Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

2. The hot-plug doesn't even work on windows.
When you say hot plug doesn't work in windows, is this with the modified firmware, or is it also with original firmware too?
Also, do you have different thunderbolt devices to test? We say "thunderbolt 3" but it is really a family of controllers, some with Alpine Ridge (which has multiple sub-variations) and there are some with Titan Ridge (which also has sub variants).

On the Z590 Vision D, I've observed that a certain old Alpine Ridge device doesn't hot plug even in windows with Maple Ridge, even though it hot plugs fine with a real Mac and on the Z490 Vision D and even on Tiger Lake's TB implementation. Gigabyte has confirmed it.

However, I have other newer Alpine Ridge + Titan Ridge devices, and they all do hotplug in both Windows and Linux. I had to ensure GPIO3 Force Power was set to enabled. I also have Native OS security for TBT enabled as well. Turning it off messed up hotplugging devices via a Goshen Ridge hub (I'd have to turn off the hub and turn it back on for TB devices attached to it to hotplug).

Something seems to be missing from either Gigabyte's ACPI implementation or something needs to be enabled in macOS for hotplug to work on the Vision D. Because according to others in this thread, MSI Ace + Asus Hero Z590 seem to have working hotplug, even in macOS.

Would be interesting to see the IOREG of an ASUS Z590 Hero and/or MSI Z590 Ace running the modified firmwares and updated Maple Ridge properties and compare them to that of Gigabyte.

Last edited:
LOL! Yes a little cup for now and hopefully a full bottle to follow soon!

With Napa Valley so close to me, however, my little cup may well be a lovely little sparkling wine from Carneros region! Technically, unfortunately, we cannot call it "Champagne". :)

P.S. I do enjoy French wine as well!

View attachment 530986
Men of culture.

Hi @NorthAmTransAm

Here you go !

You can see on my previous post which OC patches to add. Also another post here about AppleVTD :)

Will give it a go come Sunday/Monday! Thanks as usual. I'll read up on the patches. AppleVTD is already a go go :)

@ori69 im right there with ya!

1620340840953.jpeg

Awesome -- did you modify the motherboard yourself?

I wish! I paid a shop in CT to fix/install it for me. I thought I ruined the Macronix chip originally and didn't want to keep doing that so we went with a cheap socket. Turns out the chip is fine!

Last edited:
Will give it a go come Sunday/Monday! Thanks as usual. I'll read up on the patches. AppleVTD is already a go go :)

@ori69 im right there with ya!

View attachment 531015

This is Asus ThunderboltEX-4

To reprogram this is enough such a clip.

Zrzut ekranu 2021-10-15 o 22.44.24.png

I had to let the stand, because the motherboard has greater entrustment and more integrated circuits and power supply from the programmer is not enough.

Thi is Asus ThunderboltEX-4

To reprogram this is enough such a clip.

View attachment 531016

I had to let the stand, because the motherboard has greater entrustment and more integrated circuits and power supply from the programmer is not enough.

Yep, EX4! Was just saying our socket setups are similar.

Exactly what I use. The clip had a lot of trouble reading the chip. Now I just set the chip on top of board and hold it in place to update it. Fun stuff.

Yep, EX4! Was just saying our socket setups are similar.

Exactly what I use. The clip had a lot of trouble reading the chip. Now I just set the chip on top of board and hold it in place to update it. Fun stuff.

It would be easier for Thunderboltex-3-Tr.
It has the same connectors and is already developed.

It would be easier for Thunderboltex-3-Tr.
It has the same connectors and is already developed.
All good! I've got the EX3-AR and am here to help out and test with Maple Ridge. Reporting back after the weekend.

Back