AMD Ryzen 5900x
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I haven't update my system in more than a year, so I'm a bit rusty with all the new developments.

I've been running 11.3.1 on Opencore 0.6(ish) and it's been a dream. Everything works, which is why I've put off upgrading.

But I don't want to be 2 versions behind and fall into an even bigger trap, so I tried upgrading.

Upgraded to Opercore 0.8 along with all the kexts. I can boot into Big Sur just fine, everything still works. But as soon as the upgrade restarts and boots into the Installer drive, it hangs. See attached screengrab.

My config file is very clean and has my custom Bluetooth driver so I'd love to work from my own EFI as far as possible. But I've never encountered this error before so I'm a bit stumped at the moment.

Any help?

Attachments

• IMG_4122.jpg
    IMG_4122.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • EFI.zip
    12.3 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Follow up on my previous thread.

Thanks to @Middleman for sending me his EFI to test out. I've run multiple tests to see if I can get further into the installation. Here are my results:
  1. Devirtualise - no change
  2. SetupVirtualMap - no change
  3. EnableWriteProtect - no change
  4. SecureBootModel - no change
  5. Removed XhcpiPortLimit - no change
  6. Changed SecureBoot to default - no change
Then I tried with @Middleman 's EFI. I added back my SMBios details. We have the same core count so I didn't change that.
  1. Added in all his kernel patches - no change
  2. Kept my patches, Added the extra ACPI patches from his folder - no change
  3. Swopped out my ACPI folder with his
  4. Used my ACPI folder with his config.plist
All of these tests showed no change.

If I swop out his entire EFI folder with mine (with necessary SMBios updates and removing kexts not used etc), I do get further in the process but it just reboots on a panic. I'll do a video recording to try and capture the last few lines and upload that soon.

I've also gone through Dortania's guide on the ExitBS:Start and tried everything on there, but I'm still stuck.

At this point I can't think of anything else to try. Please help.

Last point, I haven't updated my MB Bios. Is it required?

Attachments

• EFI 12.3+ OC 0.7.9.zip
    37.3 MB · Views: 40
Follow up on my previous thread.

Thanks to @Middleman for sending me his EFI to test out. I've run multiple tests to see if I can get further into the installation. Here are my results:
  1. Devirtualise - no change
  2. SetupVirtualMap - no change
  3. EnableWriteProtect - no change
  4. SecureBootModel - no change
  5. Removed XhcpiPortLimit - no change
  6. Changed SecureBoot to default - no change
Then I tried with @Middleman 's EFI. I added back my SMBios details. We have the same core count so I didn't change that.
  1. Added in all his kernel patches - no change
  2. Kept my patches, Added the extra ACPI patches from his folder - no change
  3. Swopped out my ACPI folder with his
  4. Used my ACPI folder with his config.plist
All of these tests showed no change.

If I swop out his entire EFI folder with mine (with necessary SMBios updates and removing kexts not used etc), I do get further in the process but it just reboots on a panic. I'll do a video recording to try and capture the last few lines and upload that soon.

I've also gone through Dortania's guide on the ExitBS:Start and tried everything on there, but I'm still stuck.

At this point I can't think of anything else to try. Please help.

Last point, I haven't updated my MB Bios. Is it required?

@petrikleynhans

When you used my EFI, did you change the AMD GPU settings also to suit your RX580? I have a RX550 which is a slightly different beast. You need to use the following settings:

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 3.33.59 PM.png

and also change the boot-arg to npci=0x2000 agdpmod=ignore. In addition you need to upgrade the OC 0.7.9+ to boot into Monterey (which I already have). You must use my entire folder for it to work, not just the config.plist.
I'd also advise running ResetNVRAM tool before rebooting and running the new EFI.

@petrikleynhans

When you used my EFI, did you change the AMD GPU settings also to suit your RX580? I have a RX550 which is a slightly different beast. You need to use the following settings:

View attachment 549650

and also change the boot-arg to npci=0x2000 agdpmod=ignore. In addition you need to upgrade the OC 0.7.9+ to boot into Monterey (which I already have). You must use my entire folder for it to work, not just the config.plist.
I'd also advise running ResetNVRAM tool before rebooting and running the new EFI.
@Middleman

Thanks for the feedback!

I have managed to get a working EFI using your folder as a base. I had to add AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext in order to get past my last error before booting in, but for now I have a semi-stable Monterey system:)

If you would be willing to look at my setup one more time, I would really appreciate it.

Things I know are wrong / not working:
1. I tried your advise regarding the graphics card, but then my boot sequence just goes into a loop. I'll try to get a photo when I get the time to test it again.
2. Monterey is working with you graphics card. I ran a geekbench test, it shows my card as a RX580 but the performance doesn't match up.
3. Sleep / wake isn't working.
4. My Bluetooth is working but with very different settings than my last setup. I've been patching BrcmPatchRAM with my specific card info to get it to work (BCM20702AO). But with Monterey it made all the drives apart from Monterey not to load. Do I need to fix it? Images attached
Screenshot 2022-06-16 at 14.10.37.png
Screenshot 2022-06-16 at 14.11.12.png

5. My EFI is very cluttered at the moment. Any chance you can make recommendations what I can remove to make my setup more Vanilla?

Thanks so much for your help and making your EFI available. I really appreciate it and support we get on this platform!

Attachments

• efi.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 61
H
@Middleman

Thanks for the feedback!

I have managed to get a working EFI using your folder as a base. I had to add AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext in order to get past my last error before booting in, but for now I have a semi-stable Monterey system:)

If you would be willing to look at my setup one more time, I would really appreciate it.

Things I know are wrong / not working:
1. I tried your advise regarding the graphics card, but then my boot sequence just goes into a loop. I'll try to get a photo when I get the time to test it again.
2. Monterey is working with you graphics card. I ran a geekbench test, it shows my card as a RX580 but the performance doesn't match up.
3. Sleep / wake isn't working.
4. My Bluetooth is working but with very different settings than my last setup. I've been patching BrcmPatchRAM with my specific card info to get it to work (BCM20702AO). But with Monterey it made all the drives apart from Monterey not to load. Do I need to fix it? Images attachedView attachment 549780View attachment 549781
5. My EFI is very cluttered at the moment. Any chance you can make recommendations what I can remove to make my setup more Vanilla?

Thanks so much for your help and making your EFI available. I really appreciate it and support we get on this platform!
Hi petrikleynhans,

Sorry for the long wait, was very busy today.

First of all thanks for your kind words. I am glad my help got your system going! It is not easy after all to configure up a good system.

Anyways so I've gone ahead and had a look at your EFI. I have added in items that I feel should make it more complete. It is now also Monterey 12.4 compatible.

I also discovered the reason why your card didn't work so well - you didn't follow my instructions to change the device-id for the RX580 (which I had done so).

The SSDTs you also had removed were actually integral to the system. We need the XHC renames as well as the DTPG and TB3 files for the Thunderbolt. SSDT-USBW was for USB wake. The SSDT-CPUR is all you need for the processor.

For the Bluetooth, I've decided to use the Brcm files as they should be the ones to use (unless you have a different card).

I've also gone ahead and cleaned up the kexts. All kexts installed/added are pretty much required. Also I've left you the option to choose between USBMap or USBPorts for the USBMap.

Let me know how it works for you.

Attachments

• EFI-petrickleynhans.zip
    34.1 MB · Views: 50
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back