Contribute
Register

X299 - Open Core support

Status
Not open for further replies.
should be on the github @djlild7hina i dont have a link.

(on another note) im gonna be adapting it to the latest release and ill resend to you.

shael,

would you mind share your EFI right now? let's have a test.

@Junologue and others: If I want to run an LG Ultrafine Display (which only has Thunderbolt 3 in), then I need a Mobo with a TB_HEADER + TB3 PCIe card + any GPU with Display Port out. Alternatively, I could use a mobo like the Asus Prime X299-Deluxe II, which has the equivalent of a TB3 card in its built-in I/Os. Just hook up the GPU to the DPin... Am I on the right track with this?

And I'm back! I was gone for a bit and pulled the trigger on a 9960X instead of a 10980XE.

Everything seems to be working so far including full Thunderbolt 3 support.

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 04.04.15.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 04.11.08.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 04.12.22.png

Hey guys! I made a bit of a mess

I wiped off my main drive to reinstall macOS from scratch. Now the USB installer made me format NVMe drive in HFS or APFS. But it doesn't let me install on APFS due to firmware stuff. So I choose HFS+, it started but later one it says it cannot go ahead 'cause firmware is not updated. So, i'm in a loop, it doesn't let me initiate install on APFS but later cannot continue on HFS 'cause it needs APFS (I think due to the fact Catalina requires APFS) I haven't tried starting from mojave since OpenCore is not working for mojave. Any hints?

EDIT: I've read something about you need to install Mojave first then Catalina to let apfs work properly... I'm a bit discouraged

Last edited:
Friend, Mojave works perfectly with OpenCore. What does not work with Mojave is SMBIOS MacPro 7,1.
You need to switch back to ImacPro1,1.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 15.22.16.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 15.22.16.png
    313.2 KB · Views: 72
Friend, Mojave works perfectly with OpenCore. What does not work with Mojave is SMBIOS MacPro 7,1.
You need to switch back to ImacPro1,1.
I think I’ve solved, now it’s installing. I was not using the automatic general mode in platform info and in previous config I had a old firmware described.

EDIT: Yes I've solved! it was a config.plist issue. I was using an old BIOS version in Platform Info SMBIOS stuff, now switched to Automatic / Generic

When I was using SMBIOS/DataHub/PlatformNVRAM I added "3841" (0xF01 in Hex) to SMBIOS-->ProcessorType and it showed correctly "Intel Xeon W 18 core" since I got a 9980XE and MacPro7,1 SMBIOS. Now, with latest changes to config.plist sample, we're forced to use the Automatic/Generic mode which doesn't give us the ability to modify ProcessorType. Is there a way to solve this? I know in other SMBIOSes / CPUs OpenCore is able to retrieve ProcessorType automatically, but it seems to not be able to do the same for us. How do you guys solved this?

Last edited:
And I'm back! I was gone for a bit and pulled the trigger on a 9960X instead of a 10980XE.

Everything seems to be working so far including full Thunderbolt 3 support.

Does TB3 work better (easier to setup) with OpenCore vs Clover? I'm still on Clover, but haven't been able to get TB3 to work well.

Does TB3 work better (easier to setup) with OpenCore vs Clover? I'm still on Clover, but haven't been able to get TB3 to work well.

Clover and Opencore is the same I believe as far as TB goes. I flashed my card with a modified firmware that makes it behave more like a real mac. You can see more information in CaseySJ's thread here

Clover and Opencore is the same I believe as far as TB goes. I flashed my card with a modified firmware that makes it behave more like a real mac. You can see more information in CaseySJ's thread here

Interesting! I’ll need todo some reading because that doesn’t look like a simple process.

What are you plugging the usb header cable into? There doesn’t seem to be a usb 2.0 internal header on the Asus X299 Sage...

Interesting! I’ll need todo some reading because that doesn’t look like a simple process.

What are you plugging the usb header cable into? There doesn’t seem to be a usb 2.0 internal header on the Asus X299 Sage...
Internal USB 3 to USB 2 adapter. Not using the front USB 3 ports.
Alternatively you can get a couple of adapters to wire the back USB ports to internal.
CRJ 9-Pin USB IDC Dupont Male Header to Single USB 2.0 Type A Male Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q4QZW57/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back