Contribute
Register

X58A-UD7+i7-920 and Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I'm trying to do a fresh install on a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB but once I format it and do an install doesn't show the fresh install icon after restart. I only see external drive on clover. So I can't choose fresh install SSD to finish the install and do MultiBeast. My build is the same as 2011 Mac Pro Hackintosh except I'm using Samsung SSD. Any ideas?

Hello,
I'm trying to do a fresh install on a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB but once I format it and do an install doesn't show the fresh install icon after restart. I only see external drive on clover. So I can't choose fresh install SSD to finish the install and do MultiBeast. My build is the same as 2011 Mac Pro Hackintosh except I'm using Samsung SSD. Any ideas?
You’re probably going to have to upgrade your graphics card. I don’t believe the 5770 supports Mojave; it didn’t in mine.

Add whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext to your installer Clover/kexts/other folder or the 10.14 folder so your RX580 will work.

So, I decided to go with the flaky 5770 GPU and install HS first. Straight up Unibeast 8.3.2 would absolutely fail to boot. Add in modified config.plist as per your instructions for the HS install, my DSDT, and the appropriate kexts including the lilu and whatevergreen kexts and I have a USB that boots and successfully installed HS. I have also fully updated HS, and it appears to run just fine at this point. Swapped out the 5770 for the RX 580 and all is well.

Some notes: it took me multiple attempts to get the USB stick created, and the install failed to create a bootable HD. I had to install clover into the HD from the HS install after booting to it from the USB stick. At this moment, it still won't automatically boot into HS, although I'm sure I left off a config setting somewhere.

Time to clone the drive, make sure it boots, and then do an in place upgrade to Mojave.

Hello,
You’re probably going to have to upgrade your graphics card. I don’t believe the 5770 supports Mojave; it didn’t in mine.

The 5770 definitely is not supported by Mojave. But it is by High Sierra. macnyc doesn't say which he's installing. I wound up having to install HS with the 5770, and then swapping it out with the 580 after I got all the pieces sorted out. Now that I have a fully working system, I'll clone it and attempt the Mojave upgrade later this week. It's quite a process with older hardware that's no longer supported by the tools available here. Thanks to guidance and lots of postings from folks like Going Bald, the process is a lot easier than it would otherwise be for people like me.

Honestly, if it wasn't for Going Bald, I'd probably have bought a new mini and/or a new hack rig instead of playing around with this almost 9 year old rig. I'll probably still buy the new mini though.

Thank you all!!!
I was actually on the same frustration of almost getting a mini ... going well at least I have a keyboard and a mouse and a monitor. Not bad!!! Ok. I’ll try HS. The only reason I’m upgrading is because my Sierra lost Ethernet connection for whatever reason. I’ve been deleting Realtek Gigabit 819 and replacing with Atheros Ethernet kexts to no avail. Any ideas on what to do with the Ethernet? While I save money for my next build.
Much thanks!

Thank you all!!!
I was actually on the same frustration of almost getting a mini ... going well at least I have a keyboard and a mouse and a monitor. Not bad!!! Ok. I’ll try HS. The only reason I’m upgrading is because my Sierra lost Ethernet connection for whatever reason. I’ve been deleting Realtek Gigabit 819 and replacing with Atheros Ethernet kexts to no avail. Any ideas on what to do with the Ethernet? While I save money for my next build.
Much thanks!
I use the Realtek RTL8111 on my -UD7. It seems to work better than the others and recognizes both of my NICS (both 8111D).
Since the -UD3r Rev.1 uses 8111D NIC and the Rev.2 board uses 8111E NIC the 8111 kext ought to work with either one.

Still on 10.10 with chimera.
With unibeast it never goes past this

Than goes to reboot. Mojove install.
Does anybody got any idea ???
Changing efi folder for the one in the first post doesn't start at all.
With unibeast High Sierra just about the same.

Probably its something easy as I am not used to clover. Thanks.

Last edited:
EDIT:
Now up and running.
Problem was with installer wanting to do a firmware upgrade before installing. Stork suggested changing system definition to iMac 14,2 and installing with that and then changing it back to Mac Pro 5,1 (thanks, Stork). Did that and upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave went smoothly. APFS on SSD seems a bit faster than HFS+ on a platter drive; apps open and close quickly. So far, even with 12 apps running at once I have not seen the "spinning beachball" of system busy indication.
To get audio after upgrade, per instructions (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mojave-applehda-audio.260004/ )remove all previous audio install (config.plist edits, ALCHDA extensions, old AppleALC.kext, old lily.kext, etc.), then add new lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext to Clover/kexts/other and reboot. Audio working again. Thanks, toleda.

The only odd thing happening is on boot. The progress bar under the apple gets about halfway and the screen flashes a bright white and almost instantly presents the log-in screen.

View attachment 356027

I like the dark mode.
___
Well, it looks as if my venerable Mac Pro 5,1 (2010) is unable to run Mojave. The installer insists I have to have a GPU supporting Metal and File Vault turned off. The System Profiler says my RX580 is metal supported, but I could not get past that first screen.

View attachment 339378
However, there is more than one way to get to the installer.
I re-inserted my HS drive, booted it and opened terminal, typed in:
sudo /Applications/Install\ MacOS\ Mojave\ Beta.app/ Contents/Resources and the installer started. Lots of text lines later it tells me:
unsupported CPU
unsupported CPU
unsupported PCH

does about 20 lines of checksums and reports corruption for each one.

How do you get a 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 definition instead of the 2010 one? I have ordered a MacPro upgrade kit with a 6core Xeon W3670, but it may not get me the 2012 definition when I install it. Will have to wait and see.

hi there! i am currently using rx 580 with orinoco fb inserted in the confing.plist. i want to know if can you boot to mac os installer without using any helper card and only with the rx 580( i believe you have connected it on displayport)? cause when i boot to mac os installer with my sapphire rx 580 nitro plus plugged in and connected to my monitor over hdmi causes black screen. the same happens after installing mac os (tried with high sierra) using gt 710 and later swapping with rx580. for now only orinoco frame buffer installed in config.plist is working with my rx 580. please do reply! thank you!

I use the Realtek RTL8111 on my -UD7. It seems to work better than the others and recognizes both of my NICS (both 8111D).
Since the -UD3r Rev.1 uses 8111D NIC and the Rev.2 board uses 8111E NIC the 8111 kext ought to work with either one.

I have a rev 2.0 UD5 board, and I too use the RTL8111. It just seems to be the most stable of the lot for this chipset, and has been the main driver since macman's original Linux port way back in 2011/2012, IIRC. I tried a couple of the later updates (v2.0/v2.1/v2.2) but they didn't seem to work as well or at all, so back to my trusty RTL8111 kext.

I am enjoying HS as it's running well. I haven't let it sleep in a while, as that was always a problem with some of the other things I run. With HS, I seem to lose BT occasionally after coming back the next day. Turning BT off, unplugging the adapter, plugging it back in and turning it fixes it, although I wonder if I can just unplug/plug it back in, will try that next time it happens. The software on/off doesn't seem to do the trick, as it hangs until I unplug it. If I had had the patience, maybe it would have successfully turned off eventually, after the connection timeout.

I still want to upgrade to Mojave to match my other systems, but time isn't on my side at the moment.

Still on 10.10 with chimera.
With unibeast it never goes past this
View attachment 389046
Than goes to reboot. Mojove install.
Does anybody got any idea ???
Changing efi folder for the one in the first post doesn't start at all.
With unibeast High Sierra just about the same.
View attachment 389089
Probably its something easy as I am not used to clover. Thanks.

Edit: I was mistaken, you're going to be able to install Mojave, and High Sierra (HS) as it appears your graphics card does support Metal. I'd still recommend going the HS route as that appears to be a simpler install, at least it was for me.

I'd recommend going the HS route, get that up and running and familiarize yourself with Clover. It's very different, and it's something I also had to overcome. Use the EFI folder attached here and install HS with it. Your board is rev 2 vs GB's, so you'll likely need to replace the DSDT with the specific one for your board. Since you're running 10.10, try using that first. If you have not done your ACPI mods in your DSDT, I believe you may need NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back