x79 sabertooth, i7 3970x, nvidia 680 boots only in verbose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
i7 2600k
Graphics
Hello guys, so my system boots only in vebose mode. When in verbose mode everything is fine. But when i boot without -v (verbose), when it comes to the graphic part of the booting process, a gray screen comes up, with a mouse and a spinning wheel that i can move around. Then sometimes it goes to desktop and freezes. I have tried rebooting with verbose mode to see if everything is fine, and it is, even after 10 reboots. What to do?

Tried safe mode (-x)?

Do you have a KP log that tells you why it crashed?
If not, I would suspect faulty hardware. Check whther the RAMs are seated correctly.

Does Windows work?

Are you new on this forum? None of what you said is relevant to what my post is. Maybe you should double read before posting a reply. Theres no kernel panic, its just the graphics freezing up when not in verbose mode.

Are you new on this forum? None of what you said is relevant to what my post is. Maybe you should double read before posting a reply. Theres no kernel panic, its just the graphics freezing up when not in verbose mode.

Paul,

Oh, he's asking an absolutely valid question, as in half the cases of installs it sometimes is simply down to the hardware, especially if there is faulty RAM. I suggest try something like Memtest or even TechTool Pro if possible. It's just a precaution...

As for the verbose mode thingy, it sounds a bit off. Normally something like that should boot normally if you've made a successful install.
Have you installed the Nvidia GEForce Mac drivers from Nvidia's site for your card? > http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-270.00.00f01-driver.html

Everything is properly installed, every driver, its not like i am in the installing stage, so i dont get why the ram should be the problem. If Ram was actually faulty then it wouldnt work with verbose either. I highly doubt its the ram. Most of the time when ram is faulty the system doesnt boot up. Its easy just to pick a problem out of the hat and say that maybe its that. I think the problem is the graphics, its only recognised in the graphics/displays section of the about this mac and not in the pci card section. I tried installing the nvidia drivers once, didnt really do anything, so i guess i will give it another shot, il let you know.

Everything is properly installed, every driver, its not like i am in the installing stage, so i dont get why the ram should be the problem. If Ram was actually faulty then it wouldnt work with verbose either. I highly doubt its the ram. Most of the time when ram is faulty the system doesnt boot up. Its easy just to pick a problem out of the hat and say that maybe its that. I think the problem is the graphics, its only recognised in the graphics/displays section of the about this mac and not in the pci card section. I tried installing the nvidia drivers once, didnt really do anything, so i guess i will give it another shot, il let you know.

Hi Paul,

Normally the Nvidia card should be one of the first items you'll ever see working under the About This Mac system profile - if it isn't then it is suspect. I hope you're not using a dual ATI+Nvidia graphics card setup here...because that doesn't really work too well in Mountain Lion. A better option (if you need it) is Intel HD + Nvidia...but that needs the 10.8.2 Supplemental Update plus a couple of other files.

Nonetheless try this. I've had much success with Multibeast v5.1.3 on my setups so I would try that instead and use that to re-add your Nvidia GTX6xx OpenGL driver by selecting the last (3rd) option in Multibeast > Graphics >Nvidia. And then download the latest Nvidia GeForce Mac & CUDA drivers after that (which you should be aware), are two separate downloads. Then do Disk Utility > Repair Permissions on your HD and reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back