Contribute
Register

Z490 & Z590 - Will Z590 ever have macOS Support ?

OriginalFirmware-Z590iTH4-test01.bin

1. Yes
2. The hot-plug doesn't even work on windows.
3. Sleep does not work.
Do I understand this right?
  • With original Maple Ridge firmware you simply applied these Device Properties to OpenCore:
Zrzut ekranu 2021-10-15 o 12.24.19.png

• And Thunderbolt Bus got enabled?
Screenshot 2021-10-15 at 00.32.58.png

@ori69 @CaseySJ @dehjomz @joevt @NorthAmTransAm

a little cup of Champagne (French of course), after all necessary tests for all features, we will have deserved the bottle :clap:
LOL! Yes a little cup for now and hopefully a full bottle to follow soon!

With Napa Valley so close to me, however, my little cup may well be a lovely little sparkling wine from Carneros region! Technically, unfortunately, we cannot call it "Champagne". :)

P.S. I do enjoy French wine as well!

IMG_4958-2.jpg

Last edited:
  • With original Maple Ridge firmware you simply applied these Device Properties to OpenCore:
View attachment 530969
View attachment 530970

This patch is not enough. You still need to program the OriginalFirmware-Z590iTH4-test01.bin ROM from the post:
It is now detected and loads the Thunderbolt drivers.

Last edited:
This patch is not enough. Only after programming the ROM OriginalFirmware-Z590iTH4-test01.bin from the post:
Understood -- therefore:
  • This is the first time we have enabled Thunderbolt Bus on Maple Ridge by:
    • patching Maple Ridge firmware
    • and applying Device Properties
Current Issues:
  • Hot plug not yet working
  • Sleep is impaired
  • ThunderboltSwitchType3 (not Type4) is invoked
    • Maybe Type4 is not yet possible with macOS

View attachment 530969
View attachment 530970

From IOreg files, I understand that OriginalFirmware-Z590iTH4-test01.bin file is needed to enable all thunderbolt tree.

Moreover, we can see Thunderbolt Native Host enabled on port 7 without a patched ThunderboltDROM (0x2C7 to 0x287) !

Capture d’écran 2021-10-15 à 14.52.38.png

For hotplug, I don't see IOThunderboltIECSNub with subtree to identify PowerDelivery informations.

We also have new Thunderbolt switch named as IOThunderboltSwitchOS (instead of IOThunderboltSwitchType3) and a new property named as Product Description
Capture d’écran 2021-10-15 à 15.02.23.png

Last edited:
Today I took a photo in daylight. This is what the test motherboard looks like.

1634302835673.jpg

It's good that I bought a package of chips.

1634303967499.jpg

This patch is not enough. You still need to program the OriginalFirmware-Z590iTH4-test01.bin ROM from the post:
As I see that XHC3 is not enabled (No driver yet for XHC Maple ridge with PID 0x1138), you could try same patching to see what happen (be sure to have Thunderbolt USB enabled on BIOS):

Config.plist > DevicesProperties > New device (+):
Devices : PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
Key: device-id
Value: EC150000
Type: DATA

I changed the settings in the BIOS:

"Native OS security for TBT" - Enabled
It is usually recommended to disable Thunderbolt security. And it would be a pity if this simple BIOS setting were responsible for hot-plug not working…

Congratulation for your dedication! Harnessing a SOIC8 socket to the motherboard was a rather extreme step.

Back