Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Hi, I just got a asus prime z690m-plus d4 motherboard and I would like to run mac os x after reading about ecores and threading have to be disabled in order to boot with opencore, also would this efi work for a board like mine?
I have a 12700k and a r9 390 8gb.
Hi you don't need to turn anything off anymore, there is a new way of @vandroiy

Read this CaseySJ's Intel Alder Lake

BTW: Big Thx to @CaseySJ's

A quick question: I'm currently running X299 + 9980XE + 6800 XT which is basically perfect golden,
Short answer then: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!".
I am interested in the upcoming Mac Mini. But I'm tempted to stick with hacks due to Windows compatibility and brute performances (at least until macOS will run on X86 and AMD GPUs). Since things went pretty far from my Skylake X chip, and in my case I would prefer single core performance instead of multi (my needs changed lately :p ), do you think I should stay with Skylake X or worth it to go on? and in case, Alder Lake or Zen 3?
Ryzen has compatibility issues with many significant software under macOS.
Alder Lake has the highest single core performance, but the crown for multicore performance still belongs to older CPUs, by virtue of just having more cores. (I guess the top would go either to a dual Xeon Scalable, say 2*Gold 6246R or 2*Gold 6346 for 2*16C/32T, or to a Xeon W-3365/Platinum 8362 for 32C/64T in a single socket). What is the need for a more powerful machine—as opposed to the the desire of the latest and supposedly greatest?

I created a Github repo for my Z690I Hack.

I also created a small Github action that validates the config.plist xml syntax.

you can see it works by 2 PRs, one fails and the other passes

do you think we can make the Github action more capable? all the sanity checkers iv'e seen are not supporting the latest versions, understandable as its hard to keep up and maintain those

Short answer then: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!".

Ryzen has compatibility issues with many significant softwares under macOS.
Alder Lake has the highest single core performance, but the crown for multicore performance still belongs to older CPUs, by virtue of just having more cores (I guess the top would go either to a dual Xeon Scalable, say 2*Gold 6246R or 2*Gold 6346 for 2*16C/32T, or to a Xeon W-3365/Platinum 8362 for 32C/64T in a single socket). What is the need for a more powerful machine—as opposed to the the desire of the latest and supposedly greatest?
Well, no need for more performances just desire to stay on top you got the point. Anyway, I use this system for office work (mail / office / web) on macOS and retro gaming / emulators on windows. I know this machine is plenty fast for these things, it’s just passion. To say, my macOS Monterey is installed on an Intel Optane 905p

Well, no need for more performances just desire to stay on top you got the point. Anyway, I use this system for office work (mail / office / web) on macOS and retro gaming / emulators on windows. I know this machine is plenty fast for these things, it’s just passion. To say, my macOS Monterey is installed on an Intel Optane 905p
I completely understand your motivation. Alder Lake single core performance is unbeaten at this time and a system based around Z690 and DDR4 is a worthy upgrade. If you have a MicroCenter nearby, you’ll find the lowest price on Alder Lake CPUs.
  • US$229 for i5-12600K
  • US$299 for i7-12700K
  • US$549 for i9-12900k

I completely understand your motivation. Alder Lake single core performance is unbeaten at this time and a system based around Z690 and DDR4 is a worthy upgrade. If you have a MicroCenter nearby, you’ll find the lowest price on Alder Lake CPUs.
  • US$229 for i5-12600K
  • US$299 for i7-12700K
  • US$549 for i9-12900k
Unfortunately I'm in Italy and there's no MicroCenter here ihihih, but it should be easy to buy a CPU online. Could you quickly summarize hassles in building a Monterey EFI for Alder Lake at this point? What doesn't work even with a well built EFI? Mine is a golden build, everything is flawless, it's just like a real mac to my understanding. ahahah

Every few months I check in around here and seems we are stalled on the safe bet as z490 and while I can find a few of those, it seems like the point of hackintosh is rapidly losing its value. Used to be that you could build a more powerful rig for far less. Unless someone is doing 4K encoding, which Im not yet, I just can't justify why I would spend money to build a new rig vs Apple silicon. Besides that most chips have encoders built in anyway. Other than the ability to run Vmware and Win 10 to open random Publisher files, Im not compelled to upgrade and Im still sweating my Gigabyte Z87 + Haswell 4770k + RX580. With a new SSD and fresh install its still running great after almost 9 years. Me thinks the days of hackintosh are numbered except for those that just insist on proving they can do it, or need serious horsepower for specialized work like encoding massive files with super high resolution professionally. I just dont see the need to spend 1-2k on a new rig so that Office, Slack or Firefox loads slightly, imperceivably faster. Maybe Im just getting older and more boring.

Every few months I check in around here and seems we are stalled on the safe bet as z490 and while I can find a few of those, it seems like the point of hackintosh is rapidly losing its value. Used to be that you could build a more powerful rig for far less. Unless someone is doing 4K encoding, which Im not yet, I just can't justify why I would spend money to build a new rig vs Apple silicon. Besides that most chips have encoders built in anyway. Other than the ability to run Vmware and Win 10 to open random Publisher files, Im still sweating my Gigabyte Z87 + Haswell 4770k + RX580. With a new SSD and fresh install its still running great after almost 9 years. Me thinks the days of hackintosh are numbered except for those that just insist on proving they can do it, or need serious horsepower for specialized work like encoding massive files with super high resolution professionally. I just dont see the need to spend 1-2k on a new rig so that Office, Slack or Firefox loads slightly, imperceivably faster. Maybe Im just getting older and more boring.
Ahahahah no no mate... you're just a lot more thoughtful than me!

Every few months I check in around here and seems we are stalled on the safe bet as z490 and while I can find a few of those, it seems like the point of hackintosh is rapidly losing its value. Used to be that you could build a more powerful rig for far less. Unless someone is doing 4K encoding, which Im not yet, I just can't justify why I would spend money to build a new rig vs Apple silicon. Besides that most chips have encoders built in anyway. Other than the ability to run Vmware and Win 10 to open random Publisher files, Im not compelled to upgrade and Im still sweating my Gigabyte Z87 + Haswell 4770k + RX580. With a new SSD and fresh install its still running great after almost 9 years. Me thinks the days of hackintosh are numbered except for those that just insist on proving they can do it, or need serious horsepower for specialized work like encoding massive files with super high resolution professionally. I just dont see the need to spend 1-2k on a new rig so that Office, Slack or Firefox loads slightly, imperceivably faster. Maybe Im just getting older and more boring.
If I won Himalaya, why go to the moon!?

Because exist!

Unfortunately I'm in Italy and there's no microcenter here ihihih but it should be easy to buy a CPU online. Could you quickly summarize hassles in building a Monterey EFI for Alder Lake at this point? what doesn't work even with a well built EFI? Mine is a golden build, everything is flawless, it's just like a real mac to my understanding ahahah

Coming from X299 I know the hassles of setting up an EFI lol but luckily OC and my BASE-EFIs definitely made it easier. I attempted to hack my Alder lake gaming build for fun and was surprised how easy it was to boot using CaseySJ’s EFI. One thing I noticed is that there aren’t any noticeable EFI differences across manufacturers (at least gigabyte and asus) Only major change was to make my own usb for my board but that was about it. It’s definitely snappier than my X299 build and worked well for the most part for the two-three days I missed around with it.

No major quirks as far as I could tell besides sleep but that is due to using Corsair products and both internal usb 2 ports sharing a hub.

Back