Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
FYI - I have been scouring the forums and doing my own testing with my Gigabyte Hackintosh setup, doing i7 3770k w/ the Z77X-UD5H. Originally built OS on ML 10.8.3 - audio worked flawlessly with MULTIBEAST 5.3.1. Now here is the key ... I did combo update after my brother tested his same computer build that I designed for us with a 10.8.4 - 10.8.5 upgrade.... because he said he had no issues he just reran MultiBeast after update for Realtek 898 audio (NO DSDT is needed w/these mobos).... and TRIM support for our SSDs (because that's what we run).

I did the same thing with MultiBeast 5.5.0 and 5.5.1 because I always update my software packages together generally... EVERY TIME I USED 5.5.0 and 5.5.1 regardless of repairing permissions and rebooting etc. - I still got audio crackling on YouTube videos and even in iTunes occasionally until I would stop audio and do a refresh in a browser or stop iTunes audio and replay it.

I believe I have finally found my own fix and for others ripping their hair out I wanted to share because -

1. This forum ****ing owns. I love how there is such a community of people who support each other.
2. You deserve it if you've gotten this far with building out your machine...

So - I decided why not use Multibeast 5.3.1 again to reapply the audio kext bundled with it... wasn't sure if it had changed at all for 10.8.5, but the worst that would happen is no audio - no biggie.

I reapplied with MB 5.3.1 Realtek 898 Audio (no dsdt option) and BOOM! Audio crackling has ceased to happen.

So if your most recent version of Multibeast and ML 10.8.5 w/the Z77X-UD5H is giving you issues with audio... try backing the Multibeast ver back to 5.3.1 and see what happens when you apply the audio.

Feel free to private message me or post to the forum with any other questions in reference to 10.8.5 and Z77X-UD5H. Thanks to everyone who posts out here and gives the community help when needed!

FYI - I have been scouring the forums and doing my own testing with my Gigabyte Hackintosh setup, doing i7 3770k w/ the Z77X-UD5H. Originally built OS on ML 10.8.3 - audio worked flawlessly with MULTIBEAST 5.3.1. Now here is the key ... I did combo update after my brother tested his same computer build that I designed for us with a 10.8.4 - 10.8.5 upgrade.... because he said he had no issues he just reran MultiBeast after update for Realtek 898 audio (NO DSDT is needed w/these mobos).... and TRIM support for our SSDs (because that's what we run).

I did the same thing with MultiBeast 5.5.0 and 5.5.1 because I always update my software packages together generally... EVERY TIME I USED 5.5.0 and 5.5.1 regardless of repairing permissions and rebooting etc. - I still got audio crackling on YouTube videos and even in iTunes occasionally until I would stop audio and do a refresh in a browser or stop iTunes audio and replay it.

I believe I have finally found my own fix and for others ripping their hair out I wanted to share because -

1. This forum ****ing owns. I love how there is such a community of people who support each other.
2. You deserve it if you've gotten this far with building out your machine...

So - I decided why not use Multibeast 5.3.1 again to reapply the audio kext bundled with it... wasn't sure if it had changed at all for 10.8.5, but the worst that would happen is no audio - no biggie.

I reapplied with MB 5.3.1 Realtek 898 Audio (no dsdt option) and BOOM! Audio crackling has ceased to happen.

So if your most recent version of Multibeast and ML 10.8.5 w/the Z77X-UD5H is giving you issues with audio... try backing the Multibeast ver back to 5.3.1 and see what happens when you apply the audio.

Feel free to private message me or post to the forum with any other questions in reference to 10.8.5 and Z77X-UD5H. Thanks to everyone who posts out here and gives the community help when needed!
Thanks for posting this. I was experiencing the same problems with my UD5H. I'll try it and see if it works for me.

However, I saw another form like this and it seemed like the general consensus was that the crackling was due to Chrome's built in Flash Player. If you use Firefox or Safari this problem will not happen.

I saw those posts as well - it's not true, it's an assumption. Or it may be true on those specific machines. Because I could always get Chrome to crackle easily but iTunes wasn't as easy to screw up, but it would eventually or after I would get a OS X Notification (I have 3 monitors so when something happens on another monitor OS X will notification sound by default - this would generally make the audio crackle happen almost always).

So far - nothing has made the issue duplicate itself after MBeast 5.3.1 Realtek 898 application... and that's the only thing I installed from 5.3.1 after 10.8.5 update. That and TRIM support for SSDs (but only in 5.5.0 because it only had to be reapplied 1 time).

Post results folks that have had the issue so we can get this one resolved or at least get feedback to those that can fix it!

Thanks for quick response!

I'm having the exact same problem and it started the same way.

1. Updated to 10.8.5 through the App Store, restarted machine.
2. On Sept 1st I downloaded MultiBeast-Mountain-Lion-Edition-5.5.0 and installed only the ALC898 (Without DSDT), restarted machine.
3. After that, shortly (3-6 minutes) after listening to anything, even Spotify, it would start to crackle.

I am always able to temporarily restore audio by turning the audio off for a short period.

I JUST attempted to download the latest MultiBeast-Mountain-Lion-Edition-5.5.2 and reinstalled the ALC898 (Without DSDT) drivers and the problem persists.

I JUST attempted to download the latest MultiBeast-Mountain-Lion-Edition-5.5.2 and reinstalled the ALC898 (Without DSDT) drivers and the problem persists.

You could try the new 3 Port Audio Enabler in Multibeast 5.5.1

It improved my audio a lot although I don't have the same board as you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having the exact same problem and it started the same way.

1. Updated to 10.8.5 through the App Store, restarted machine.
2. On Sept 1st I downloaded MultiBeast-Mountain-Lion-Edition-5.5.0 and installed only the ALC898 (Without DSDT), restarted machine.
3. After that, shortly (3-6 minutes) after listening to anything, even Spotify, it would start to crackle.

I am always able to temporarily restore audio by turning the audio off for a short period.
I only notice it in Chrome. I used spotify for like an hour today and didnt notice anything.

Did anyone try Multibeast 5.3.1 that has this exact same board. aaron - did you try this and still having issues with Chrome? All my issues have gone away using an older version of Multibeast. I see 5.5.2 just got released but the changelog says nothing about audio fixes.

Did anyone try Multibeast 5.3.1 that has this exact same board. aaron - did you try this and still having issues with Chrome? All my issues have gone away using an older version of Multibeast. I see 5.5.2 just got released but the changelog says nothing about audio fixes.
Yeah I tried it and in my short testing it did appear the problem went away, but I also got a new problem. The audio would cut out for a split second every few seconds. I think I'm just going to have to man it out with firefox or safari for a while. Or i guess I could also opt in to the HTML5 trial.

I used Multibeast 5.3.1 to install the audio drivers (without DSDT) and restarted my machine. At that point, I had no audio. I then attempted to reinstall the audio drivers (without DSDT) using Multibeast 5.5.1 and restarted my machine. Still no audio... :(

I guess I'm stuck without audio now, argh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back