Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Benchmark with all 3 situation. Left without CpuTopologySync.kext, middle with CpuTopologySync.kext, right with CpuTopologySync.kext and -ctssmt.
Until new findings I will stay without.
Cinebench score differences are interesting because I thought full-load scores will be almost same.

I found another interesting performance diffrences.
I ran Windows 11 VM on this Hackintosh with VMware Fusion 12 Player in different host core/thread configuraions and guest vCPU configurations. I think limited vCPU count is good indicator for thread allocation.

I executed the Windows version of Geekbench 5 on the VM. I attached the result table.
8P+HT means E-Cores disabled, 8P+8E means HT disabled, and 8P+8E+HT means all features are enabled. And score texts indicated by bold are provided by the CpuTopologySync.kext. 8c24t is provided by -ctssmt boot-arg.
VM is run in different guest vCPU configurations, 8v/12v/16v.

10,689 is scored in 8vcpu with 8P+HT configuration, probably it's ideal 8vcpu performance. 24c24t and 16c24t configurations got lower scores than this, but 8c24t got equivalent score, 10,641.
In 12vcpu, 16c24t configuration got lower score than 24c24t, but 8c24t still got almost same score as 8P+HT. I think 3-way SMT spoofing working well as I expected.

This spoofing setting is strange topology, but I hope to make it working steadily.

( I forgot to take some screenshots, so the table and other Geekbench 5 screenshots show little different score. )

Attachments

• vm scores.png
    vm scores.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 12vcpu-24c24t.png
    12vcpu-24c24t.png
    193.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 12vcpu-16c24t.png
    12vcpu-16c24t.png
    192.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 12vcpu-8c24t.png
    12vcpu-8c24t.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Cinebench score differences are interesting because I thought full-load scores will be almost same.

I found another interesting performance diffrences.
I ran Windows 11 VM on this Hackintosh with VMware Fusion 12 Player in different host core/thread configuraions and guest vCPU configurations. I think limited vCPU count is good indicator for thread allocation.

I executed the Windows version of Geekbench 5 on the VM. I attached the result table.
8P+HT means E-Cores disabled, 8P+8E means HT disabled, and 8P+8E+HT means all features are enabled. And score texts indicated by bold are provided by the CpuTopologySync.kext. 8c24t is provided by -ctssmt boot-arg.
VM is run in different guest vCPU configurations, 8v/12v/16v.

10,689 is scored in 8vcpu with 8P+HT configuration, probably it's ideal 8vcpu performance. 24c24t and 16c24t configurations got lower scores than this, but 8c24t got equivalent score, 10,641.
In 12vcpu, 16c24t configuration got lower score than 24c24t, but 8c24t still got almost same score as 8P+HT. I think 3-way SMT spoofing working well as I expected.

This spoofing setting is strange topology, but I hope to make it working steadily.

( I forgot to take some screenshots, so the table and other Geekbench 5 screenshots show little different score. )
My benchmark results in Windows are almost the same like in Hack. Even lower on some. R23 has 1000 points more on Windows.

Attachments

• WindowsR23.png
    WindowsR23.png
    2 MB · Views: 79
What motherboard are you using? Probably time to update your signature but I’m curious.

Anyone have the setup instructions for the Asus Z690 Prime P-D4 with an I9 12900k? I cloned 2 drives, 1 an SSD and 1 an NVMe. I got both of them to work but after 15 minutes the Kernel panicked and froze. I updated the MB BIOS to latest firmware. I used both clover and Opencore. I think I got lost somewhere in the BIOS Settings or maybe this USB remapping. Any Insights?

Anyone have the setup instructions for the Asus Z690 Prime P-D4 with an I9 12900k? I cloned 2 drives, 1 an SSD and 1 an NVMe. I got both of them to work but after 15 minutes the Kernel panicked and froze. I updated the MB BIOS to latest firmware. I used both clover and OpenCore. I think I got lost somewhere in the BIOS Settings or maybe this USB remapping. Any Insights?
Also I didn't Specify it was MacOS Monterey 12.1 I primarily use it for Video Production on Final Cut Pro X.

Are you speaking with me?
I was asking @zgamer2621 but his posts have been removed by the administrators. I was asking because he has an Asus board, which I also have, but I’m sure it’s a different model. I’m just waiting for RAM to deliver before I can join the fun.

I’ve been following this thread since it’s inception and have read all your posts, nice work and please keep contributing here!

Hi, what EFI did you use for your build ?
I currently plan to use:

Gigabyte GA-Z690 GAMING-X DDR4
Intel i7 12700KF
G-Skill 32GB TridentZ Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZN CL16-16-16-36
Sapphire Pulse RX570 8GB
WD 850N 1TB PCIe 4.0 (MacOS)
Samsung PM9A1 PCIe 4.0 512GB (WIN11) - already running...
Titan Ridge 2.0 TB card - connected with 5-pin connector (pain in the ass to get this working under Win11, had to use the last slot at the bottom)
IEE1394 PCIE 4x card (TI Chipset)
Alphacool Eisbaer 280 AIO

Would be extremely nice if you'd be willing to share your configuration, as getting this even to work under Win11 was not very funny at all...
What I can say so far: this config is a beast, which is barely to tame with an AIO in a non-overclocked setup. (82°C) after 30 minute loop in Cinebench R23.
(Un)Fortunately I did somewhat win the silicon lottery and had this up to 5.3 single and 5.2 GHz all core, but ran into thermal throttling issues after 3 minutes even with the AIO cooler. This baby sucked up close to 300 Watts !
Guess I would have to go with a custom loop, if I'd be willing to go for it...
EFI based on the latest OC 0.77 from Caseysj, converted on Z690 Gaming X. You must do USB ports, because this is an individual business of every user.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    44.2 MB · Views: 110
Hi, I just got a Asus Prime Z690m-Plus D4 motherboard, and I would like to run macOSX after reading about E cores and threading have to be disabled in order to boot with OpenCore. Also, would this EFI work for a board like mine?
I have a 12700K and a R9 390 88GB.
Hello. I plan to build on the basis of the Asus Prime Z690m-Plus D4 (the choice is due to the Matx case), I noticed that you and @smoothmove have such motherboards, did you manage to get E cores? it's just that they wrote somewhere on the forum, and I saw a video on YouTube that they start, but it's not clear if they start on this motherboard (.Asus Prime Z690m-Plus D4), I wrote to the creator of the video, he asked for money for advice. And in the Russian community I have not found people with similar motherboards And please tell me how many geekbench 5 accounts you have. I apologize if I wrote something wrong, I am from Russia, and when writing this text I used a Google translator.

Hello. I plan to build on the basis of the Asus Prime Z690m-Plus D4 (the choice is due to the Matx case), I noticed that you and @smoothmove have such motherboards, did you manage to get E cores? it's just that they wrote somewhere on the forum, and I saw a video on YouTube that they start, but it's not clear if they start on this motherboard (.Asus Prime Z690m-Plus D4), I wrote to the creator of the video, he asked for money for advice. And in the Russian community I have not found people with similar motherboards And please tell me how many geekbench 5 accounts you have. I apologize if I wrote something wrong, I am from Russia, and when writing this text I used a Google translator.
I have the E cores OFF. Since it is working, I just use it and haven't tried to play with the OpenCore settings. Others have gotten the E cores to work with other systems. The Z690m-plus is a good board and haven't had any issues with it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 11.16.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 11.16.01 AM.png
    86.3 KB · Views: 67
Back