try. What guide did you use for your installation? Thanks.

The concept (switching from Chameleon -> Clover) is straightforward.

Get some info that's UD5h-specific:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...i5-3570k-ssd-clover-installation-dummies.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...ide-z77x-ud5h-mavericks-clover-uefi-mode.html

Make sure you:
- have the F14 BIOS version
- optimized defaults, PLL overvoltage DISABLED, Wake on LAN disabled
- install Clover [from its github site]
- edit its config.plist to create a bootable system; I didn't bother with iMessage at this stage
- my smbios is iMac13,2
- make sure you have the AppleRTC kernel patch on the plist (please download mine, attached above, so as to review the critical changes; it's from a working Z77x-UD5h system!)
- not sure about the other settings, because the guides were not very specific; I tried most, based on Clover Configurator screenshots
- now your startup disk has a valid UEFI partition, so it can be selected on the BIOS disk priority tables
- reboot
- you should now be getting a Clover bootloader screen (default theme is Christmas); choose "boot Mac OS X"
- make sure everything is working, with particular attention to the xHCI settings suggested by Ultrazone
- set your startup disk in the Clover config.plist, to auto-boot
- reboot and disable CSM; you should be good to go

Just a warning - Careful disabling CSM!

I disabled it on my Ud5h (ver 1.0 , bios 14) - OSx stopped working. I spent an hour fixing it and re-flashing bios (back to ver 14) worked. Just make sure you boot xHCI / SATA etc settings before you boot.

I have another HDD with Snowleapord on it - that one didn't boot either so I knew issue is with BIOS. Windows worked perfect! I tried all combinations and keep giving me different reboots or freeze at IOBluetooth error (which is mainly a video driver error).

If I didn't know better - I would be going down wrong rabbit hole for a while.
There are soem settings when you touch them, you have to re-flash BIOS to get it working again.

It took me countkless days to get everything back on track like it worked with Mavericks. But finally everything works very nicely. Also it is pretty fast under Yosemite.

Many thanks xenophone - I'm trying a fresh Clover installation with an extra SSD following your advice and will report back asap.

The concept (switching from Chameleon -> Clover) is straightforward.

Get some info that's UD5h-specific:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...i5-3570k-ssd-clover-installation-dummies.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...ide-z77x-ud5h-mavericks-clover-uefi-mode.html

Make sure you:
- have the F14 BIOS version
- optimized defaults, PLL overvoltage DISABLED, Wake on LAN disabled
- install Clover [from its github site]
- edit its config.plist to create a bootable system; I didn't bother with iMessage at this stage
- my smbios is iMac13,2
- make sure you have the AppleRTC kernel patch on the plist (please download mine, attached above, so as to review the critical changes; it's from a working Z77x-UD5h system!)
- not sure about the other settings, because the guides were not very specific; I tried most, based on Clover Configurator screenshots
- now your startup disk has a valid UEFI partition, so it can be selected on the BIOS disk priority tables
- reboot
- you should now be getting a Clover bootloader screen (default theme is Christmas); choose "boot Mac OS X"
- make sure everything is working, with particular attention to the xHCI settings suggested by Ultrazone
- set your startup disk in the Clover config.plist, to auto-boot
- reboot and disable CSM; you should be good to go

You're welcome; I'm very optimistic that you will be happy with the final result.

One last piece of advice:

- I, too, used a spare 2.5" disk for testing (with a vanilla Yosemite install), and had a lot of trouble figuring out which EFI partition is active at any given time
- at some point, the rig became unbootable, although I suspect it was some sort of mess I had created by playing around with config.plist settings and BIOS changes
- in the end, I disabled the SATA port for the testing disk, and jettisoned that installation

Somehow, I cannot rule out that Clover must live as a single copy, on the active boot disk, and may get confused if other EFI partitions also have valid bootloader installations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back