Lenovo Yoga X1 (Gen 3)
CPU
i7 8650U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi all,

After a lot of reading, searching, trying different things I finally managed to get 12.4 on a USB stick and using OpenCore (latest version) to configure the config.plist file. I followed the directions on the OpenCore site for my 8th gen processor.

I'm finally able to boot into the installation screen, but it immediately locks up/freezes.

Any suggestions on what could possibly be going on? I initially though my trackpack/keyboard was not working, but plugging in a wired USB mouse didn't work. I then noticed it was completely frozen.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi all,

After a lot of reading, searching, trying different things I finally managed to get 12.4 on a USB stick and using OpenCore (latest version) to configure the config.plist file. I followed the directions on the OpenCore site for my 8th gen processor.

I'm finally able to boot into the installation screen, but it immediately locks up/freezes.

Any suggestions on what could possibly be going on? I initially though my trackpack/keyboard was not working, but plugging in a wired USB mouse didn't work. I then noticed it was completely frozen.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Hi there,

That unfortunately is the same situation I am also facing (believe it or not). Whilst Monterey currently works for most of my other systems, it is the one running Kaby Lake which seems to have me stumped (for now). I personally believe its a memory allocation issue, but it could be something else.

There are other things you could do of course to mitigate the issue. Check out this guide here and apply what's under the Fixing Sleep section to see if it helps. > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/sleep.html

For the installation page, you could try disabling your WiFi and Bluetooth kext drivers for now. On some systems that allows you to get to the installation screen.

The other thing you could do is to create a Debug of your current version of Opencore. All it requires is the main OC files such as bootx64 and opencore.efi (and the Lilu/Whatevergreen/Virtualsmc/AppleALC kexts) replaced with their Debug versions and that the Apple Debug and Apple Panic settings in OC are enabled under Misc.

Well, I managed to get it to load the installer without freezing.

However, when I try to format the SSD with APFS filesystem, it locks up every single time on "creating APFS Volume".

Am I limited to APFS filesystem?

Alright. I concluded the SSD was the problem. For some reason the installer didn't like it. I swapped out the Samsung for a WD and have successfully installed Monterey installed.

I need to figure out a few things though:
- graphics are choppy
- no sound
- overall performance is kind of slow

Alright. I concluded the SSD was the problem. For some reason the installer didn't like it. I swapped out the Samsung for a WD and have successfully installed Monterey installed.

I need to figure out a few things though:
- graphics are choppy
- no sound
- overall performance is kind of slow
Okay good going! You can check out my Z170 Skylake guide here for the rest. > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...4-ga-z170n-wifi-samsung-860-evo-rx550.313767/
You will need to use laptop graphics however so will need to check the Dortania laptop guide for the settings.

Thanks for all the tips and support. I got really frustrated with the slow performance making it difficult to do anything.

I decided to google around and came across a github repo from a person with the exact same laptop (type 20LE) with the EFI folder.

I did a straight copy/paste of the EFI files and only had to modify the ALC kext to get sound working. I'm currently on Monterey 12.4 on the Yoga X1. It's running great so far. I also swapped out the wifi card with a native supported one I had laying around.

not sure how a desktop setup would help on a laptop.....
Well apart from the GPU, SMBIOS and certain SSDTS/battery kexts they do share common settings...

Well apart from the GPU, SMBIOS and certain SSDTS/battery kexts they do share common settings...
not many....

also the laptop guide is already prepped for a Skylake system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back