Contribute
Register

z370 w/ i5-9600K - KP while upgrading from Big Sur to Sonoma

I can't go iGPU on Big Surm nor can I proceed with Sonoma install.. Anyone?

Hi there.

Your RX570 should be fine - No need (as far as I know) to go to iGPU, unless you wish to use it as "headless" (see @Edhawk 's answer).

Crucial MX500 SSD is also fine - No need for NVME kext, as @Edhawk says, it's a SATA 2.5".

If you are using someone else's EFI without any modification then obviously you will not know what is going on. If you have modified it yourself at all then ZIP it into an archive and attach it to a post so we can check it (first blank your serial-number).

The problem could also be a BIOS setting. For example - is VT-d enabled or disabled?

:)

Hi there.

Your RX570 should be fine - No need (as far as I know) to go to iGPU, unless you wish to use it as "headless" (see @Edhawk 's answer).

Crucial MX500 SSD is also fine - No need for NVME kext, as @Edhawk says, it's a SATA 2.5".

If you are using someone else's EFI without any modification then obviously you will not know what is going on. If you have modified it yourself at all then ZIP it into an archive and attach it to a post so we can check it (first blank your serial-number).

The problem could also be a BIOS setting. For example - is VT-d enabled or disabled?

I decided to proceed with dGPU. Its working perfectly on Big Sur.
VT-d is disabled.
I've adapted to standard kexts, except for USBMap.kext. Enabling or disabling NVMeFix.kext doesn't make a difference.

I've verified that all the suggestions by Dortina's Coffee Lake settings are in place and some of the quirks that I need to keep for my config to work with my MB.

My original (w/ custum kexts) and current (w/ standard kexts) state is - it fails to upgrade to Sonoma..

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    18.4 MB · Views: 13
I decided to proceed with dGPU. Its working perfectly on Big Sur.
VT-d is disabled.
I've adapted to standard kexts, except for USBMap.kext. Enabling or disabling NVMeFix.kext doesn't make a difference.

I've verified that all the suggestions by Dortina's Coffee Lake settings are in place and some of the quirks that I need to keep for my config to work with my MB.

My original (w/ custum kexts) and current (w/ standard kexts) state is - it fails to upgrade to Sonoma..

Have you tried with the Misc/Security/SecureBootModel set to "Disabled" in config.plist?

By the way ...

The USBMap.kext has several errors. The port-count is wrong, ports SS09 and SS10 have been excluded. There is no physical port USR2. Also there is no such port as HS15.

Have you tried with the Misc/Security/SecureBootModel set to "Disabled" in config.plist?
I just did and it makes no difference - Boots successfully to Big Sur, but fails to continue upgrade to Sonoma..
By the way ...

The USBMap.kext has several errors. The port-count is wrong, ports SS09 and SS10 have been excluded. There is no physical port USR2. Also there is no such port as HS15.
Do you think this could result in KP during installation? I thought this is more of a PostInstall step.. I'll def get to fixing it, but not right now if it is not a priority..

I just did and it makes no difference - Boots successfully to Big Sur, but fails to continue upgrade to Sonoma..

Do you think this could result in KP during installation? I thought this is more of a PostInstall step.. I'll def get to fixing it, but not right now if it is not a priority..

The upgrade to Sonoma in the video you posted basically crashes about 3/4 through. However the scrolling is too fast to allow a pause and read because the resulting image is blurred. But I did make out the tell-tale signs of a crash.

To be honest, at this point all we can say is that from what we have seen you should be able to use the Full Sonoma installer to upgrade from Big Sur on your hardware. The fact you are not able to suggests there is something else we can't see or know about. For example, how/where did you download Sonoma?

No, a borked USB configuration is more likely to give you a kernel panic during the Verbose text, i.e. the initial boot phase.

Specifically when theBIOS/OpenCore hands over the reins of the system to the OS. Often USB ports are dropped from the OS's grasp, leading to the 'Still waiting for root device' error (graphically a 'no entry' or 'Prohibited' sign (circle with line through it)).

KP's during the actual macOS install process are more likely to be caused by an issue with the installer on the USB pen drive.

The upgrade to Sonoma in the video you posted basically crashes about 3/4 through. However the scrolling is too fast to allow a pause and read because the resulting image is blurred. But I did make out the tell-tale signs of a crash.

To be honest, at this point all we can say is that from what we have seen you should be able to use the Full Sonoma installer to upgrade from Big Sur on your hardware. The fact you are not able to suggests there is something else we can't see or know about. For example, how/where did you download Sonoma?

Thank you UDB.. Should I try installing USBMap.kext, but keep the USBInjectAll?
No, a borked USB configuration is more likely to give you a kernel panic during the Verbose text, i.e. the initial boot phase.

Specifically when theBIOS/OpenCore hands over the reins of the system to the OS. Often USB ports are dropped from the OS's grasp, leading to the 'Still waiting for root device' error (graphically a 'no entry' or 'Prohibited' sign (circle with line through it)).

KP's during the actual macOS install process are more likely to be caused by an issue with the installer on the USB pen drive.
UDB and Ed, I downoaded from the Software update utility on the same machine and installing directly. I'll try to start reinstalling again and see how it goes..

Disabled the USBMap and booted to verify that it's not loaded using kextstat. Started a fresh upgrade just nnow and will report bac..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 11.04.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 11.04.15 AM.png
    407.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Disabled the USBMap and booted to verify that it's not loaded using kextstat. Started a fresh upgrade just nnow and will report bac..

Okay. Good luck. :thumbup:

Out of interest USBPorts.kext and USBMap.kext do not show up in Kextstat anyway. One advantage to using them with modern macOS versions - no executable to worry system security.

Back