RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Well, I'm finally done with my G5 case recycle. The build went relatively well- lots of putting in and pulling out, modifying and re-modifying. Definitely fun, probably not a cost effective way to go, although 2nd time around I would be able to do it much better and cheaply. I have a few more mods in the works (rack for additional hdd, etc). Here's the links to the first part of my build: download/file.php?id=4680&mode=view; download/file.php?id=4681&mode=view; download/file.php?id=4682&mode=view

More photos:removable mobo.JPG[/attachment]running.JPGg5.JPG

Attachments

• running.JPG
    running.JPG
    328.7 KB · Views: 889
  • removable mobo.JPG
    removable mobo.JPG
    451.3 KB · Views: 808
  • g5.JPG
    g5.JPG
    370.2 KB · Views: 887
maoule

Very nice build, can you give us a parts list on what system you are running and where you sourced your case parts like the motherboard tray.

very cool...

ptmays said:
maoule

Very nice build, can you give us a parts list on what system you are running and where you sourced your case parts like the motherboard tray.

very cool...
ATM running 10.6.4; when I get time for research, I'll maybe take it up to 6.6. The mobo tray and back was from Mountain Mods (btw the only aluminum one I could find). I had to modify it substantially. Everything else I made or modified.
The OS installation went fairly well. Huge thanks to Tony for this site; I wouldn't have tried this without the info I found here. I'm not much into the software side of the build, but it went OK. I had to use several different how-to's to figure everything out because of my inexperience, but in the end figured it out. I didn't realize how much different hardware REALLY changes how you must proceed. The mobo bios version update/dsdt really screwed me up for a while. All's well that ends well. More tweaking to do so I'll update.

Awesome build. Looking really neat. I should have my g5 case next week. How did you connect the front panel with power button etc?

Thanks, I hope you have as much fun.
I looked everywhere for the G5 cable or suitable connector to make the conversion found on various posts here..no love. Go ahead and spring for the ones on ebay; with all the running around I did, $8 would have been way cheaper. I found a connector while hacking up an old PC front panel that fit perfectly. It was for the twin usb connections on the front panel. Some careful snipping of the moulding holding it place and some painstaking repinning got my front usb and on/off/led working. When I get bored, I'll tackle the firewire and audio jack. G'luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back