Contribute
Register

Z590 or Z690

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes i have built about 6 hacks now so I'm no stanger. Those addtional hacks are for a team of video editors for a company i work with but are all occupied.

The Z87 is my personal machine for seperate work. i'm gonna proceed with the Z590 as need to get up and running. FIngers crossed i dont regret it in a few years! After research I think the perfomance increase will be negligible in real world use between the 11900K vs the 12700K and still a massive jump from my Z87 4770k!

Hopfully will be a seemless install.......I've said that before.

While I have you- Do you think I should install Big Sur or Monterey? I have USBs ready for both.
Right. Well in that case just go for it!

As for the OS, I think Monterey is absolutely fine. Everything works pretty much with it and it’s very stable. As for the EFI if you are using any one of mine for the Z590 I would suggest you to use the OC 0.8.1 version for now and then just add IntelBTPatcher for the Intel Bluetooth (on top of IntelFirmwareInjector and Bluetoolfixup.kext). For some reason or other my OC0.8.4 build is problematic under Ventura so I am looking into that at the moment. I may have accidentally enabled USBMap as well as UTBMap in the build so have had it replaced.

I'll give Monterey ago so. May aswell save the headache of upgrading later.

I was gonna use the one off HackinDROM (image attached).

Do you have a link to any of your Z590 builds and i'll take a look?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 13.36.07.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 13.36.07.png
    228.1 KB · Views: 18

Thanks again!
A bit late here...

Re performance: All other things being equal — which they never are — If you get your kit over-clocked like a champ, and the 12th gen cores all working full steam you can expect the following geekbench

11900K: 1820 / 11400
12700K: 1950 / 15000

So that's a 7% bump on SC, which is irrelevant to any workload, and a 25% bump on MC heavy lifting. Which might be meaningful to some workload but not a game changer.

Studio Max comes in at something like:
1750 / 12500

OK so a hack can get same perf as M1 Max... The trick for the Intels is cooling: you can't cheap out or you'll be thermally capped or unstable. And getting your overclock config up to champ you will have to play with going over the edge to learn where the edge is... This is work!

Whereas with Apple you just unbox.

All the handwringing about being able to swap drives and RAM is noise. You really save nothing even given Apple's inflated prices because if you don't really need the pricey storage why are you worried about upgrading, and if you do really need the storage buy what you need which after you cost time and take your write-offs which additional price is negligible.

And if you can't tell the difference... Well there's no basis to judge.

Apple price premium means it's a solid upgrade with no surprises and help if shhh hits the fan.

NOTHING IS PERFECT BUT A HACK IS AN ORDER OF MAGNITUDE LESS PERFECT.

Hacks are a hobby that easily can cost 10x an Apple kit in time spent nerding out. If you have time, but can't convert it into money, a hack might be a great deal. Just understand this also means that you don't exist as a real part of the economy, so there's no business justification for it, by definition.

If you work for pay, get tools that let you get work done.

Anyone building a hack for business who also has to ask on forums which hack config they need has no business sense.

The dood who cares for a suite of hacks in a studio setting has the job of hack system administrator, which obviously is its own cost burden.

Time is money. Unreliability is therefore money. This cannot be cheated.

If your "business" angle is "I'm scrappy and I'm lucky" then every system question becomes academic.

Please don't misunderstand about having fun. I spent huge amounts of time on my hack and it runs well, and is a point of personal enjoyment and pride. But it's the most insanely uneconomical project I've ever done. Completely crazy. Seriously to be avoided on every productive principle.

A bit late here...

Re performance: All other things being equal — which they never are — If you get your kit over-clocked like a champ, and the 12th gen cores all working full steam you can expect the following geekbench

11900K: 1820 / 11400
12700K: 1950 / 15000

So that's a 7% bump on SC, which is irrelevant to any workload, and a 25% bump on MC heavy lifting. Which might be meaningful to some workload but not a game changer.

Studio Max comes in at something like:
1750 / 12500

OK so a hack can get same perf as M1 Max... The trick for the Intels is cooling: you can't cheap out or you'll be thermally capped or unstable. And getting your overclock config up to champ you will have to play with going over the edge to learn where the edge is... This is work!

Whereas with Apple you just unbox.

All the handwringing about being able to swap drives and RAM is noise. You really save nothing even given Apple's inflated prices because if you don't really need the pricey storage why are you worried about upgrading, and if you do really need the storage buy what you need which after you cost time and take your write-offs which additional price is negligible.

And if you can't tell the difference... Well there's no basis to judge.

Apple price premium means it's a solid upgrade with no surprises and help if shhh hits the fan.

NOTHING IS PERFECT BUT A HACK IS AN ORDER OF MAGNITUDE LESS PERFECT.

Hacks are a hobby that easily can cost 10x an Apple kit in time spent nerding out. If you have time, but can't convert it into money, a hack might be a great deal. Just understand this also means that you don't exist as a real part of the economy, so there's no business justification for it, by definition.

If you work for pay, get tools that let you get work done.

Anyone building a hack for business who also has to ask on forums which hack config they need has no business sense.

The dood who cares for a suite of hacks in a studio setting has the job of hack system administrator, which obviously is its own cost burden.

Time is money. Unreliability is therefore money. This cannot be cheated.

If your "business" angle is "I'm scrappy and I'm lucky" then every system question becomes academic.

Please don't misunderstand about having fun. I spent huge amounts of time on my hack and it runs well, and is a point of personal enjoyment and pride. But it's the most insanely uneconomical project I've ever done. Completely crazy. Seriously to be avoided on every productive principle.
Thanks @c-o-pr. I completly agree. The time I have injected over the years is unamountable. I have enjoyed the journey, however and learnt so much I never thought I would. It was a really risk back in 2013 when i built my first HACK. I Almost went for darth vaders dustbin instead and spent all my savings. What a mistake thats would have been.

Over the past 2 years Apple has caught up - EXCEPT GPU(which many dismiss). From my POV even the Mac Studio isn't there in this regard and may still be a few years yet until they are.

My conclusion has become "if it ant broke dont fix it". IE as soon as i get a stable (I never OC) build I leave it on that OS until forced, generally with great success. The biggest problems I've had over the years has been the BIOS reseting itself.
On this occasion the upgrade has been forced to upgrade from Mojave to BigSur(or newer) for Davinci Resolve 18 support.

Also 4k just isnt somthing I have lieing around at the moment. I can stretch to 1k and utilise what I have.
Re storage this is also important for me. I'm talking 10TB+ storage needed minuim. With a MacStudio you would need an external NAS which would add an another substantial cost.

But i completly hear your argument. I wont be making any more HACKs for the company I work for. I will advise Mac Studio. Things were different 3 years ago before the M1 when we thought we were getting a IPadPro+++ CPU in a MBP. Apple suprised us.

Thanks again!
Yes sure you can have a look at this one > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...igabyte-vision-d-i9-11900k-amd-rx6600.317472/

And this one is for my Z490 Aorus Xtreme > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...re-i5-10400-i9-11900k-nvidia-gtx-1060.310287/

And the Monterey version for Z490 is this one > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-aorus-xtreme-core-i5-10500-i9-10900k.317244/

I find Z490 motherboards are going for quite cheap these days (under $230 for motherboard) and the Core i5 10400K chip is priced almost similar that you can have a full system build for under $700 including the case. If you're not after a DGPU it works out great but if you do you can now get a AMD RX6600 8GB for around $259.99 so you have a full macOS compatible system for under $1000.

SUCCESS!!!

Just making the final steps to install. EFI Attached.

Bluetooth is the issue i'm working on at present - I have AX200 card built in to Vision Dand the WIF6 is working great but for the life of me cant get the bluetooth to work.

I've tried following this with no joy:

Any ideas?

Thanks!

@alexjibcam,
Congrats on your build! To enable BT on Intel wireless you'll need the following files from OpenIntelWireless Github and BrcmPatchRAM Github enabled in this order:
IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext
BlueToolFixup.kext
IntelBTPatcher.kext

and the following added to your config.plist:

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 7.30.15 AM.png

@alexjibcam,
Congrats on your build! To enable BT on Intel wireless you'll need the following files from OpenIntelWireless Github and BrcmPatchRAM Github enabled in this order:
IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext
BlueToolFixup.kext
IntelBTPatcher.kext

and the following added to your config.plist:

View attachment 555835
BrcmPatchRAM is not for Intel Wireless....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back