Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Do we agree that AppleXcpmForceBoost is not needed when a proper CPUDataProvider is present?
I'm getting the same geekbench using AppleXcpmForceBoost as I get in windows with my 13900K. Temps are around ~30C at idle. What is the advantage to using CPUDataProvide kext?

Nope, it doesn't resolve the issue, at least not on Z690M DS3H, it actually entroduces another issue: now the system doesn't seem to be able to go to sleep normally at all, the only way to put it to sleep is with "pmset sleepnow"

View attachment 560143
It works on Z690 GAMING X DDR4, sleep works well for a couple of circles now
1671456416817.png

I'm a bit confused trying to go through all of the long history of this thread.

Is there some known combination of motherboard and graphics card anyone has had good results with along with a i9-12900K?

Is there some known combination of motherboard and graphics card anyone has had good results with along with a i9-12900K?
GPU: Any supported Polaris, Vega, Navi (NOT RX6700).
Motherboard: All tested Z690 motherboard were found to work well with Alder Lake; issues are now creeping in with Z790 and BIOS revisions which add support for Raptor Lake, as manufacturers begin to diverge from Intel's reference implementation (Gigabyte is the main offender for now).

If you're buying new for an Alder Lake build, go for any Z690 board other than Gigabyte (Asus, AsRock, MSI…) and, if possible, stay with the pre-Raptor Lake BIOS. Check for your prospective motherboard in the User Builds and Golden Build threads.
Don't bother with on-board Maple Ridge. If Thunderbolt is needed, the best solution is a Gigabyte Titan Ridge card on a motherboard with a 5-pin header.

But above all: Consider an Apple Silicon Mac instead.

GPU: Any supported Polaris, Vega, Navi (NOT RX6700).
Motherboard: All tested Z690 motherboard were found to work well with Alder Lake; issues are now creeping in with Z790 and BIOS revisions which add support for Raptor Lake, as manufacturers begin to diverge from Intel's reference implementation (Gigabyte is the main offender for now).

If you're buying new for an Alder Lake build, go for any Z690 board other than Gigabyte (Asus, AsRock, MSI…) and, if possible, stay with the pre-Raptor Lake BIOS. Check for your prospective motherboard in the User Builds and Golden Build threads.
Don't bother with on-board Maple Ridge. If Thunderbolt is needed, the best solution is a Gigabyte Titan Ridge card on a motherboard with a 5-pin header.

Thanks for the reply!

From what I had gleaned already, it did seem that Thunderbolt was a challenge in many cases. So, give up on getting any use out of on-board Thunderbolt connectors? How about just USB-C support? Should that work OK? (I'm considering an ASUS ProArt Z690-Creator which has two on-board Thunderbolt 4 ports.)

But above all: Consider an Apple Silicon Mac instead.

I've got an M2 laptop, and I love it. But I'd like to also have a specifically Intel set-up as well, one that runs better than my current 2020 i9 iMac.

Ironically, one issue I'm hoping to solve is how well Parallels runs on that iMac -- which is terrible when I need nested virtualization for Docker. So, yes, I'm trying to build a PC that will run macOS that will also run Windows, but inside a VM. Nested virtualization isn't supported for Apple Silicon yet, and even if it were, there's still some Windows stuff I need that won't run on ARM for now.

Worst case, if a Hackintosh setup doesn't work as well as I'd like, I'll just run two computers side-by-side instead of having an integrated environment. Since the Windows machine often needs to be connected to a VPN, however, that screws up connecting Mac-to-PC via Remote Desktop or VNC for doing things like easy copy/paste and file sharing between the two environments.

Last edited:
Does anyone having an issue with random reboot after cold boot?

Nope, it doesn't resolve the issue, at least not on Z690M DS3H, it actually introduces another issue: now the system doesn't seem to be able to go to sleep normally at all, the only way to put it to sleep is with "pmset sleepnow"

View attachment 560143

I upgraded BIOS to the exact version you're using and my sleep issues also have resolved.
It was F8 for the Z690 Aero G board. Something to do with the version right before the 13th gen support.

I am super happy about this fix! Been driving me nuts for 3 weeks.

(I'm considering an ASUS ProArt Z690-Creator which has two on-board Thunderbolt 4 ports.)
There's a Golden Build thread for this board, where you should find all information.

For Thunderbolt itself, the recommendation is to use a Gigabyte Titan Ridge card, preferably with a motherboard with a 5-pin header. Do NOT use a gigabyte Z690/Z790 motherboard: Gigabyte has forcefully removed support for Titan Ridge with its latest BIOS.

Last edited:
Back