Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

I am thinking about ordering a build with
  • Intel Core i9 12900KF Processor $637 USD
  • MSI Pro Z690-A D5 $257 USD
  • ADATA XPG Lancer DDR5 32GB (2*16GB) 5200MHZ $279 USD
The motherboard and RAM are relatively inexpensive. I chose that motherboard as it has 4 M.2 slots and 6 SATA ports. The only other motherboard in this price range was the ASUS Z690-P only had 4 SATA and 3 M.2 and I need all the ports I can get. I thought I may as well get DDR5 and after looking at all the options this RAM doesn't seem overly expensive and is actually quite up there being CL38 5200MHz. The other one I was looking at was the Kingston HyperX beast but it is nearly $100 more. All the highest end kits are sold out. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

I am thinking about ordering a build with
  • Intel Core i9 12900KF Processor $637 USD
  • MSI Pro Z690-A D5 $257 USD
  • ADATA XPG Lancer DDR5 32GB (2*16GB) 5200MHZ $279 USD
The motherboard and RAM are relatively inexpensive. I chose that motherboard as it has 4 M.2 slots and 6 SATA ports. The only other motherboard in this price range was the ASUS Z690-P only had 4 SATA and 3 M.2 and I need all the ports I can get. I thought I may as well get DDR5 and after lookin0MHz. The other one I was looking at was the Kingston HyperX beast but it is nearly $100 more. All the highest end kits are sold out. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference.g at all the options this RAM doesn't seem overly expensive and is actually quite up there being CL38 520
I'm using MSI Pro Z690-A D4 about one month.
Good:
- price;
- speed;
- number of slots and ports.
Bad:
- BIOS, very unusable, a lot of bugs;
- second M.2 slot is under first video slot, it's impossible to insert disk without removing my RX560 (double-size card).

The ASUS Z690-P does look nice but I've been using a Mini-ITX motherboard with 4 SATA ports for the past year and it's just not enough for me. Just to hear your motherboard is working even with those caveats is enough to seal the deal.

After all that the store didn't actually have the motherboard or DDR5 memory in stock (said it would arrive by the end of next week) so I cancelled the order and will be holding off for now.

Last edited:
Wake works now!!!

I had an instant wake problem (login-screen re-appears in 1 minute after starting sleep when a USB device is connected to one of type-A ports.) in my ASRock Z690 Steel Legend build, and fixed it by mapping USB ports with UsbConnector of external or type-C (255 or 9) instead of type-A (2 or 3) (0 or 3).

This enables almost perfect sleep behavior: CPU fan stops for tens of minutes, and Bluetooth input-devices can wake it up. Would you tell me your method as it is likely applicable to other Z690 products made by ASRock.

Edit: corrected the key value for USB 2.0 type-A.

Last edited:
This enables almost perfect sleep behavior: CPU fan stops for tens of minutes, and Bluetooth input-devices can wake it up. Would you tell me your method as it is likely applicable to other Z690 products made by ASRock.

Looking through your thread it appears the Steel Legend board doesn't use an internal USB hub the way the Pro RS board does. My old Z390 system was a Steel Legend, great boards.

At this point my Z690 Pro RS is running with just the 0.7 EFI from this thread and a custom USB map kext (from the Dortania manual map guide). The board only has 1 XHCI controller and everything is mapped as either 0 for HS only ports or 3 for HS/SS ports. The BT USB header from my T919 is plugged straight into the board. Both internal USB 2 headers route through a hub (HS06, marked as 0 at the moment).

I had an instant wake problem (login-screen re-appears in 1 minute after starting sleep when a USB device is connected to one of type-A ports.) in my ASRock Z690 Steel Legend build, and fixed it by mapping USB ports with UsbConnector of external or type-C (255 or 9) instead of type-A (2 or 3).

This fixes my wake issues!
just disabled SSDT-GPRW.aml and sleep seems to work!

Thanks

I'm trying to install Monterey on a MSI Pro Z690-A WiFi DDR4 with i7-12700K. I've created a Monterey installation USB with EFI folder v0.7 by etorix. I got to the point where MacOS displayed a grey screen with mouse pointer and then stuck there. I could move my mouse pointer, so the system hasn't crashed. I don't know why it didn't continue to load the GUI interface. Will appreciate for any input.

BY THE WAY, I'm using a USB 3.0 Flash Drive on a USB 2.0 port. Will that be a problem? I don't have any USB 2.0 Flash Drive.

Last edited:
I'm trying to install Monterey on a MSI Pro Z690-A WiFi DDR4 with i7-12700K. I've created a Monterey installation USB with EFI folder v0.7 by etorix. I got to the point where MacOS displayed a grey screen with mouse pointer and then stuck there. I could move my mouse pointer, so the system hasn't crashed. I don't know why it didn't continue to load the GUI interface. Will appreciate for any input.

BY THE WAY, I'm using a USB 3.0 Flash Drive on a USB 2.0 port. Will that be a problem? I don't have any USB 2.0 Flash Drive.
What about your GPU? Try add -v to boot-args.

What about your GPU? Try add -v to boot-args.
I did put the -v boot option. I didn't see any strange message upon booting up. Everything seemed normal until installer runs and I only got a grey screen with a mouse pointer. Checked the opencore bootlog and didn't see anything strange.

I'm using RX580 and I removed the "agdpmod=pikera" option. I also tried the EFI folder from rushstrike @post #1175, but same result. I'm running out of ideas.

Back