Contribute
Register

Z77X-UD5H - USB Problems - Reboot (Yosemite)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: I'm back on BIOS F14. F16 had some issues that began cropping up -

1. Every reboot toggled CSM back to Enabled, even though I chose Windows 8 in the BIOS as the OS and disabled CSM. Didn't matter, a reboot re-enabled CSM support and stopped Clover from loading properly.

2. With F16 the system slept as usual but the monitor wouldn't wake with the rest of the system.

Both issues were fixed by reverting back to BIOS F14. In both cases I used identical BIOS settings.

I'm glad for those of you UD5H owners getting better system behavior with F16. For my setup I'll stick with F14.

@jaymonkey

The UD5H/i7-3770K combo has proven to be my most enduring Hackintosh keeper. Conservatively overclocked and paired with a good GPU, it can still hang with the fastest Macs Apple sells today.

@shaveblog,

Agreed, I have had my GA-Z77X-UD5H rig for about 4 years now and still cant find a reason to update it, sure a 6 or 8 core i7 on latest skt/chipset would be nice but hard to justify the expense but power management is still not full supported by OSX ... yet

When you look at the latest 5th Gen single chip quad core i7's and motherboard chipset's the performance gain over my existing rig is not very much, since 3rd Gen Sandy Bridge Intel has not made any real significant performance increases with Ivy, Haswell and Haswell Refresh except for better power management and HD GPU.

Cheers
Jay

Just an update to possibly help some of you UD5H owners still suffering with this Yosemite USB/freeze issue:

For some reason the latest Clover build borked my installation, and I couldn't get it to boot even with a fresh Clover/OS X install using the exact same config.plist and DSDT. So I tried a few things and what I wound up with surprised and delighted me enough to share it here:

The aforementioned modified F16 BIOS from tweaktown seems to fix the USB issues with the Z77X-UD5H motherboard, Yosemite and MultiBeast. At least it does on my system.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3p1z6nehomftnif/z77xud5h_mod11_f16.zip

I discovered this by accident, after updating to the latest Clover build which then KP'd on boot no matter what I tried. I spent the afternoon reinstalling Clover and Yosemite from scratch, reflashing the BIOS, but no luck.

Finally, after reflashing the BIOS to F16 yet again, I thought hey, why not give MultiBeast another go. It was either that or a non-booting system, so it really wasn't so much a "choice" as a desperate measure. But F16 seems to have fixed the issues Yosemite has with the UD5H's VIA USB chipset. Sleep/wake works perfectly, I can plug and unplug any and all USB drives, charging iPhones, etc. and the sky doesn't fall. As an added bonus, even though I'm overclocking my i7-3770K to 4.6GHz with exactly the same BIOS settings as before, the system runs cooler at both idle and full load.

What do I lose by going back to MultiBeast from Clover? Messages and FaceTime logins are broken again. Couldn't care less, never use them. But they worked under Clover, and now that I'm back on Chimera, they don't. I'm fine with that.

I'd love to know why the new Clover build borked my system, and why I wasn't able to get it working again even with a fresh installation and the same working config.plist and DSDT as before. But to be honest, if I can get a Hackintosh running with no issues other than non-essentials like Messages/Facetime, I'll take MultiBeast over Clover every time. MB I understand. It's easy, it's time-tested, it works right every time. Clover is a Russian hell-bitch of poor and outdated documentation, way less ready for prime time than MultiBeast. Maybe it's a better fit for the latest boards and chipsets. For the UD5H, save yourself the headache and just try the F16 BIOS with MultiBeast. Thanks jaymonkey for hipping me to F16, it didn't work so well for me with Clover but it's the savior for Chimera/Yosemite/UD5H.

Hey just curious what issues you had when you had/tried installing Clover? I never had a USB freeze problem with Clover.

Like you I was using MB and everything was fine until I went with Clover, I got it working nearly perfect apart from some boot problems but now I can't boot at all and am trying the entire day to get it reinstalled using Clover

I would really love to get Messages and FT working with Clover but like you said, the lack of support is pretty maddening. Tutorials that seem like they should work just don't..

@momavujisic
I had my UD5H/i7-3770K system working 100% under the last Clover build, outstanding in every way. But like an idiot I just HAD to update Clover to the latest build, and then it wouldn't boot. I'd get the boot screen but then an immediate kernel panic. Same BIOS settings, same DSDT, same EFI config.plist. I made my own Clover r3215 with CloverGrowerPro, and when that didn't work I tried the SourceForge build but that didn't work either. I got the same kernel panic during boot with both versions. Reflashed BIOS to virgin state, started from scratch with fresh OS X install, nothing. Now I'm back on MultiBeast and all is well thanks to the tweaked F16 BIOS.

I feel like in the last several months of getting up to speed with Clover (thanks to xenophon61) I got pretty good at knowing how to properly install and configure it, and have successfully moved a number of our Sandy and Ivy Hacks over from Chimera to Clover. But this new Clover build seems to have issues, at least with my UD5H. I don't think it's properly formatting an EFI partition for the UEFI BIOS to see, because before I used to see a "Mac OS X" bootable drive option in BIOS after installing Clover, but with the latest build all I see is my SSD. Even installing Clover exactly as before, I don't think it's properly installing a boot loader, because trying to boot was just like booting a Hackintosh with an OS X installation but no boot loader added. Instant KP.

Like I said, I'm indebted to xenophon61 for helping me get Clover working on my UD5H, and the months it worked it was great. Everything worked right, even the stuff that's problematic with MultiBeast like Messages and FaceTime logins. But this episode has taught me to be a bit more wait-and-see with Clover. UEFI boot loaders seem to be the way forward, but Clover's support framework is ****-poor to be frank. You can't just install Clover and boot into Yosemite, you have to consider a whole array of EFI config.plist options which are cryptic and non-intuitive and make no sense if you're used to Chameleon/Chimera/MultiBeast. The "best" road map for properly configuring config.list is the unofficial Wiki guide at http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration but it's outdated and incomplete.

I mean, seriously - the main site for Clover, ProjectOSX, WENT DOWN BECAUSE THE CLOVER GANG MESSED UP THE SITE FILES, and it doesn't look like it's ever coming back online. Look, I've killed Wordpress sites because I messed with a single file. it happens. But these geniuses, these master hackers, can't be bothered to get the only site with all the official Clover info and files back online? That tells me this isn't something I want to lean too hard on for my work computers.

If you're a hobbyist and this is just fun and games for you, great, dick around with Clover till the cows come home. If you're a professional who depends on Mac uptime, Clover is way too iffy unless you luckily hit upon the magic combination of Clover version, config.plist settings, DSDT edits, UEFI drivers, fakesmc location depending on whether your specific version of Clover prefers it to be in EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/ or S/L/E, etc. etc. And if you hit the jackpot and your system boots into OS X without any issues, NEVER UPDATE CLOVER. Stop reading the forums, don't check out SourceForge, and above all don't install that Control Panel widget that tells you there's a new Clover version available for download. We're all human, and of course we're going to click download, and then your day's shot because some Russian kid forgot to include a hyphen in line 672.

I hope the Clover gang gets it together. Right now it's a @%#$ crapshoot. Wake me when it's suitable for grownups who don't relish a whole day spent screaming obscenities at a boot screen.

@shaveblog Amen to that. Last night I had a breakthrough with Clover (using the latest build from SF as of June 4), managed to get everything going on the first try believe it or not, took some researching and understanding a bit some of the Configurator settings but I got it going perfectly with iCloud apps, etc. I haven't yet tried to do further configs like themes and sleep–will test out over the weekend.

I totally agree with you regarding work/hobby computer. Thankfully I have a MBP that can serve as a work computer so now I'm just playing around, but if you need a reliable machine I would stay on Chimera/MB–iMessage and FT is just not worth the potential hassle and unreliability. Even now I am reconsidering whether or not I should continue staying on Clover or move back to Chimera/MB simply because I'm afraid that eventually the project will die and I'll have to start again anyways with Chimera/Multibeast (maybe I should look into how TM backups from Clover systems work with MB installs?).

I'll remember what you say about updating Clover. If a bunch of dudes crashed their websites I can only imagine what's going on when they build Clover! Like you said, this is the way forward hopefully sometime in the future Tonymac et al will get together and put out something intuitive and reliable, until then we're at the Clover devs mercy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back