Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

I reinstalled macOS on a Samsung 750 Evo (SATA SSD) and the problem is gone. Thanks!

I'm now on 7D25v12.
Mmm... I'm on E7D25IMS.120 from 02/24/2022. Is it the same?
Please check significant points in BIOS like this:
- Above 4G Memory - Enabled
- VGA Detection - Auto
- CFG Lock - Disabled

This settings can be changed automatically after BIOS upgrade. I have to check it every time after flashing.

You can drop all BIOS to default settigns and set again the significant values.
My BIOS screenshots attached.

UPD: MSI BIOS can change some settings than can't be changed by hands. For example, there isn't "Disable iGPU" point in BIOS menu, but anytime (whan you are changing something else) you press F10 and can see in a list of changings: "iGPU -> Disabled".

Attachments

• Scrs.zip
    445.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Strange stuff here, clearly user error. Can someone please advise?

When I first got up and running I was able get a 1900/13260 GB score. Clearly Hyperthreading was working there. I've been dialing everything in now and experimenting a bunch and something has to have changed but I cant quite pin point it.

In short, I can't get hyperthreading enabled. With P Cores only System Report says that it is but according to Intel Power Gadget I'm not breaking 3.6ghz. What gives?

Should I be creating my own CPUFriendDataProvider or is the one provide on all Mac Pro 7,1 builds going to be the same?

Apologies for all the question, just want to get it right.

Update: Gosh, I'm always writing questions and finding the answers right in front of me. I referred back to the Asus Pro Z690 build as it uses a 12700k and now I'm back to P+E+HT. I was using the wrong Frequency Vectors in CPUFriendDataProvider.

I am attempting to build my own Data Provider now. Big Sur is working great with the iMacPro1,1 Data Provider however Monterey turns off HT. I suspect I need MacPro7,1. I've been following along on the CPUFriend Github and attempting to create my own DataProvider just to know how. Any tips are welcome.

Stuck here...

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 9.28.24 AM.png

Aha! Testing.

Code:
\sh ResourceConverter.sh --kext /Users/USERNAME/Desktop/Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61.plist

Ok, I've learned how to make my own CPUFriendDataProvdier.kext. Fun stuff, thanks for letting me chat with myself here.

In Big Sur all is well with iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 vectors. However in Monterey HT remains disabled. I'm reading back through the thread but I must have missed something. Can someone please advise?

Last edited:
@NorthAmTransAm - Hi, I've come across this Lilu plugin/kext in my Hackintosh travels:

I don't know if this would let you enable HT in Monterey - it looks promising though.

@NorthAmTransAm - Hi, I've come across this Lilu plugin/kext in my Hackintosh travels:

I don't know if this would let you enable HT in Monterey - it looks promising though.

Interesting. Are you using this along side CPUFriend+DataProvider?

Strange, I tried it and got various scores, and now I cant get back to P+E+HT.

Pro Tip: Keep commas out of your kext names.

Last edited:
@NorthAmTransAm - Hi, yes, I'm currently using it alongside CPUFriend & DataProvider.

However, I only setup my new Alder Lake system just over a week ago (a motherboard and CPU swap), so I haven't had much time for testing yet - I'm still in the tweaking phase :)

I might try and get some Geekbench scores - with and without this kext installed - once I have the time. I'd be interested if you gather any further observations from using it :thumbup:

@NorthAmTransAm - Hi, yes, I'm currently using it alongside CPUFriend & DataProvider.

However, I only setup my new Alder Lake system just over a week ago (a motherboard and CPU swap), so I haven't had much time for testing yet - I'm still in the tweaking phase :)

I might try and get some Geekbench scores - with and without this kext installed - once I have the time. I'd be interested if you gather any further observations from using it :thumbup:
To be honest I'm having trouble with consistency at the moment. I'd like to know how to break it and fix it so I can troubleshoot better down the line.

In Big Sur all is well with iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 vectors. However in Monterey HT remains disabled. I'm reading back through the thread but I must have missed something. Can someone please advise?
I'm getting lost here and across threads as well. What is the issue with "HT disabled" in Monterey compared with Big Sur?
ProvideCurrentCpuInfo declares all threads as cores, so macOS sees a i7-12700K (8P+4C, 2*8+4=20T) as a 20 thread CPU without HT. This should be independent of OS version.

I'm getting lost here and across threads as well. What is the issue with "HT disabled" in Monterey compared with Big Sur?
ProvideCurrentCpuInfo declares all threads as cores, so macOS sees a i7-12700K (8P+4C, 2*8+4=20T) as a 20 thread CPU without HT. This should be independent of OS version.
Thanks for the info on the quirk. Thats pretty helpful.

Sorry about the cross threads btw--I was attempting to spam this one a little less as I've narrowed it down and it started to feel it was a little more specific to my build. To keep things easier I'm working only in Big Sur. I think figuring out my other post will give me all the answers.

The only consistency I can find is that if I mismatch Platform Info UpdateSMBIOSMode and Kernel CustomSMBIOSGuid then DataProvider starts to work. Of course with that mismatch I get no serial and an unknown processor. Im missing something here but I just dont know what. Can you help me figure this one out?

To further explain the mismatch here's an example:

UpdateSMBIOSMode=Create
CustomSMBIOSGuid=Off/unchecked

Geekbench Scores
  • 1438/11440 (matching UpdateSMBIOSMode and CustomSMBIOSGuid)
  • 1804/12801 (mismatching UpdateSMBIOSmode and CustomSMBIOSGuid)

Maybe it helps. Monterey 12.3.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    182.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 2.png
    2.png
    349.2 KB · Views: 77
Maybe it helps. Monterey 12.3.
What does Intel Power Gadget say your max is? When I trip up CustomGuid, mine reads 4.9-5.0. When I have it all correct, it’s 3.6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back