Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Hi, thanks again for your time

Thanks.
The Thunderbolt SSDT points to the right path. (Made anew with HackinDROM?)
Indeed. I chose the option “Titan Ridge Z690 platform”. I also tried Ori69’s SSDT which he posted a few months ago.

There should only be one of Hfsplus.efi and Openhfsplus.efi. XhciPortLimit quirk should be disabled when using SSDT-UIAC (and it doesn't work anyway with recent versions of macOS) and DisableIOMapper should also be disabled to load AppleVTD and benefit from the custom DMAR table.
Fixed the EFI files and disabled DisableIOMapper.
XhciPortLimit is needed because of the USB ports limit removed, right? But how do I get rid of SSDT-UIAC? Where do I find it?

There are a few disabled SSDT/kext which could be removed altogether.
Yes, I am keeping them for the time being, could be useful for some testing, maybe.

But I do not see an obvious issue with Thunderbolt here.
…right!? As I said, that same EFI folder did work when I used a previous installation.

Also, I was checking IoReg and noticed many entries marked in red; there’s one which keeps growing over time (every few minutes it duplicates) - could these odd entries be indicators of my Z690 system’s issues?

Hopefully @CaseySJ may come and have a look here.
I don’t have much more to try honestly

Hi, thanks again for your time

Indeed. I chose the option “Titan Ridge Z690 platform”. I also tried Ori69’s SSDT which he posted a few months ago.

Fixed the EFI files and disabled DisableIOMapper.
XhciPortLimit is needed because of the USB ports limit removed, right? But how do I get rid of SSDT-UIAC? Where do I find it?

Yes, I am keeping them for the time being, could be useful for some testing, maybe.

…right!? As I said, that same EFI folder did work when I used a previous installation.

Also, I was checking IoReg and noticed many entries marked in red; there’s one which keeps growing over time (every few minutes it duplicates) - could these odd entries be indicators of my Z690 system’s issues?

I don’t have much more to try honestly
Hello @m4rk0,

Let's do the following:
  • Check BIOS and enable VT-d.
  • Use the attached EFI folder, but copy serial numbers into PlatformInfo --> DataHub section of config.plist
You're currently using the USB port map for Z690 Aero G, but this file is not correct for the Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR 4. If you can create a port map diagram, I can modify the SSDT for you.

Creating a port map diagram will take a bit of time and patience. If you're up to it, let me know and I'll describe the steps.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    9.7 MB · Views: 80
Hi @CaseySJ
Thanks a lot for your reply

• Check BIOS and enable VT-d.
  • Use the attached EFI folder, but copy serial numbers into PlatformInfo --> DataHub section of config.plist
VT-d was already enabled, and I did replaced my EFI with yours - may I ask what did you do? I see that you cleared the leftovers, changed CPU type from 3842 to 3841 (if I am not wrong...), changed csr-active-config, disabled trim.
Do you believe there are modifications which can also help the random hiccups I am having? For example, out of the blue, the system gets less and less responsive until when it crashes. Right now, there's no overclock and there is no overheating either.
Is it the same Thunderbolt SSDT which was in my EFI folder? I just remembered I did not hit compile before downloading it...

You're currently using the USB port map for Z690 Aero G, but this file is not correct for the Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR 4. If you can create a port map diagram, I can modify the SSDT for you.
I see. I think I used what I found in the EFI folder of @andyxm715

Creating a port map diagram will take a bit of time and patience. If you're up to it, let me know and I'll describe the steps.
Sure I would put efforts to make it, but I believe I won't be able (if I am able then) to do it before the weekend. I did the terrible

VT-d was already enabled,
The IOReg file you posted earlier does not contain AppleVTD, but now I see the reason why. We simply need to uncheck DisableIOMapper as shown:
Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 12.56.57 PM.png

and I did replaced my EFI with yours - may I ask what did you do? I see that you cleared the leftovers, changed CPU type from 3842 to 3841 (if I am not wrong...), changed csr-active-config, disabled trim.
Yes, these are the primary changes. I also removed UIScale from NVRAM --> Add, and set it to 0 in UEFI --> Output.

Do you believe there are modifications which can also help the random hiccups I am having?
After unchecking DisableIOMapper and rebooting, let's see if the LG UltraProblematic goes back to being LG UltraFine. ;)

For example, out of the blue, the system gets less and less responsive until when it crashes. Right now, there's no overclock and there is no overheating either.
Let's first get the whole EFI folder configured correctly (including USB port map), then see what instabilities remain.

Is it the same Thunderbolt SSDT which was in my EFI folder? I just remembered I did not hit compile before downloading it...
I added HS01 and HS02 to the USB hub at DSB2.RHUB. Previously, only USB 3.x devices would connect to the two USB-C ports on the GC-Titan Ridge. Now USB 2 devices should also connect. Hence, let's try the LG UltraProblematic again.

I see. I think I used what I found in the EFI folder of @andyxm715
Do you have a link to that post? Was that USB map tailored to the Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4?

Sure I would put efforts to make it, but I believe I won't be able (if I am able then) to do it before the weekend. I did the terrible
No problem. Whenever you're ready.

The IOReg file you posted earlier does not contain AppleVTD, but now I see the reason why. We simply need to uncheck DisableIOMapper as shown:
Yes, @etorix pointed it out to me a few posts ago

After unchecking DisableIOMapper and rebooting, let's see if the LG UltraProblematic goes back to being LG UltraFine. ;)
It seems to be waking up quicker now (EDIT: no it’s not), but it is too early to tell. Also, I have limited time to test my Caldigit TS3+ & external TB3 SSD. I will do it.

Let's first get the whole EFI folder configured correctly (including USB port map), then see what instabilities remain.
Casey, I am afraid now we have (a new) issue: is there a chance that with your EFI the fans are NOT controlled anymore by BIOS? They are just stuck. I rebooted the system so many times that now I know when they spin. It was weird to hear so little noise, so I spun Geekbench and, half way, when CPU reaches ~220W of power, there was no fan spinning. Heading to the BIOS to check what's going on...
EDIT: bios is fine, but I do confirm that fans are not temperature controlled anymore

I added HS01 and HS02 to the USB hub at DSB2.RHUB. Previously, only USB 3.x devices would connect to the two USB-C ports on the GC-Titan Ridge. Now USB 2 devices should also connect. Hence, let's try the LG UltraProblematic again.
Ok cool. So whatever I didn't do properly, you fixed it. Thanks.

Do you have a link to that post? Was that USB map tailored to the Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4?
I'll find it as soon as I can

Last edited:
@m4rk0,

The fans aren’t affected by the changes made to OpenCore EFI. I would suggest doing a CMOS Reset and configuring BIOS parameters again.

@m4rk0,

The fans aren’t affected by the changes made to OpenCore EFI. I would suggest doing a CMOS Reset and configuring BIOS parameters again.
Yes, it was enough pulling the power cord for some seconds but it took me a moment before realising it couldn’t affect it. Sorry if I came across I doubted of your work ;)

Edit computer still hangs and needs reset switch. It’s a nightmare

Last edited:
Yes, it was enough pulling the power cord for some seconds but it took me a moment before realising it couldn’t affect it. Sorry if I came across I doubted of your work ;)
Your homework assignment -- whenever you get the time.

** How to Create USB Port Map Diagram **

First we need to disable all existing USB port maps:
Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 2.15.52 PM.png

And we need to uncheck the XhciPortLimit kernel quirk:
Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 2.15.59 PM.png

Now let's discover the USB 2 ports. We start by disabling USB 3.x ports so that only the USB 2 ports are active in the system. We add this boot argument -uia_exclude_ss:
Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 2.20.49 PM.png

Now reboot the system. Your USB keyboard and mouse will continue to work because they are USB 2 devices. When the system restarts, log in and run IORegistryExplorer and scroll (not 'search') down to XHCI section like this:
Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 2.28.58 PM.png

Now let's discover the rear I/O ports using this diagram. It may be convenient to download and print this image.
Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 2.31.10 PM.png

Take your USB mouse or keyboard and connect it to each USB port on this panel one by one. Each time you connect the device, IORegistryExplorer will light it up in GREEN under XHC or XHCI. It will remain green only for a few seconds.

So connect the mouse or keyboard to the top left USB port above. Which HSxx port turns green in IORegistryExplorer? Write down that port name directly on the diagram.

Now move the mouse or keyboard to each of the remaining USB ports and write down their names on the diagram.

Easy, right? :) By the way, based on the IOReg you posted earlier, I believe the 4 black USB 2 ports on left side are all controlled by a single USB 2 hub at HS11.

Now let's look at the on-motherboard ports:
Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 2.31.29 PM.png

Based on the IOReg file you posted earlier, I can see that:
  • HS12 is a 4-port USB 2 hub that controls both of the on-board USB 2 headers.
  • HS13 is RGB Fusion lighting controller.
  • HS14 is on-board Intel Bluetooth.
Does your computer case have a front panel USB-C port? If so, connect a USB-C flash disk to that port and see which HSxx port turns green in IORegistryExplorer. Write down that name on this diagram (or on piece of paper).

Does your computer case have a front panel USB 3 (blue) port? If it has one or two front panel USB 3 ports, connect the keyboard or mouse to each one, one by one, and write down the HSxx port names.

IMPORTANT:
Now move your keyboard and mouse to any of the 4 black USB ports on left side of rear IO panel.

Now we're done with USB 2 and we must move to USB 3. The only change we need to make is to replace the previous boot argument with this -uia_exclude_hs uia_include=HS11. This will disable USB 2 ports so we can begin discovering USB 3.x ports. Because your keyboard and mouse are USB 2 devices, we must enable HS11 to keep them working.
Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 2.50.38 PM.png

Now reboot the computer again. And log back in. And run IORegistryExplorer and scroll (not 'search') down to XHCI as before.

Now connect a USB 3.x flash drive to each RED and BLUE USB port on the rear IO panel. Don't connect it to the 4 black USB 2 ports on left side.

Look at IORegistryExplorer to see which SSxx port lights up in green. Write its name directly on the diagram. Repeat this for all the remaining red and blue ports.

If your computer case has a USB-C port on the front, connect a USB 3 flash drive to it and see which SSxx port lights up. Write down its name on the diagram.

If your computer case has one or two blue USB 3 ports on the front, connect a USB 3 flash drive to each one, one by one, and see which SSxx port lights up in green. Write down that name on the diagram.

And we are done!

Simply post both of your diagrams and I'll create the port map SSDT.

Last edited:
Your homework assignment -- whenever you get the time.
[..]
You are such a great person.
In the meantime, I edited my post and added that I had a couple more freezes.

Also, I just remembered to check @bestplay 's EFI where I believe he mapped the USB ports?! I am trying his file in the meantime, I doubt it can go much worse than this.

Casey, can I ask you one last* question?
Why do I get those red entries in the screenshots attached? From screenshot1 to screenshot2 they have grown in number, and I took the screens just some seconds apart. Is it related to the USB thing as well?

*at least for the time being haha

Attachments

• screenshot1.png
    screenshot1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
  • screenshot2.png
    screenshot2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
You are such a great person.
In the meantime, I edited my post and added that I had a couple more freezes.

Also, I just remembered to check @bestplay 's EFI where I believe he mapped the USB ports?! I am trying his file in the meantime, I doubt it can go much worse than this.

Casey, can I ask you one last* question?
Why do I get those red entries in the screenshots attached? From screenshot1 to screenshot2 they have grown in number, and I took the screens just some seconds apart. Is it related to the USB thing as well?

*at least for the time being haha
Yes it's likely related to USB port map. We can see that the AppleLIFSUserClient process is restarting. LIFS is the LiveFS or Live File System that is supported now for FAT, ExFAT, and NTFS volumes.

Back