Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Do you think OCAT is suitable for updating Opencore 0.8.2 to 0.8.3 for a 12th Gen Z690 build?
Backup your EFI folder and run it.

Gents,

I wanted to introduce my new hackintosh to you but I am seeking for help. This thing is making me loose so much sleep and time.

Long story short, I got a Gaming X DDR 4 and upgraded my hackintosh keeping all of the parts: GC-Titan Ridge 2.0, graphic card, RAM and so on.

At first, to have as little downtime as possible, I simply replaced the EFI folder of my Z490 hackintosh with the one created for the Z690. It was all good. Then I decided to make a clean installation of the operating system.

Can anyone explain to me, please, why the original Monterey installation boots just fine straight to desktop, turning on the LG 5k, instead of what happens now with a clean installation which keeps my 5k off for several minutes before turning on and letting me type password to login into macOS? And it doesn’t even always turn on, after having waited anywhere between a few minutes to several minutes. If I disconnect the Thunderbolt cable, the other 4k monitor turns on immediately but when I reconnect the cable, of course, I am left with a dumb Ultrafine: no audio, no microphone, no camera, as my Titan Ridge isn’t flashed.
So, back to the original question: how is it possibile that my Z490 installation, which went through Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey didn’t give me these troubles? It is the same exact EFI.

This system is making me loose my sanity

Last edited:
Gents,

I wanted to introduce my new hackintosh to you but I am seeking for help. This thing is making me loose so much sleep and time.

Long story short, I got a Gaming X DDR 4 and upgraded my hackintosh keeping all of the parts: GC-Titan Ridge 2.0, graphic card, RAM and so on.

At first, to have as little downtime as possible, I simply replaced the EFI folder of my Z490 hackintosh with the one created for the Z690. It was all good. Then I decided to make a clean installation of the operating system.

Can anyone explain to me, please, why the original Monterey installation boots just fine straight to desktop, turning on the LG 5k, instead of what happens now with a clean installation which keeps my 5k off for several minutes before turning on and letting me type password to login into macOS? And it doesn’t even turn on all of the times.

This system is making me loose my sanity
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

So, back to the original question: how is it possibile that my Z490 installation, which went through Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey didn’t give me these troubles? It is the same exact EFI.
Different motherboard = different ACPI.
The new system probably requires some changes, in particular ACPI paths in the Thunderbolt SSDT. Please post the EFI you're using (without serial numbers!) and a copy of your IOReg.

Different motherboard = different ACPI.
The new system probably requires some changes, in particular ACPI paths in the Thunderbolt SSDT. Please post the EFI you're using (without serial numbers!) and a copy of your IOReg.
Thank you so much for your reply and will to help. I desperately need it… I’ll be able to post it in a couple of hours.

It is out of question that you have more experience than me - it is the first time I try to configure EFI on my own (and I had the task endlessly eased by what the community has done!)

Having said that, please note the followings: at first, I took the Adata SX8200 Pro SSD which had a functional Monterey installation, configured for Vision G, and I CCCed it to a Samsung EVO 970 replacing its EFI folder with the one I created for the new Z690 system. The system booted just fine, but exhibited some hiccups here and there (reboots, system freezes and so on), in fact it was my intention to check with you guys.
As soon as I started from scratch with a new Monterey installation, after having formatted the Adata SSD, but keeping the same EFI folder, it got worse also during the login phase. Is there an explanation?

Last edited:
Here are the files you asked.

Some bits of information:
  • currently running OC 0.8.3, but I used OC 0.8.2 as well
  • running bios F20a but i tested extensively F8a as well
  • I did the initial setup using @andyxm715 's EFI but i also had a look at @ori69 's, @bestplay 's & @CaseySJ 's ones
  • I believe I updated whatever needed an update an slimmed its size getting rid of what was unnecessary (haven't finished, yet)
  • I tried any combination I could think of (USB mapping limited @15 ports and so on)
  • for the record, I deleted the entry "LegacyEnable" because, starting from OC 0.8.3, during BIOS post there was the message "OCS: No schema for [..] at 2 index, context <NVRAM>
Thank you all for helping

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    9.6 MB · Views: 81
  • Mac Pro.ioreg.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Thanks.
The Thunderbolt SSDT points to the right path. (Made anew with HackinDROM?)
There should only be one of Hfsplus.efi and Openhfsplus.efi. XhciPortLimit quirk should be disabled when using SSDT-UIAC (and it doesn't work anyway with recent versions of macOS) and DisableIOMapper should also be disabled to load AppleVTD and benefit from the custom DMAR table. There are a few disabled SSDT/kext which could be removed altogether.
But I do not see an obvious issue with Thunderbolt here.

Hopefully @CaseySJ may come and have a look here.

Back