Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

I didn't notice this ever being posted on this thread, but I am not a careful reader.
if it is a repeat, please delete...

Dortania - Intel Z690 compatibility with macOS. Jan 9, 2022

Last edited:
I didn't notice this ever being posted on this thread, but I am not a carefule reader.

Good morning!

MaLd0N confirmed on InsanelyMac that Clover 5144 enables Alder Lake builds with P+HT+E. Incidentally, he also reported that the chipset H610 works as a hackintosh (there was not much doubt, but it's good to know).

Long-time Clover users need not pester they have to learn OpenCore to make the jump to Alder Lake… ;)
Clover has better backward compatibility. This is important when you have an older system and want to jump to the newest.

Are you satisfied with the performance of GIGABYTE Z690 GAMING X? Have you considered buying the GIGABYTE Z690 UD?
I tried the Z690 UD
The VRM suck badly. I even ran a 12500 and it used 120w. While z690m -p from Asus at the same price uses 100. A 20% difference on such a low load would mean much more on high power CPUs.
Tested with LLC as Intel standard, running Cinebench r15 with same setup, same final score (within margin of error) no under volt or anything else applied.

I didn't notice this ever being posted on this thread, but I am not a careful reader.

What is that? These blokes must be pretty new, never heard of them...
What do they know about hackintosh? Probably next to nothing

(i'm being sarcastic, come on really?)

Hey,

Do you encounter weird noises coming from motherboard area on Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X? I also have F6 BIOS version and since then some weird noises occur. I've disabled C1E CPU State and noises disappeared but ONLY ON WINDOWS (?). In hackintosh it is all back, any idea?
In Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X no, but in in Gigabyte Z690 UD squeaked coils.

(i'm being sarcastic, come on really?)

What has always stood out to me is edge of a rift between the core hackintosh Russians and TonyMacx86.

I found this forum before InsanelyMac — around 2014 and noted I didn't participate till last year. The "beasts" and Clover helped me get a Brix on Mojave back in the day, but I felt edgy about it because I couldn't grok any of the gears that were making it work and lots of juju. Last year a big pile of 10900 kit fell into my lap and I determined to replace a venerable 2008 Mac Pro which I'd been nursing along with help of MacRumors "unsupported" brainiacs. My determination has waned and I still use the Mac Pro because its been so damn trusty. I love it. My hack may never be complete because of many... challenges... It took on a life of its own. The Clover-beast Brix keeps on truckin'.

My 10900 kit coincided with the arrival of Dortania Guide for OC and OCLP for Unsupported. OC it won me over because it's self-contained wrt macOS system, and I could start to see pieces of puzzle and the thinking behind the approach. The Dortania Guide was a gift to my thinking.

Anywayz, as I've perused the Gits I found that something must have glitched back in the day re TonyMacx86 and key contributors. I've hung out here because it's a good crowd and the high activity that's helpful to all comers.

I see nothing wrong at all with InsanelyMac. I just ended up hanging out here. It's the spirit of community that matters, and for me it works here.

Buuut... It's notable that the core developers don't recognize this joint. Maybe it doesn't even matter. I just have idle curiosity about how these communities collaborate and evolve.

At times I have seriously speculated as to whether Apple seeds some of this work just to provide its old guard of highly invested users an outlet as they batten down their hatches. *** I HAVE ABSOLUTELY ZERO CONFIDENCE IN THIS SPECULATION WHICH I AM MAKING UP IT IS LITERALLY BASELESS (and there's no double meaning). But my mind wanders around such ideas in the hope that Apple isn't the corporate tomb we can all see that it really is.

How do I put this: There was a time when Apple customers genuinely believed that the Mac was a new commons, in a way very different from classical Silicon Valley nerdism. This zeitgeist was a captured by Stewart Brand and his Whole Earth Catalog in the early 70s, and it stands in proud contrast to venture capital Ayn Rand John Galt tech libertarianism, because it recognizes that the spirit of making things to energize others guided by something like the Platonic ideas is one of life's great satisfactions and rewards. As Apple succumbed to inevitable greed, it left many of us disillusioned. But in me the faith endures. It's this spirit that the Mac user matters as a creator that energizes me and its great to see a community holding on to Mac in such spirit. Even as Apple's weight bears down on our tiny shoulders.

So wrt any old rift in the hackintosh community, my idea of stakes is not claims to ownership and residual rights, it's to be recognized and liked for doing great work, where the measure of 'great' is that someone else likes your work, and uses your work to do something they couldn't or wouldn't have done otherwise. This feels like a community with high stakes.

"Good night America and God bless you!"

Last edited:
What has always stood out to me is edge of a rift between the core hackintosh Russians and TonyMacx86.
Did you miss this visit from Vitaly back in December ? What is this rift you talk about ?

Did you miss this visit from Vitaly back in December ? What is this rift you talk about ?

I ran into history on web, but it's not something I cataloged.

Here is a dropping. Maybe tonymacx86 is missing from this list for no reason?

Dortania - Forums

Maybe this list doesn't even mean anything because it's been lost to the ether, honesty idk

Here is a dropping. Maybe tonymacx86 is missing from this list for no reason?
Dortania isn't run by Russian Developers. The person who started that is a Canadian. A 21 year old college student.

Mykola has done a great job there, everything is well documented and useful. I believe the reason this community is left off that list is due to Mykola's affiliation with some people at the Red.dit hackintosh site. They tend to dislike what we do here. Not sure why so many of them come here for help. Maybe you could contact him and find out exactly why.

Last edited:
Back