Contribute
Register

X299 - Open Core support

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is attached ;)

Each time I reset Nvram, My BIOS boot priorities are also erased :thumbdown.
Is it a normal behaviour ?
Thanks
Windows & OSX do not play well together in the standard version of OC, so try this, it should solve your default boot selection:

Create a separate custom entry for Windows. You'll need the exact path to do this.
Several methods are possible to find the path but this one is the easiest:
Boot with clover, select your windows drive, press space bar you'll see something like this:

378308332_cloverscreenshot.thumb.png.9b968a7a40e784377230511050deed93.png

PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x17,0x0)\Sata(0x5,0xFFFF,0x0)\HD(1,GPT,4C15DB92-F532-11E9-AF6E-E172391D34E9,0x800,0xFA000)\EFI\microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efii

But the custom entry path recognized by OC is actually this one: ( The custom entry path used in the OC config.plist )

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x17,0x0)/Sata(0x5,0xFFFF,0x0)/HD(1,GPT,4C15DB92-F532-11E9-AF6E-E172391D34E9,0x800,0xFA000)/\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

( some dashes are reversed & clover efi is written "efii" )

• Create a new entry with your path in OpenCore/Misc/Entries

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 17.44.13.png

You can even disable it or enable auxiliary if you want; Windows selection will appear in the GUI only if you press spacebar.

Done.

@NVRAM reset. Changing the bios boot order might occur.
However, if your EFI is stable you don't need to reset NVRAM regularly. If you only change the parameters of your config/plist, NVRAM reset is not necessary. It is mandatory if you change from Clover EFI to OC EFI.

Test & report back :headbang:

Last edited:
Hi All,

Sorry this is a bit long, but this is my first ever attempt at a Hackintosh, and honestly I'm a total novice, so any suggestions would be very apprciated.

First the system I'm working on is:
Gigabyte X2992 Aorus Master
i9-10989 XE
Corsair ram 3200mhz DDR4
Sapphire 5700xt
Samsung 970 plus NVMe drives

I have tried the dortania guide, but wasn't able to build an EFI that would even boot into OpenCore.
So I looked around for something more specific to my build and found this thread. I've read through it, very helpful, and downloaded @Ellybz EFI N-D-K version. When I put this EFI on my USB stick it booted up into the install MacOS screen. I've attached an image of what I'm seeing, just incase that hints at where my issues are.

I've seen several posts around about BIOS settings, but the only really specific one I saw was about 2 years old, it was for a X299 Gigabyte board but running Clover, so generally speaking I have the same options, but not completely. Anyway I thought it was a good start point, and agreed with other stuff I'd read, so I used it. If it help here is the thread, the BIOS settings are on page 1.

So the I select Install MacOS, the white Apple logo appears and the progress bar fills 100%, but then it hangs up.

I assume this is something in the BIOS, but as I said, noob, so if it's something else I'm open to try anything.

I have tried a bunch of variations on the BIOS settings, but I get the same hang up.

The only edit I made to the EFI, after several attempts with it completely as is, was to change the PlatformInfo. I used the GetSMBIOS tool, still with iMacPro1,1, but got the UUID etc from that and filled it in. It seems to not have made any difference. I still hang at the same place.

So any advice or suggestions would be welcome, I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7059.JPG
    IMG_7059.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7063.JPG
    IMG_7063.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
don't you get bios failure all the time ?
I have not, but since I can't get past this first screen I really don't know if I would. After I reset I do get a screen saying there was a boot failure, and it is asking if I want to reset to the defaults.

I have not, but since I can't get past this first screen I really don't know if I would. After I reset I do get a screen saying there was a boot failure, and it is asking if I want to reset to the defaults.

Congrats for making the jump :).
During an installation process you should always use verbose mode so you can see if/where it hangs.
( press command+v /Win+v ) before starting the install.
Also reported by another user, because you have a newer CPU, try to remove to CPUID data from the config.plist
( deleting the data entries from Cpuid1Data & Cpuid1Mask )

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 22.52.12.png

Take also a moment to read this thread. You might need some extra SSDTs to boot with your specific mobo.

Lastly the EFI I posted has device properties, SSDTs, custom USB Kext proper to MY configuration. They need to be adapted to your specific Motherboard.
Worst case scenario, delete them ( not the best idea ) before using the EFI or you might encounter some nasty bugs.
If it's your first hack, you will get some sweats, as all of us did, but you'll get thru it, I have no doubts ;)
Good luck.

Last edited:
Congrats for making the jump :).
During an installation process you should always use verbose mode so you can see if/where it hangs.
( press command+v /Win+v ) before starting the install.
Also reported by another user, because you have a newer CPU, try to remove to CPUID data from the config.plist
( deleting the data entries from Cpuid1Data & Cpuid1Mask )

View attachment 469459

Take also a moment to read this thread. You might need some extra SSDTs to boot with your specific mobo.

Lastly the EFI I posted has device properties, SSDTs, custom USB Kext proper to MY configuration. They need to be adapted to your specific Motherboard.
Worst case scenario, delete them ( not the best idea ) before using the EFI or you might encounter some nasty bugs.
If it's your first hack, you will get some sweats, as all of us did, but you'll get thru it, I have no doubts ;)
Good luck.

I think I'll be showing exactly my level of noob here, but when you say they need to be adapted to my motherboard, I assume there values etc that would need changing.

Again maybe I'm showing how over my head I am, but I'm assuming this has to do with use the DSDT I got using SSDTTime, and using values from it to customize the SSDTs?

I'll try to verbose when I get home tonight. I have seen in your previous posts that using the DEBUG version of OC would dump this into a TXT file? Should I leave in you NDK version of OpenCore or use the DEBUG one?

Sorry these are such basic level questions, I jumped into this with my eyes closed, I've never programed so much as a VCR.

Thanks

I think I'll be showing exactly my level of noob here, but when you say they need to be adapted to my motherboard, I assume there values etc that would need changing.

Again maybe I'm showing how over my head I am, but I'm assuming this has to do with use the DSDT I got using SSDTTime, and using values from it to customize the SSDTs?

I'll try to verbose when I get home tonight. I have seen in your previous posts that using the DEBUG version of OC would dump this into a TXT file? Should I leave in you NDK version of OpenCore or use the DEBUG one?

Sorry these are such basic level questions, I jumped into this with my eyes closed, I've never programed so much as a VCR.

Thanks

Take your time with OpenCore guide, I assure you that it works well. Anyway, your problem could be your motherboard, because it's know X299X mobos aren't easy to operate, they mess up with MSR Registry. I read around that's workaround-able but don't know exactly how.

hi,
I have just successfuly using OpenCore on my Asrock X299E-ITX/AC and i9-7980XE but the only thing not working is the ethernet
it shows up, detected but no connection, I only can use WiFi.
and here is my EFI and the screenshot :
Thankyou

Fixed, everything works now :)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Not to be a pest here, but do you think you can change the title to "X299 OpenCore" instead? I'm on Gigabyte and I'm pretty sure we can assist others with several X299 Motherboards :)
I’ll go ahead and change the thread name and probably split the github repo like
Asus
-> Prime Deluxe
Gigabyte
-> Aorus Gaming

If you guys feel it is appropriate to create a new thread go ahead and I’ll just switch back :)
Thanks @Ellybz for your help and support : :thumbup:

I managed to "move" on OpenCore three of my builds with the folowing motherboards :
- X299 Gigabyte Ultra Gaming Pro
- X299 Gigabyte UD4 Pro
- X299 Asus Prime Deluxe ( of course just now)
Only left for the moment :
- X299 EVGA FTWK ( in progress)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back