Contribute
Register

X58A-UD3R: Stuck at Apple boot screen (Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev. 2.0 Bios FB

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

Graphics: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16

I used Lnx2mac's optimal boot settings while following tonymac's iBoot+multibeast install. I get as far as the apple load screen with the spinning wheel (after swapping iboot disc for retail snow leopard, then hitting f5). I have used safe mode -x and still can't get past this.

I am using a hard drive that i got from an external. It's 1.5TB 7200 Seagate brand. I partitioned it 900GB Mac OSX (journaled) and the rest ExFat at first. I thought this was the cause of my problems and took out the drive, formatted the whole thing as Mac OS (journaled) and partitioned it as 2 drives, 1 - 980GB, the 2nd 520GB. I ran out of ideas and if anyone would please help me, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

If you need specs on my other hardware please let me know.

-EDIT-

Just cause I can't figure out whats wrong, I'll say a few things of what I did and how I set up things. If you see something thats not right, please let me know.

-Updated the bios to FE.
-2 - 2GB sticks installed in slots 1 & 3. I even tried to install with a single 2GB stick in slot 1.
-GPU in slot PCIEX16_1
-Using the blue SATA2_1/0 for the optical drive, SATA2_3/2 for the HDD.
-Using HDMI output for my monitor and have a wireless keyboard mouse combo (S510) plugged into the rear usb port (nothing else connected).
-The disk I am using is a retail family pack disc which I bought when snow leopard first came out. I only used 3 out of the 5 install limits prior to this installation.

This is the first computer I ever built, but I'm assuming I did everything correctly. If a picture of my build will help you please let me know. Appreciate any help/input. Thanks.

I had a similar adventure with mine. Reset your bios to the optimized defaults, achi and cd boot priority. Then follow this: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=11465. If you want, you can go back and play with the bios settings later. G'Luck

I had issues when I went through and followed the guide to setting my bios.

Once I went back to Notshy's guide, though, and used the automatic "optimized" settings inside BIOS + the couple Notshy indicates to set, I've been running fine.

Now that I'm installed, and getting ready to overclock, I'm going to see what I can tweak in BIOS again.

Thanks for the advice guys. I tried out your suggestions but am still having the same trouble.

Do I need to use iBoot or iBoot Legacy? Could it be possible I have a defective hardware? Maybe I need to buy a single user retail disc? I'm just trying to imagine all scenarios.

Bulleh said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I tried out your suggestions but am still having the same trouble.

Do I need to use iBoot or iBoot Legacy? Could it be possible I have a defective hardware? Maybe I need to buy a single user retail disc? I'm just trying to imagine all scenarios.
I used iboot. I also used wired keyboard and mouse to get set up; I'm not sure if you're able to use the BT during set-up. Grasping at straws... can you try a DVI connection to your monitor? Also try your HDD on the lowest # sata port.

Bulleh said:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev. 2.0 Bios FB

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

Graphics: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16

I used Lnx2mac's optimal boot settings while following tonymac's iBoot+multibeast install. I get as far as the apple load screen with the spinning wheel (after swapping iboot disc for retail snow leopard, then hitting f5). I have used safe mode -x and still can't get past this.

I am using a hard drive that i got from an external. It's 1.5TB 7200 Seagate brand. I partitioned it 900GB Mac OSX (journaled) and the rest ExFat at first. I thought this was the cause of my problems and took out the drive, formatted the whole thing as Mac OS (journaled) and partitioned it as 2 drives, 1 - 980GB, the 2nd 520GB. I ran out of ideas and if anyone would please help me, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

If you need specs on my other hardware please let me know.

-EDIT-

Just cause I can't figure out whats wrong, I'll say a few things of what I did and how I set up things. If you see something thats not right, please let me know.

-Updated the bios to FE.
-2 - 2GB sticks installed in slots 1 & 3. I even tried to install with a single 2GB stick in slot 1.
-GPU in slot PCIEX16_1
-Using the blue SATA2_1/0 for the optical drive, SATA2_3/2 for the HDD.
-Using HDMI output for my monitor and have a wireless keyboard mouse combo (S510) plugged into the rear usb port (nothing else connected).
-The disk I am using is a retail family pack disc which I bought when snow leopard first came out. I only used 3 out of the 5 install limits prior to this installation.

This is the first computer I ever built, but I'm assuming I did everything correctly. If a picture of my build will help you please let me know. Appreciate any help/input. Thanks.
To install with you the 5770 vapor-x I had to connect DVI using the port below the vents. The DVI port in line with the HDMI and Display Port worked somewhat, but it was like changing channels on an old style vhf TV - every few minutes just colored snow for about 5-10 seconds and then the picture would come back. Both DVI ports work though, so you could probably use a DVI-> HDMI adapter if your monitor won't take DVI input.

Thanks for all the input. I switched my optical to be SATA_1 and my HDD to SATA_0 (Apologize for saying SATA_1/0 and SATA_2/3 in an earlier post, I thought they were the same connection because I didn't know there were 2 ports in a spot). I have a DVI to HDMI cable plugged into slot on the bottom currently. When I ran HDMI or the other DVI port, I had no problems with picture but I'm not sure if this was the cause so I changed it up. Also, my keyboard is a logitech S510 which is a wireless keyboard / mouse combo via USB (no BT). I'm going to be borrowing a friends wired mouse and keyboard tomorrow to see if that works because I still cant get past the Apple Logo screen.

I've burnt iBoot to a DVD instead of a CD. I looked around and saw that some users may have had trouble with DVD's. But I've been able to get to the iBoot screen and swap my retail disc in so does anyone know if my iBoot is working? I'll run down to the store and get a few CD's if anyone can verify this information for me. Thank you all!

Bulleh said:
Thanks for all the input. I switched my optical to be SATA_1 and my HDD to SATA_0 (Apologize for saying SATA_1/0 and SATA_2/3 in an earlier post, I thought they were the same connection because I didn't know there were 2 ports in a spot). I have a DVI to HDMI cable plugged into slot on the bottom currently. When I ran HDMI or the other DVI port, I had no problems with picture but I'm not sure if this was the cause so I changed it up. Also, my keyboard is a logitech S510 which is a wireless keyboard / mouse combo via USB (no BT). I'm going to be borrowing a friends wired mouse and keyboard tomorrow to see if that works because I still cant get past the Apple Logo screen.

I've burnt iBoot to a DVD instead of a CD. I looked around and saw that some users may have had trouble with DVD's. But I've been able to get to the iBoot screen and swap my retail disc in so does anyone know if my iBoot is working? I'll run down to the store and get a few CD's if anyone can verify this information for me. Thank you all!
Way back when it seems I remember that question coming up and the answer was it needed to be on a CD - can't remember why, it's been so long ago. Didn't really pay much attention at the time.

Going Bald said:
Bulleh said:

Way back when it seems I remember that question coming up and the answer was it needed to be on a CD - can't remember why, it's been so long ago. Didn't really pay much attention at the time.

Just tried iBoot on a CD-R. Still no success... guess the only left thing to do is to try USB wired keyboard and mouse.

I had the exact same problem, and I have a similar motherboard.

On your motherboard there are 2 types of SATA you have to change them both in the bios settings, it's a trap you can easily fall into. One's called GSATA BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back