Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Most likely. We haven't had report of a Z690 board which would not eventually boot macOS, and there have already been two success reports with B660. You're welcome to pick up the generic EFI at page 192, adapt as needed and try.
Please let us know how it works—or launch a support thread if needed.
Thank You :) i try with that

Ok, I am a colossal idiot. My hack was working totally perfectly. Boot into Windows; I wasn't paying attention in Diskpart, and I accidentally cleaned my OpenCore bootable USB drive (intended a different drive, duh me). Fortunately, I had backed up the SMBIOS/UUID/etc. info. So not the end of the world. But I did not have a backup yet of the entire drive itself. So currently recreating it.

Having a problem and this is a first for any hack I've done.. any idea what is causing this? Boot stops every time on those ACPI warnings, roughly the same place, never gets past it. Never seen this before :D

Any obvious ideas?

P.S. At the advice given earlier, I'm taking notes and screenshots to do a guide on this build. AsRock z690 Extreme 6E, i9-12900K.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 69
Bad luck! First mandate of hackintosher is copying the work done!

Did you try the : ResizeAppleGpuBars = 0 under Booter>Quirks ?

Duh again, that was it.. Ty!

Is there a Z690 Mini-ITX board that people are happy with?

Thanks.

is there a Z690 Mini-ITX board that people are happy with?

thanks
I'm using an Asus Z690-I Gaming WiFi board, changed out the onboard WiFi/ Bluetooth card and everything works including Thunderbolt Hot Plug. (At least with the external hard drives and hub I have.) The MSI Unify is another possible contender and Gigabyte has boards as well with DDR4 and DDR5 models available. Not seen any glowing reviews of those yet.

My current i7-6700K build has been working flawlessly for the last 5 years, I only had to replace the original 2x GTX980 TI SLI by a Vega 64 GPU when I upgraded to Mojave. A week ago, I switched from Clover to Opencore 0.7.7 and went from Catalina to Big Sur, following the excellent Dortania guide.

Considering a hardware upgrade, I fell onto this thread. I spent almost two days reading it from the beginning. Really amazing how it evolved from serious doubts about the possibility of using Alder Lake for Mac OS to huge success. Big thumbs up to all of you, I’m really impressed!

You guys convinced me that Alder Lake was the way to go. This will be my main computer used for software development (C, C++ and Javascript), electronics design and simulation, 3D modelling for printing or CNC cutting. (Almost) no gaming. Multi-threading performance is more important than single core.

The price difference between 12700K and 12900K and between DDR4 and decent DDR5 RAM (5600 CL36) is similar, about 200€/$. For this kind of usage, what do you think is best? 12700K with DDR5 or 12900K with DDR4?

I will re-use the following:
  • Vega 64
  • NVMe 500GB Samsung 950 Pro (Windows 10 partition, almost never use it)
  • NVMe 2TB 970 EVO Plus (now my main drive but will be used as data/backup drive due to issues with Monterey)
  • 2TB 860 EVO SATA drive for Time Machine
  • USB iTrack Solo for microphone input
  • ASUS Xonar U7 MKII USB audio interface
  • PCIe Fenvi T919
  • Initially a BeQuiet PRO 2 CPU air cooler. But I will later re-install my custom water cooling which was removed when I switched to the Vega 64. (I have the water block for the Vega but never found the time to re-install the water cooling.)

I will buy:
  • Platinum 850W PSU (e.g. Seasonic PRIME TX 850)
  • WD SN850 1TB as main drive
  • MoBo
  • CPU
  • RAM
  • CPU water block

Any suggestions for Mobo? (I don’t need WiFi; I don’t care about audio, 4x M.2 NVME slots.)
12700K and DDR5 or 12900K and DDR4?
I am more interested in reliability than raw performance (no overclocking).

Last edited:
You guys convinced me that Alder Lake was the way to go. This will be my main computer used for software development (C, C++ and Javascript), electronics design and simulation, 3D modelling for printing or CNC cutting. (Almost) no gaming. Multi-threading performance is more important than single core.

The price difference between 12700k and 12900k and between DDR4 and decent DDR5 RAM (5600 CL36) is similar, about 200€/$. For this kind of usage, what do you think is best? 12700k with DDR5 or 12900k with DDR4?

[…]

Any suggestions for Mobo? (don’t need WiFi, don’t care about audio, 4x M.2 NVME slots)
12700k and DDR5 or 12900k and DDR4?
12900K and DDR5?

Joke aside, "multi-threading", "reliability" and the many NVMe slots are also potential pointers towards HEDT platforms (C422/iMacPro1,1; C621/MacPro7,1). What most benefits your workload?
Lots of RAM? (compilers definitely loves that, and the way to get lots of RAM for cheap is to go RDIMM)
Low latency? (probably not)
RAM bandwidth? (that would be a pointer towards DDR5, video being the workload which most benefits from DDR5 for now)
High clocks? (Alder Lake)
High core count? (12900 over 12700; Xeons)

My current 6700k build has been working flawlessly for the last 5 years, I only had to replace the original 2xGTX980 TI SLI by a Vega 64 GPU when I upgraded to Mojave. A week ago, I switched from Clover to Opencore 0.7.7 and went from Catalina to Big Sur, following the excellent Dortania guide.

Considering a hardware upgrade, I fell onto this thread. I spent almost two days reading it from the beginning. Really amazing how it evolved from serious doubts about the possibility of using Alder Lake for Mac OS to huge success. Big thumbs up to all of you, I’m really impressed!

The price difference between 12700k and 12900k and between DDR4 and decent DDR5 RAM (5600 CL36) is similar, about 200€/$. For this kind of usage, what do you think is best? 12700k with DDR5 or 12900k with DDR4?

I will re-use the following:
  • Vega 64
  • NVMe 500Gb Samsung 950 Pro (Windows 10 partition, almost never use it)
  • NVMe 2Tb 970 EVO Plus (now my main drive but will be used as data/backup drive due to issues with Monterey)
  • 2Tb 860 EVO SATA drive for Time Machine
  • USB iTrack Solo for microphone input
  • ASUS Xonar U7 MKII USB audio interface
  • PCIe Fenvi T919
  • Initially a BeQuiet PRO 2 CPU air cooler but I will later re-install my custom water cooling which was removed when I switched to the Vega 64 (I have the water block for the Vega but never found the time to re-install the water cooling)

I will buy:
  • Platinum 850W PSU (e.g. Seasonic PRIME TX 850)
  • WD SN850 1Tb as main drive
  • MoBo
  • CPU
  • RAM
  • CPU water block

Any suggestions for Mobo? (don’t need WiFi, don’t care about audio, 4x M.2 NVME slots)
12700k and DDR5 or 12900k and DDR4?
I support your question. Similar goals and objectives. I am considering two options GIGABYTE Z690 UD and GIGABYTE Z690 GAMING X. In the future, Thunderbolt Card installation is possible. The motherboard will be purchased in the next few days.

Clover 5144
It was already possible to hack Alder Lake using Clover, using SSDT-CPUR-Z690 or SSDT-PLUG-ALT, and disabling either E-cores or hyperthreading in BIOS. The latest release of Clover integrates ProvideCurrentCpuInfo, and should be able to use all cores and threads, like OpenCore 0.7.7.
Are there long-time Clover users here willing to try and report?

Back