RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm attempting to get High Sierra running on a Gigabyte Z590 AORUS Master, currently running an i5-10600K (though I may switch to an i7-11700K) with a RX580. I can get the system to boot; however, none of the USB ports work, so I'm kinda stuck. I expect I'll find that there are other issues, like onboard Ethernet not working; however, it's a bit hard to do anything without a working keyboard or trackpad. I've attached my EFI, which is very basic. Can anyone help me get at least to the point where I've got some working USB?

Thank You
Troy

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I think that your hardware might be too new to have any support in High Sierra.
You should check that before spending more time troubleshooting your /EFI.

I think that your hardware might be too new to have any support in High Sierra.
You should check that before spending more time troubleshooting your /EFI.
Thank your for your reply. I happen to know that others have been successful at running High Sierra on a Z590 with both 10th and 11th gen processors, however, with limitations such as all USB ports only operating as USB 2.0 and onboard Ethernet not working. I just need help with getting USB working for now.

Thank You
Troy

Last edited:
Hi @Troy.Blackburn,

I've taken the liberty to have a look at your EFI and setup (since I have both Gigabyte Z490 and Z590 systems and also run High Sierra). It looks like you were missing a USB map and a few other things such as Bluetooth. So I've put one in (USB map) from a Z590 board which I think should work. I also went and did some digging on your ethernet. Turns out you have an Aquantia 10GBe AQC107. As it happens I have that too on my Z490 Aorus Xtreme (and the working config for High Sierra/BigSur) and put that in also, so I think overall it should work.

If you still have trouble with the USB ports I'd suggest to try to map and create your own USB map using tools such as Corpnewt's USBMap tool or the USBToolbox tool. I have also included USBInjectAll in there as a kext just in case if you have trouble with the ports. To use it you must disable any other custom USB map kexts like UTBMap and USBToolbox.kext and enable the XHCIPortLimit quirk.

One thing I am surprised however. You said it boots into the High Sierra OS (being 10th gen) and yet I saw you didn't use the Kernel > Emulate settings to set the CPU type to 9th gen. How it has done that intrigues me.

Anyways give it a shot and let us know how you get on.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 81
Hi @Troy.Blackburn,

I've taken the liberty to have a look at your EFI and setup (since I have both Gigabyte Z490 and Z590 systems and also run High Sierra). It looks like you were missing a USB map and a few other things such as Bluetooth. So I've put one in (USB map) from a Z590 board which I think should work. I also went and did some digging on your ethernet. Turns out you have an Aquantia 10GBe AQC107. As it happens I have that too on my Z490 Aorus Xtreme (and the working config for High Sierra/BigSur) and put that in also, so I think overall it should work.

If you still have trouble with the USB ports I'd suggest to try to map and create your own USB map using tools such as Corpnewt's USBMap tool or the USBToolbox tool. I have also included USBInjectAll in there as a kext just in case if you have trouble with the ports. To use it you must disable any other custom USB map kexts like UTBMap and USBToolbox.kext and enable the XHCIPortLimit quirk.

One thing I am surprised however. You said it boots into the High Sierra OS (being 10th gen) and yet I saw you didn't use the Kernel > Emulate settings to set the CPU type to 9th gen. How it has done that intrigues me.

Anyways give it a shot and let us know how you get on.

Middleman,
Thank you very much for your response and help. I tried the EFI folder you uploaded and am now getting an "End SetConsoleMode" message, which throws me into recovery mode. To complicate things, I'm working with a cloned drive with a High Sierra install that's running on another machine, so it ends up throwing me into recovery mode for macOS Ventura, which is installed on another drive in this system.

As for why I'm attempting this with a clone of another install, it's because my hope is to be able to create a working EFI and move the drive from the old system over to the newer hardware.

I've made sure that Secure Boot and CSM settings are disabled in the BIOS.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Again
Troy

Middleman,
Thank you very much for your response and help. I tried the EFI folder you uploaded and am now getting an "End SetConsoleMode" message, which throws me into recovery mode. To complicate things, I'm working with a cloned drive with a High Sierra install that's running on another machine, so it ends up throwing me into recovery mode for macOS Ventura, which is installed on another drive in this system.

As for why I'm attempting this with a clone of another install, it's because my hope is to be able to create a working EFI and move the drive from the old system over to the newer hardware.

I've made sure that Secure Boot and CSM settings are disabled in the BIOS.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Again
Troy
Alright, that sounds good! As for tips, try to change your Secureboot mode to Disabled. I believe that should work.

Alright, that sounds good! As for tips, try to change your Secureboot mode to Disabled. I believe that should work.
Secure Boot Mode is already disabled. Any other suggestions?

Thank You
Troy

No I think you've been mistaken. When I said SecureBoot disabled I meant the settings from the EFI.
Check the section under Misc > Security > SecureBootModel > Disabled.
I know this because I'd checked and it was set to Default before.

I
No I think you've been mistaken. When I said SecureBoot disabled I meant the settings from the EFI.
Check the section under Misc > Security > SecureBootModel > Disabled.
I know this because I'd checked and it was set to Default before.
I understand that you’re referring to BIOS settings. I’ll verify them again a bit later and post screenshots. We all know that BIOS layouts and options vary, often even from one BIOS version to the next for the same motherboard.

Thank you again. I sincerely appreciate the help.
Troy

I understand that you’re referring to BIOS settings.
Wrong :

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 03.12.23.png

Back