750M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Restart, log out and shutdown stops with error:

loginwindow[66]: ERROR | -[SessionLogoutManager startLogout:logoutSubType:showConfirmationUI:countDownTime:useTALOption:logoutO ptions:] | Attempt to start a: Restart, AFTER a Restart was already past the point where logout can change types

Have to use power button to restart, really afraid about corruption of data/session and hate this workaround!

Installed fresh Yosemite 10.10.3 on my MacBook Pro Retina 15 mid 2014 - started to install programs and this error!

It doesn't happen only for Restart commands issued from the Apple menu though. It is also happening with Shutdown & Logout commands.
The Finder freezes and the menu bar & desktop icons disappear.
The Dock & Spotlight still works.

Finder can't be Force-quit/Relaunched. It totally ignores the command.
If you run any other app (using the Dock, Spotlight or Alfred) the menu bar of this app appears and so does the Apple menu along with it.
But re-issuing Restart, Shutdown or Logout commands using it, does absolutely nothing more than adding more loginwindow ERROR log entries in the Console.
These Console log - They just say "Attempt to start a: Restart" or "Attempt to start a: Shutdown" or "Attempt to start a: Logout" respectively.

The only way to shutdown my computer (not that forcefully as the keyboard shortcuts do) is to use the Terminal.
sudo shutdown -r now
(-r for restart or -h for shutdown).

Also note that if you Apple menu -> Restart almost immediately after you login to the system, then it is working fine.
But if you start working and then try again after some time has passed the problem repeats.

Mavericks restarted fine.

Please, help! :banghead:

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Am experiencing exactly the same behaviour as you on my desktop build.

Not a great help but good to know we aren't alone and - hopefully - some genius out there will have the solution! :D

Ps: if you boot in safe mode (-x) you can exit normally

since 10.10.1 we can see this bug

A workaround is to set up a new user account: then all seems well.
My plan is to make a copy of my current home account and set the copy as home directory for the new user account.
Just to clarify, a brand-new user account eliminates the logoff/shutdown issue.
I haven't yet tested whether my idea works as above or whether the issue will be carried across to the new user account.

hm, dont forget to tell how it works after some time, please

Will do. Away from home til later this week but will post results as soon as I can.

Thanks! Any ideas from someone else?

This worked perfectly for me and all is back to normal now:

1)Make a copy of your "home" folder and name it whatever you like.

2) Create a new user

3) Right-click on the new user account (in system preferences, where you created it) and choose "advanced options"

4) Change the default location of the home directory to the one you made a copy of in step 1

Reboot and login to your new user account.

(You'll be asked to re-enter iCloud passwords etc but other than that all worked fine for me.

Let me know how you get on!!

Will try!:headbang:
I'll tell you about the result

How long has your system does not hang on reboot ?:beachball:

No problems at all so far: it's all behaving as it should do with normal log-off/restart/shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back