Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

I'm curious too. I've never seen anyone use a 5th generation M.2 SSD.
Got an Aorus Gen5 12000, it's giving a "3rd party nvme controller" panic / crash right after boot
Someone else with a T700 also got the same
w/ and w/o nvmefix

Someone said the Z540 performs much more reliably, but still occasionally crashes on desktop.

can anyone see, what might be the differences between them causing this? all 3 are using the Phison E26 Controller and all 3 have an LPDDR4 cache

The drives use an NVMe controller - Phison E26 - that is unsupported in macOS. As was the case with the previous Phison controllers, these controllers are likely to cause reboot/shutdown issues you are seeing in macOS.

You need to use a 5th Gen M.2 drive that doesn't use a Phison controller, which seems unlikely at the moment, as nearly all the 5th Gen M.2 drives I have seen or read about use the Phison E26 controller. I have read about a few manufacturers (Samsung & Kioxia) using Proprietary controllers, but most of the others use the Phison controller.

I have not seen a 5th Gen M.2 drive from WD or SanDisk as yet. The WD or SanDisk controllers are more likely to work with macOS, but that is a bit of wishful thinking on my part.

Got an Aorus Gen5 12000, it's giving a "3rd party nvme controller" panic / crash right after boot
Someone else with a T700 also got the same
w/ and w/o nvmefix

Someone said the Z540 performs much more reliably, but still occasionally crashes on desktop.

can anyone see, what might be the differences between them causing this? all 3 are using the Phison E26 Controller and all 3 have an LPDDR4 cache

Where did they write about it?
I have been using this source for a long time, where there is information about SSD controllers

Team Z540 - Phison E26

ADATA​
Project Blackbird​
InnoGrit IG5666​
ADATA​
Project NeonStorm​
SMI SM2508​
ADATA​
Project Nighthawk​
SMI SM2508​
Team​
Z54A​
InnoGrit IG5666​

Last edited:
Where did they write about it?
I....don't think I can link it? This is my third time writing this comment and it gets deleted with any portion of the link. I suppose I can DM it to you.

Just some discussion between the three of us there. No one's an expert but I'm more than happy to work with some of you guys to get some progress

ADATA​
Project Blackbird​
InnoGrit IG5666​
ADATA​
Project NeonStorm​
SMI SM2508​
ADATA​
Project Nighthawk​
SMI SM2508​
Team​
Z54A​
InnoGrit IG5666​

Good catches, however it seems all those haven't been released yet :/ the worst being the ADATA ones, announced at CES 2022, 2 years ago, and still not out. The Team Z54A may hit retail soon, as it was just announced finished recently. The Team GE Pro will be available for pre-order February 9th and I'm more than happy to try that one.
However, won't we run in to the same issue as the Phison E26? Aren't these controllers above unsupported as well? @Edhawk

The drives use an NVMe controller - Phison E26 - that is unsupported in macOS. As was the case with the previous Phison controllers, these controllers are likely to cause reboot/shutdown issues you are seeing in macOS.
I could use some more light here. I have drives with the Phison E16 (Sabrent Rocket), E18 (Team A440), and the E21T (Silicon Power UD90) - which all work fine with macOS. How do these work / why does mac have drivers for them?
You need to use a 5th Gen M.2 drive that doesn't use a Phison controller, which seems unlikely at the moment, as nearly all the 5th Gen M.2 drives I have seen or read about use the Phison E26 controller. I have read about a few manufacturers (Samsung & Kioxia) using Proprietary controllers, but most of the others use the Phison controller.

I have not seen a 5th Gen M.2 drive from WD or SanDisk as yet. The WD or SanDisk controllers are more likely to work with macOS, but that is a bit of wishful thinking on my part.
Proprietary ones could work? Like the Samsung NVMes of past which had proprietary controllers but work fine in macOS?

By the way all, please feel free to continue this discussion in the dedicated thread I've made for Gen5 SSDs, we can keep it neat and consolidated, while also not deviating from the topic here

Hi guys, I have a 13900ks with an asus strix z690-g motherboard. Is there any possibility to enable the UHD 770 graphics on osx?

Hi guys, I have a 13900ks with an asus strix z690-g motherboard. Is there any possibility to enable the UHD 770 graphics on osx?
Unfortunately that is a resounding no, I had the same motherboard paired with a RX6900 XT card though and it was a rock.

Back