Contribute
Register

X58A-UD7+i7-920 and Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there! i am currently using rx 580 with orinoco fb inserted in the confing.plist. i want to know if can you boot to mac os installer without using any helper card and only with the rx 580( i believe you have connected it on displayport)? cause when i boot to mac os installer with my sapphire rx 580 nitro plus plugged in and connected to my monitor over hdmi causes black screen. the same happens after installing mac os (tried with high sierra) using gt 710 and later swapping with rx580. for now only orinoco frame buffer installed in config.plist is working with my rx 580. please do reply! thank you!

For the RX580 you need lilu and whatevergreen kexts. You also need to be sure your config.plist has what it needs. I believe GB's config.plist will mostly apply to your board, note there are two binary edit sections that should still work for you. Use your own DSDT, and if you're using the stock tonymac DSDT, you'll likely need NullCPUPowerManagement.kext also.

hi there! i am currently using rx 580 with orinoco fb inserted in the confing.plist. i want to know if can you boot to mac os installer without using any helper card and only with the rx 580( i believe you have connected it on displayport)? cause when i boot to mac os installer with my sapphire rx 580 nitro plus plugged in and connected to my monitor over hdmi causes black screen. the same happens after installing mac os (tried with high sierra) using gt 710 and later swapping with rx580. for now only orinoco frame buffer installed in config.plist is working with my rx 580. please do reply! thank you!
I am booting without any helper card and I am connected via Display Port and I am using the default frame buffer.

I'd recommend going the HS route, get that up and running and familiarize yourself with Clover. It's very different, and it's something I also had to overcome. Use the EFI folder attached here and install HS with it.
Done that ,and in did, it works. 1.Usb portioned--- GUID MacOS Ext. Journ. 2.Creatinstalmedia of opened dmg HS or Mojave to usb from application folder. 3. Mount Efi with Clover Configurator in usb volume. 4.Write with clover installer to Efi folder. 5.Copy from #1 EFI.zip to your EFI overwriting it.After with Clover Configurator change for your system ID to boot 14.2 or 5.1.
Sata ports from 0 to 7 works, 8 and 9 doesn't work. Leave just one disk for installation (many disks gives -- checking for the entries and reboot.)
Internet , audio, GTX 480( for HS ), RX 580 --- works. RX580 much better.
For booting from disk do the same as with usb, write with clover to disk efi and overwrite with EFI.zip #1 .
Sleep doesn't worked (for me) yet... ???

Last edited:
System automatically updated to 10.14.4 Beta(18E184d) and rebooted.
Working well - did not have to do anything or update any files.

System automatically updated to 10.14.4 Beta(18E205e) and rebooted.
Working well - did not have to do anything or update any files.

Today updated whatevergreen.kext, lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext and installed Mojave Public Beta 6.
Now running 10.14.4 Beta (18e220a)
System seems to be running well. Will report back tomorrow if new Whatevergreen and lilu are able to keep RX580 working on wakeup after hibernate sleep.

RX580 working well, wakes from sleep, wakes from overnight hibernation with latest kexts mentioned in post 76, now available from the forum downloads/kexts.

Just updated to 10.14.4 Beta (18e184e) and all is working well.
Updated Clover to latest Legacy build in forum downloads along with latest lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext first and the update went smoothly.

I just impulsively bought an RX580, then thought... bah, x58a Hack been kickin' butt as is, do you really need Mojave..? Was going to return the X580, unopened, but then I saw this good ol post by @goingbald. @goingbalds posts have helped me so much through the years. I am going to try Mojave this week!

Last edited:
Hello @Going Bald thanks for sharing you experience, I have been following your guide since the CostuMac Pro 2010. I have a pretty similar build. I'm Running a brand new clean install of Mojave 10.14.3 on a GA-X58a-UD5 + Xeon W3680 + RX580 + SSD 840 + 2 Displays

I don't know why my system got slower than before:

WITH SIERRA:

AND NOW WITH MOJAVE:

Do you have any Idea why this might happen?I attached my EFI for reference.

Thanks!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    16.1 MB · Views: 95
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back