Contribute
Register

Xeon E5 - 16 Cores/ 32 Thr Z9PE-D8 WS 12TB GeekBench 28,000

What would you use this computer for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 pieces of Intel XEON E5-2697 V2 (Processors)

Won't work as mentioned before (maximum of 32 Threads exceeded)
Also I don't think these are the most powerful ones for long time as v3s are on their way

2 pieces of Gigabyte GV-NTITANZD5-12GD-B (VGAs)

not it efficient as OS X doesn't support SLI - also 4 Titan Black would be more powerful

PS.: I don't know which is the correct choice in RAID cards. Can somebody suggest some of them?

The Highpoint Raid Cards can be used in real Macs so they are also good for hackingtoshs
For your drives I would recommend the HighPoint Raid 2720SGL and 2 miniSAS to 4x SATA cables :thumbup:

EDIT:
I want to build from these component an ultimate video-editor workhorse PC, which can make any type of work.
(I also want to play a little bit in my free time ;-) )

If if you want to game on 4 Titans I would suggest choosing the EVGA Hydro Copper ones and make an open water cooling loop with EK Waterblocks for CPUs instead of the closed Corsair H100s

Won't work as mentioned before (maximum of 32 Threads exceeded)
Also I don't think these are the most powerful ones for long time as v3s are on their way

not it efficient as OS X doesn't support SLI - also 4 Titan Black would be more powerful

The Highpoint Raid Cards can be used in real Macs so they are also good for hackingtoshs
For your drives I would recommend the HighPoint Raid 2720SGL and 2 miniSAS to 4x SATA cables :thumbup:

EDIT:

If if you want to game on 4 Titans I would suggest choosing the EVGA Hydro Copper ones and make an open water cooling loop with EK Waterblocks for CPUs instead of the closed Corsair H100s

Hi Guys!

The question is the following: what is in that case, I disable the hyper threading, and I use 2 of 2697 v2? Can I disable the hyper threading a., in Asus Z9PE-D8 WS BIOS b., 2697 v2 can operate without hyper threading?

With 2 of 2697 v2 (with disabled hyper threading) I have 2 x 16 processor core and 2 x 16 thread, both number is <= 32.

I thought about this, but I am not sure, I have right...

Please somebody tell me the truth.

The question is the following: what is in that case, I disable the hyper threading, and I use 2 of 2697 v2? Can I disable the hyper threading a., in Asus Z9PE-D8 WS BIOS b., 2697 v2 can operate without hyper threading?

With 2 of 2697 v2 (with disabled hyper threading) I have 2 x 16 processor core and 2 x 16 thread, both number is <= 32.

Both would work. Although the E5-2697v2 has 12 cores and 24 Threads according to intel - so you have 24 cores then and no Hyperthreading or you limit your cores in BIOS to 8 - then you'll have 16 cores and 32 Threads but the performance will be worse.

Please somebody tell me the truth.

If you are curious about me telling you the truth check out tutors thread on the other forum - he has the same problem because he has a 4 Socket System with each processor having 8 cores and 16 threads - to boot OS X he had to disable Hyperthreading to get 4*8=32 cores/threads

Hmmm-

So if this is the lineup for the v3's, what is looking the most appealing for a hack?

http://www.chiploco.com/haswell-ep-e5-2600-v3-specs-35055/

Either the single 2698 v3 or a pair of 2667's? For my application (audio, generally low latency) more cores in one chip seems to be generally better than splitting to 2 chips, but I was hoping for a 2698w v3 that would have 16c and 160w TDP.

It is looking at bit like the V3's aren't likely to post much better hack numbers than v2's considering the 32 thread limit. Is there any talk of that getting lifted by apple or hacked in the kernel?

These procs are getting really pricy too eh? It's looking like the top spec broadwell could be over 5k.

First, all the credit to Mardus and Toleda. It seems like the steps to get internal audio working for this board have been buried under a mountain of posts. It took me over a month to uncover these instructions.

Here's how you get internal audio working in 10.9.4 for the z9pe-d8-ws. I am confirming that this works.

Short Instructions:

Interim Lion AppleHDA.kext + HDAEnabler898.kext

Long Instructions:

Step 1. Download the following:

Interim Realtek Ivy Bridge Lion AppleHDA (http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/55638-interim-realtek-ivy-bridge-lion-applehda.html)
Multibeast Lion 4.6.1 (http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=34)
Kextbeast (http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=32)

Step 2. Back up AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/.

Step 3. Delete the AppleHDAenabler (if found) in your Extra/modules folder.

Step 4. Delete any of the following ALC8xxHDA, ALC8xx, HDAEnabler8xx and any other audio enablers (if found) from /System/Library/Extensions/.

Step 5. Install Interim Realtek ivy bridge lion AppleHDA.kext by putting it on the desktop running Kextbeast.

Step 6. Run Mutibeast 4.5.1 and install HDAEnabler898.kext by going to:

Drivers and Bootloaders>Kext and Enablers>Audio>Realtek ALC8xx>Non-DSDT HDAEnabler>ALC898.

Step 7. Reboot and enjoy your audio.

This is how I figured this all out... See post #197 here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/76202-mountain-lion-optimized-applehda-realtek-alc8xx-20.html

Again, thanks, Mardus and Toleda.

Any issues updating to 10.9.5? Kexts still working?

Cheers and Thanks

Somebody help me please.

I cannot manage to get installing 10.9.4 or 10.9.5 after many retries.

My Specs:

ASUS Z9PE W8 DS - 2x XEON E5-2640
Radeon 7870 HD

My problem is on login window (Gray screen with spinning wheel on login and waiting...waiting...waiting...waiting...sleeping..zzzzz
Gray Screen with: -v npci=0x2000 dart=0
Black Screen with: -v GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000 dart=0

P.S. I have tried all Mavericks versions (10.9.1-.2-.3-.4-.5)

My Installed System for now is 10.8.4 with FBRotate enabled to get Graphic Card working and Chameleon 2250 Bootloader.

Somebody help me please.

I cannot manage to get installing 10.9.4 or 10.9.5 after many retries.

My Specs:

ASUS Z9PE W8 DS - 2x XEON E5-2640
Radeon 7870 HD

My problem is on login window (Gray screen with spinning wheel on login and waiting...waiting...waiting...waiting...sleeping..zzzzz
Gray Screen with: -v npci=0x2000 dart=0
Black Screen with: -v GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000 dart=0

P.S. I have tried all Mavericks versions (10.9.1-.2-.3-.4-.5)

My Installed System for now is 10.8.4 with FBRotate enabled to get Graphic Card working and Chameleon 2250 Bootloader.

Can you boot ok using a Mavericks UniBeast USB stick? If so just copy the org.chameleon.Boot.plist etc over to your new Extra folder.

If you can't boot UB the -v command-line should show where the crash/freeze occurs.

Can you boot ok using a Mavericks UniBeast USB stick? If so just copy the org.chameleon.Boot.plist etc over to your new Extra folder.

If you can't boot UB the -v command-line should show where the crash/freeze occurs.

Thnx, I'll try

P.S. As for your advice to boot as verbose, i wouldn't see anything because i have passed the boot procedure and stuck before get the desktop screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back